Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Ed 'Crusty' Pye details

Information on pre- and post WW2 rider Ed 'Crusty' Pye would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Been done once or twice 

• Like 1

I have found out that I saw Ed 'Crusty' Pye in action when I attended New Cross for my first ever speedway meeting on Wednesday, April 17, 1946.

Edited by Guest

Blimey, the amount of threads and other times you have mentioned that meeting on here and it has just dawned on you that ol Crusty was riding :rofl:

• Haha 1

Edwin Pye made a few appearances at Dagenham in 1936 aged 22.  He was a member of the Dagenham team in 1937 and 1938, when he won the Stan Greatrex Trophy after beating Jack Tidbury in a run-off.  In 1938 and 1939 he was given a few opportunities in the Harringay team, but struggled at the higher level.  His performances at second division level with Lea Bridge in 1938 were more productive and he recorded maximum points at home to Leeds at the end of September. With Lea Bridge closed, Pye linked up with first division Southampton in 1939 but again struggled for points.  After the war he rode in one meeting for West Ham and made a couple of appearances at New Cross in 1946 before joining Northern League Middlesbrough.  He spent two seasons there, contributing useful scores as the team won two successive league titles.  A poor start to the 1948 season with second division Newcastle resulted in a transfer to third division Coventry, where he produced some good scores. When Coventry moved up to the second division in 1949 Pye was unable to maintain his form and retired at the end of the season, aged 35.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

I have found out that I saw Ed 'Crusty' Pye in action when I attended New Cross for my first ever speedway meeting on Wednesday, April 17, 1946.

Did you only just discover that, or did you know previously?

2 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Edwin Pye made a few appearances at Dagenham in 1936 aged 22.  He was a member of the Dagenham team in 1937 and 1938, when he won the Stan Greatrex Trophy after beating Jack Tidbury in a run-off.  In 1938 and 1939 he was given a few opportunities in the Harringay team, but struggled at the higher level.  His performances at second division level with Lea Bridge in 1938 were more productive and he recorded maximum points at home to Leeds at the end of September. With Lea Bridge closed, Pye linked up with first division Southampton in 1939 but again struggled for points.  After the war he rode in one meeting for West Ham and made a couple of appearances at New Cross in 1946 before joining Northern League Middlesbrough.  He spent two seasons there, contributing useful scores as the team won two successive league titles.  A poor start to the 1948 season with second division Newcastle resulted in a transfer to third division Coventry, where he produced some good scores. When Coventry moved up to the second division in 1949 Pye was unable to maintain his form and retired at the end of the season, aged 35.

I think John was looking for some domestic details. Like what did Crusty have for breakfast on Wednesday, April 17, 1946?

I'll get my coat.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

I think John was looking for some domestic details. Like what did Crusty have for breakfast on Wednesday, April 17, 1946?

Or maybe who had him for breakfast……

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, norbold said:

Or maybe who had him for breakfast……

Jack Keen from Erith probably ……

I've just joined this forum to share memories of 'Crusty' Pye who I remember at Coventry Bees.

His name came up due to the death of Gordon Kennett who I didn't know but was notified of his passing which led me to think about the few seasons I spent as a < 10yo sprog visiting Brandon Speedway with my parents & siblings every Saturday. I recalled Alan Hunt who rode for Cradley Heath and we all concidered him a 'dirty' rider. This led me to mention it to my sister who reminded my that we all liked 'Crusty' - but, if I recall correctly - because he was allways last !

The particular incident that sis & I both recall with some hilarity was when Crusty came off and his helmet rolled along the track causing Mother to exclaim "His head's come off!!"   This was 75 years ago and still brings a massive smile to my face at the memory!

• Like 2