British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Guest riders

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

I guess technically you could have 6 guests and r/r in operation plus a number 8? 

Ok.  Guess its a tricky one to make rules on as high risk sport, so probability of genuine rider absence is high, but too many guests and you start to question whether it really is X team getting that result.  

I have often thought that guests should be neutrally appointed. Problem would be, who would take up this " poison challis".

1 hour ago, brianbuck said:

Once again the speedway season is being blighted by the rampant and seemingly out of control use of guest riders, many of whom seem to be far superior to the riders that they are replacing.

Perhaps it would be a useful idea to introduce a rule to the effect that:

1. A guest rider cannot be used as a tactical substitute.

2. A guest rider cannot be nominated for a heat 15 ride.

Any thoughts on something like this?

They only seem to be superior.Averages dictate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Maybe there shouldn't be any team members apart from 2 managers. The first 14 or 16 riders to rock-up are in, the 2 managers can do rock, paper, scissors to see who gets 1st pick and so on? ;)

Memories of the frequent humiliation of being picked last for teams at school sports coming back now!  LOL

Too riders out injured and it might come to that tho

• Like 1

The one thing that eeked me was last night !, opposing sides Guest got stuck in traffic at 5pm,

so in my eyes that team should of used R/R, with reserves taking his rides till he turns up ,

not using another Guest who's fixture was postponed earlier in the day, It is making a mockery

of the sport.

We have seen teams riders turn up late before haven't we.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianbuck said:

Once again the speedway season is being blighted by the rampant and seemingly out of control use of guest riders, many of whom seem to be far superior to the riders that they are replacing.

Perhaps it would be a useful idea to introduce a rule to the effect that:

1. A guest rider cannot be used as a tactical substitute.

2. A guest rider cannot be nominated for a heat 15 ride.

Any thoughts on something like this?

How about third rule.

3. A guest rider cannot be called Chris Harris. (That should do it).

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

The one thing that eeked me was last night !, opposing sides Guest got stuck in traffic at 5pm,

so in my eyes that team should of used R/R, with reserves taking his rides till he turns up ,

not using another Guest who's fixture was postponed earlier in the day, It is making a mockery

of the sport.

We have seen teams riders turn up late before haven't we.?

When Bomber turns up to guest there should be a rule that he can only Guest for the HOME Team.that should keep everybody happy.

All teams are doing it though and making themselves much stronger 

Plymouth - Harris/Lawson for Kennett 

Birmingham - Howarth for Auty 

Newcastle - literally anyone for BWD 

not loads of ways around it in all honesty short of running R/R 

43 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Just ban them.Or make it count towards their average.

That would be bomber goosed.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

When Bomber turns up to guest there should be a rule that he can only Guest for the HOME Team.that should keep everybody happy.

To think I was joking Yesterday about Harris taking Morris's place at Oxford!! It's obviously just being accentuated this season with 2/3 riders who it's pretty clear not returning and one rider showing up at the majority of the tracks in their place. I don't see an alternative, don't think be able to limit number of bookings and r/r for no.1 never going to cut it. 

Squad systems maybe but we've hardly enough riders to go around as it is so pretty much a non starter as things stand

Does this not mean the away side have to name their team 4 days before said meeting, naming guests included ?.,or have i got it wrong ?

REG,s    2022

.010.4 TEAM NOTIFICATIONS Home teams must notify their opponents of the team line-up at least 5 days before the meeting to which the away team must respond within 24 hours with their team line-up.  Notifications must be in writing, include MA’s and where applicable, the reason for facilities being used.  
At least 3 days before the meeting, the home promotion must log the team line-ups, including PJL, NJL and MSDL teams, at the nominated SCB website.  The information must include each riders MA, details of any rider   in a team’s current declaration who will be missing, the full reason for absence and the facility being used along with the name and MA of any guest rider.  

44 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

Does this not mean the away side have to name their team 4 days before said meeting, naming guests included ?.,or have i got it wrong ?

REG,s    2022

.010.4 TEAM NOTIFICATIONS Home teams must notify their opponents of the team line-up at least 5 days before the meeting to which the away team must respond within 24 hours with their team line-up.  Notifications must be in writing, include MA’s and where applicable, the reason for facilities being used.  
At least 3 days before the meeting, the home promotion must log the team line-ups, including PJL, NJL and MSDL teams, at the nominated SCB website.  The information must include each riders MA, details of any rider   in a team’s current declaration who will be missing, the full reason for absence and the facility being used along with the name and MA of any guest rider.  

Am sure in the past, Newcastle couldn't use a guest, at Edinburgh a think. It may have been someone like Kenneth Hansen for Tero?,,, there was something mentioned about 72 hours notice, may well have just been an excuse, but hey-ho. 

49 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

REG,s    2022

If the above is true then how can a rider replace the notified guest on the day of an meeting when the new guest's meeting has been postponed?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

If the above is true then how can a rider replace the notified guest on the day of an meeting when the new guest's meeting has been postponed?

Rule: In the best interest of the sport comes into play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

I guess technically you could have 6 guests and r/r in operation plus a number 8? 

Redcar once named a team consisting of 6 guests and r/r for a fixture at Sheffield in 2017.

Luckily for the sport's credibility it was rained off.  When restaged Redcar only tracked 5 guests (+ r/r and Jonas B Anderson)