British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brianbuck

Guest riders

23 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Who is the governing body?

The Mafia lol

• Thanks 1

The NDL has an excellent rule -- "any eligible rider in the NDL can only guest twice at the same track during a season"

That would be for home or away teams.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, crescent girl said:

The NDL has an excellent rule -- "any eligible rider in the NDL can only guest twice at the same track during a season"

That would be for home or away teams.

Interesting and will see how it pans out for the remainder of the season. Just off quick scans Alfie Bowtell has already guested twice for Plymouth so can't for them anymore or any visiting side. 

I assume same applies for unattached riders also?

Perhaps the home team could race in white suits and the away team in black suits. They could all be named “Stig”, no one would care who’s who and one rider could cover for several team mates on both sides. Rider shortage resolved over night!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Deano said:

Perhaps the home team could race in white suits and the away team in black suits. They could all be named “Stig”, no one would care who’s who and one rider could cover for several team mates on both sides. Rider shortage resolved over night!

Tbh with team kevlars it feels a bit like that anyway lol  Yes some riders' styles you can pick out but not all, especially away riders!

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, Fina said:

With all the comments I see about lack of riders and a lot racing abroad half the week I wonder if there would there be enough available as guests is appearances were limited?

A question I have on guests is whether there is a limit to how many guests a team can have for one meeting?  Think it was last week there were 3 guests in a team for one meeting.

Back in the "good old days" Leicester once rode a home match with 6 guests.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Back in the "good old days" Leicester once rode a home match with 6 guests.

I think it was an away match at Swindon. Douglas Underwood plus six guests in the mid 70s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I think it was an away match at Swindon. Douglas Underwood plus six guests in the mid 70s.

Bomber must be gutted to not have been born until 1982, as he would have been a shoe in for one of those slots.....:D

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Trees said:

Tbh with team kevlars it feels a bit like that anyway lol  Yes some riders' styles you can pick out but not all, especially away riders!

Isn't the number on the front/back of their kevlars/jackets a bit of a clue?!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Isn't the number on the front/back of their kevlars/jackets a bit of a clue?!

And sometimes on the side of their bikes too...!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arnieg said:

If Dougie was the only Lion, it was a pity we couldn’t have had seven guests! Nice chap, but so was my Grandad and I wouldn’t have wanted either of them riding for the Lions!

Most supporters agree that the Guest Rider system has degenerated into an uncontrollable farce.

Logically, speedway cannot really do without it, since if the sport is to be watchable, the teams have to be of reasonably equal strength - and in this current season, that isn't the case - so couldn't we restrict what clubs can do or can't do with their guest?

How about saying that you guest cannot be nominated for heat 15 and couldn't be used as a tactical substitute? Again, when choosing a guest, the rule could limit a club's choice to a rider whose inclusion would not make their overall points average greater than that of their opponents?

As an example, Poole's next away match is at Newcastle, a meeting they will expect a fairly comfortable win. Should Poole's top rider be out injured, they will probably book the best rider in the league as a guest, but with the restrictions I suggest, they would have to tailor their choice to the strength of Newcastle, which might even force them to bring in a number 8!

I'm not having a pop at Poole. In such circumstances, they will do what the rules allow them to do, but some restriction which would apply to all clubs would surely be beneficial to the paying public as to speedway in general?