British Speedway Forum
chunky

Favourite Memorabilia

It would have been Tommy Jansson's autograph if my mum hadn't had a clear-out of my old bedroom after I left home and chucked out my autograph books.

I've got the Stenners Annuals 1950 thru 1954 covering the seasons 1949 thru 1953, one of the things I am most interested in are the World Champion Final qualifiers- it's amazing how many well known riders almost qualified but didn't ever make it Also the standard of literacy in those annuals is far superior to modern publications-maybe speaks to educational standards declining. Also have the 1963 Speedway Digest covering the 1962 season-good obituary on Jack Unstead killed in a track accident in the 62 season. Len Silver was PLRC champ that year (riding for Exeter). I also have the British Speedway Handbooks for the first 2 seasons- plus as  I have mentioned before the programmes of every meeting I ever attended (so glad I kept 'em, sometimes I take a look at them and it brings back memories of those times.)

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 6:45 PM, BOBBATH said:

Also the standard of literacy in those annuals is far superior to modern publications-maybe speaks to educational standards declining.

Not just publications - everything. I have a few modern bigraphies and the like, and I really have trouble reading them; most look like they have been written by a 10-year-old. As for websites, well... There is hardly a website I check that doesn't have appalling grammar or spelling, and that includes "legitimate" news sites like BBC, CNN, and most of our local TV and newspaper sites.

It has to be the result of educational standards declining - partially - but a lot of it just comes down to laziness, and a lack of pride. With all the technology available, it has never been easier to spellcheck, so why are there so many mistakes?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Not just publications - everything. I have a few modern bigraphies and the like, and I really have trouble reading them; most look like they have been written by a 10-year-old. As for websites, well... There is hardly a website I check that doesn't have appalling grammar or spelling, and that includes "legitimate" news sites like BBC, CNN, and most of our local TV and newspaper sites.

It has to be the result of educational standards declining - partially - but a lot of it just comes down to laziness, and a lack of pride. With all the technology available, it has never been easier to spellcheck, so why are there so many mistakes?

Also, sort of on this theme. I have been watching repeats of Bullseye on television - "Let's see what you could have won." The quiz questions are so much harder than on popular quizzes today and, what's more, the contestants know the answers to most of them.

• Like 2

I'm currently in the process of listing my entire collection of speedway memorabilia, which i have decided to sell. I sold my collection of race jackets recently and having retrieved over fifty years of stuff from my bulging loft, it was fascinating to go through it all and find things that i had forgotten i had. 

The one thing that i wont sell however, is a signed, framed picture of Bill Kitchen that his wife asked him to sign whilst literally on his deathbed. It must be the last autograph he ever signed and it takes pride of place in my office at home.

• Like 3

My brother once owned a most bizarre collection of samples of shale from tracks around the country (contained in those "Tic-Tac" boxes) including Wembley!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

My brother once owned a most bizarre collection of samples of shale from tracks around the country (contained in those "Tic-Tac" boxes) including Wembley!

I've got a few of those.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:54 AM, norbold said:

Also, sort of on this theme. I have been watching repeats of Bullseye on television - "Let's see what you could have won." The quiz questions are so much harder than on popular quizzes today and, what's more, the contestants know the answers to most of them.

Back in the day- Tipping point was by far the easiest :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Back in the day- Tipping point was by far the easiest :D

Absolutely, r&r. A very easy way to earn 10 grand. Just surprised more people didn't think of it. ;)

On 5/29/2022 at 7:27 AM, steve roberts said:

I used to go round the pits after a meeting and scrape my autograph book across rear tyres of bikes then write down whose bike the dirt came from and the date.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:27 AM, steve roberts said:

Apparently one time rider Vic Lonsdale used to collect "jars of shale!"

I was always a bit puzzled when some people thought speedway fans were weird.......it is all becoming clearer now though :rolleyes::D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My favourite memorbilla is my full set of home and away Wimbledon programmes from my first season attending speedway live in 1976. Alongside a badge from every GBL and NNL team from that year.

• Like 1

What happened to Vic Lonsdale-is he still with us

27 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

What happened to Vic Lonsdale-is he still with us

He passed away in December 1991.