British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

27/28 May - Scunny v Leicester KOC

In all fairness not really interested in the bickering another young rider hurt doing what he loves for our enjoyment. Not sure many who were there and seen the crash are been critical that meeting was called off i for one ain't bothered more concerned Joe is ok. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dave1964 said:

Ouch! 
quite cutting comments about Beaumont Park from the Scunthorpe TV presenters. 
“who’d want to go to Leicester?” Plus some comment about the quality of the racing! Well  at least we’ve got two ambulances! This one could go on a bit tonight. 

Ah, the Leicester track…crap… no passing…quality of racing etc, seem to recall this may have come up before. The best riders have never made an excuse for the BP track (which does seem to be getting better), attack it and find racing lines to pass. That goes for home and away riders. On the subject of the Scunny stream presenters, I watched the Lions league match recently (didn’t bother with tonight) and found them to be quite embarrassing. I accept that they may be doing it for free, fair play on that front, but they really need to up their game before they could be considered anything near amateurs. 
Most important thing about tonight of course is young Joe’s injury. Fingers crossed for him.

• Like 1

Yes we are all concerned for the young lad who had a nasty accident and I hope he gets back on the bike asap, but it doesn't mean we can't have a good winge and moan cause that's what speedway fans are the best at to be honest.

• Like 2

Aarnio given a 14 day ban for not making it back in time from the world long track event Jamie holder and Justin sedgmen to guest tomorrow along with a potential guest for Ryan Douglas who aggravated his shoulder injury in heat 1 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Firstly best wishes with Joe. 

It is a joke though isn't it. The Chairman whose management committee churn out fines for lack of ambulance cover, derogatory comments, missing riders. 

He runs a tin pot operation. No extra ambulance cover, riders missing again, slagging off opponents over pa system and a thing called a programme that breaches the trades description act. 

The Boris Johnson of British Speedway, bringing the sport in to disrepute, lowering it to Scunthorpe level, a few hundred fans, poor facilities, levelling down. Dictatorship. 

God help us. Time for change. 

Maybe, at this time, thoughts should be with Joe.

Meanwhile, just to confirm that the Scunthorpe promotion will allow those with stamped re-admission tickets from tonight full re-entry (without additional payment) for a future Scorpions meeting at the EWR this season using their tickets. This is a goodwill gesture by the club above and beyond the speedway regulations. Earlier in this season, another club took another route after a meeting was called off after two heats.

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Birmingham repeated. Bad for the sport when a second ambulance is £250. Poole next week. Too far to go to watch a few heats. Will Scunthorpe sort out the mess or will it be repeated? 

Scunny av Redcar & Glasgow at home before Poole who are there on the 17th June.

But it's on the night & available paramedic's it seems as per Godfrey's report on the Scunny website.

Pays yer money takes yer chances which is no way to be thinking when attending a meeting at Scunny. 

Maybe all tracks should be made to declare how many paramedics & ambulances will be in attendance when the team line ups are announced??!!!!!! 

As you quite rightly ask questions Steve about attending when Poole are there............

Again, it doesn't matter how valid a club's reasons are for calling a meeting off the bottom line is this puts people off!......ok the weather is accepted, in most cases, for a call off. 

Hope Joe Alcock as a speedy recovery :t:

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 2

Thats 2season ending injuries at scunthorpe so far this season, best wishes to you Joe and Dan gilkes. You would have thought lessons would have been learnt about having adequate medical cover but obviously not. As for the derogatory comments on the streaming about Leicesters track just confirms the bloke is a bit of tool,made similar comments about Plymouth  very amateurish. Pot,kettle, black springs to mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Scunthorpe av a permanent paramedic anyways......GODFREY! :D

Jeez Rob Godfrey! I think he tried to crack a Dad's Army joke in his statement when he said the Air Ambulance provided entertainment!!!

He seems to forget that it wasn't there for entertainment! :nono:

I can just picture Captain Mainwaring saying to him, "You stupid boy!" :rofl:

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Godfrey, if you think this is how speedway should be run?!

Great to hear from Joe, update from hospital 

http://scunthorpe-speedway.com/?p=14402

All the best, speedy recovery :t:

Edited by Turnip

Right! There's quite a bit to unpack here...

God Robfrey: "I can only apologise to the fans again, but I hope they realise that it was an event beyond our control". What exactly was out of the control of the promotion? Joe Alcock crashing that's all, absolutely everything else was in control of the promotion, they took the decision to run a meeting with inadequate medical cover knowing full well that if the ambulance was required to travel to hospital that would be the meeting called. And if they didn't know that, they should, there have been quite a few meetings in recent years where there has been inadequate medical cover, especially post pandemic/Brexit, now the NHS is under such strain and yet these chancers still don't have the insurance of a 2nd medical crew. They nearly got lucky with the fact that the air ambulance was in the air already and was able to attend but for whatever reason they didn't want to take Joe to the hospital.

And look at the full statement and last night when he addressed the crowd over the PA system... except for the apology and wishing Joe well, he made it all about himself and how he wished he hadn't got up and what a disaster of a day it had been... and then in the statement on the website sought to absolve himself of all responsibility by using the old circumstances beyond our control line! Even Boris Johnson would be proud with his lack of responsibility.

Where I will give him credit is the gesture of goodwill in "allowing" full re-admission to another match... even though he didn't have to, he felt the need to add on to the end of the sentence. This might lead some Birmingham fans to question their promotion's statement "Whilst it is not appropriate to deviate from the official re-admission policy agreed between all clubs and the BSPL, they have decided to offer a free programme to supporters who come along with their Berwick re-admission ticket." after one of their fiasco's earlier in the season.

So let's look at a night out at the leader of British Speedway's track...

You turn up after a 2 hour drive from Leicester at quite an expense on a nice(ish) summer evening, the crowd is pretty meagre, there's no atmosphere, there's a low key rider parade, Tero Aarnio is announced as not riding... no explanation R/R, heat 1, big crash, re-run Palin & Douglas nearly crash into each other again, heat 2 Joe Alcock crashes and I think we all knew the writing was on the wall when he was loaded into the ambulance... the only thing we didn't know was whether there was backup medical cover, listen to God Robfrey tell us all how bad it has been for him and then a 1 and a half drive home.

To finish on a positive... Simon Lambert! What a ride in heat 2 to sweep by both Lions in one move on turns 3 and 4! Not quite worth the journey up from Leicester on its own but exactly what Speedway racing is all about! The sport is in dire need of riders of his calibre, never going to be a top star but a solid middle order/reserve that knows how to ride a Speedway bike, interacts with his fans and sponsors and is the life blood of our sport.

Cue the Godfrey apologists... bring it on!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

Right! There's quite a bit to unpack here...

God Robfrey: "I can only apologise to the fans again, but I hope they realise that it was an event beyond our control". What exactly was out of the control of the promotion? Joe Alcock crashing that's all, absolutely everything else was in control of the promotion, they took the decision to run a meeting with inadequate medical cover knowing full well that if the ambulance was required to travel to hospital that would be the meeting called. And if they didn't know that, they should, there have been quite a few meetings in recent years where there has been inadequate medical cover, especially post pandemic/Brexit, now the NHS is under such strain and yet these chancers still don't have the insurance of a 2nd medical crew. They nearly got lucky with the fact that the air ambulance was in the air already and was able to attend but for whatever reason they didn't want to take Joe to the hospital.

And look at the full statement and last night when he addressed the crowd over the PA system... except for the apology and wishing Joe well, he made it all about himself and how he wished he hadn't got up and what a disaster of a day it had been... and then in the statement on the website sought to absolve himself of all responsibility by using the old circumstances beyond our control line! Even Boris Johnson would be proud with his lack of responsibility.

Where I will give him credit is the gesture of goodwill in "allowing" full re-admission to another match... even though he didn't have to, he felt the need to add on to the end of the sentence. This might lead some Birmingham fans to question their promotion's statement "Whilst it is not appropriate to deviate from the official re-admission policy agreed between all clubs and the BSPL, they have decided to offer a free programme to supporters who come along with their Berwick re-admission ticket." after one of their fiasco's earlier in the season.

So let's look at a night out at the leader of British Speedway's track...

You turn up after a 2 hour drive from Leicester at quite an expense on a nice(ish) summer evening, the crowd is pretty meagre, there's no atmosphere, there's a low key rider parade, Tero Aarnio is announced as not riding... no explanation R/R, heat 1, big crash, re-run Palin & Douglas nearly crash into each other again, heat 2 Joe Alcock crashes and I think we all knew the writing was on the wall when he was loaded into the ambulance... the only thing we didn't know was whether there was backup medical cover, listen to God Robfrey tell us all how bad it has been for him and then a 1 and a half drive home.

To finish on a positive... Simon Lambert! What a ride in heat 2 to sweep by both Lions in one move on turns 3 and 4! Not quite worth the journey up from Leicester on its own but exactly what Speedway racing is all about! The sport is in dire need of riders of his calibre, never going to be a top star but a solid middle order/reserve that knows how to ride a Speedway bike, interacts with his fans and sponsors and is the life blood of our sport.

Cue the Godfrey apologists... bring it on!

Best you feel better getting all that out now ! I agree it's a joke right now and needs a major overhaul. What worries me is everyone is saying the support is poor. They simply can't survive with low ticket sales

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottyJ said:

Best you feel better getting all that out now ! I agree it's a joke right now and needs a major overhaul. What worries me is everyone is saying the support is poor. They simply can't survive with low ticket sales

tbh, I'm not too worked up about it anymore, there's an air of inevitability about it all these days

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

tbh, I'm not too worked up about it anymore, there's an air of inevitability about it all these days

Sounds like God was oozing humility again last night :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wtf said:

Sounds like God was oozing humility again last night :lol:

Couldn't believe it when he came on the PA and made it all about him

• Like 1

Just now, iainb said:

Couldn't believe it when he came on the PA and made it all about him

As you said earlier he make Boris Johnson look "quality"

• Like 1