British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Backtrack & Classic Magazines

Having just received my latest edition of "Backtrack" I read with dismay that the next editions of both magazines may well be the last as the present team of Tony and Susie wish to move on. I sincerely hope that someone else picks up the mantel because I thoroughly enjoy reading both magazines and not having either to read will create a massive void in my retrospective insight into speedway's last "Golden Era".

May I wish both Tony and Susie very best wishes and thank you most sincerely for producing two great magazines which I will cherish and continue to read the back numbers in an attempt to re-fresh diming memories.

• Like 4

On 5/22/2022 at 7:28 AM, steve roberts said:

Having just received my latest edition of "Backtrack" I read with dismay that the next editions of both magazines may well be the last as the present team of Tony and Susie wish to move on. I sincerely hope that someone else picks up the mantel because I thoroughly enjoy reading both magazines and not having either to read will create a massive void in my retrospective insight into speedway's last "Golden Era".

May I wish both Tony and Susie very best wishes and thank you most sincerely for producing two great magazines which I will cherish and continue to read the back numbers in an attempt to re-fresh diming memories.

Many thanks, Steve, for your kind words and unwavering support of both magazines. We wouldn't have come this far without our loyal subscribers.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 7:28 AM, steve roberts said:

Oh no!  I had to cancel Backtrack for economic reasons but still subscribe to Classic, which I thoroughly enjoy - so professionally produced, full of my best era with our wonderful sport.

I would miss it if it disappeared!

• Like 3

If the magazine(s) do fold, you can take enormous credit for creating a huge body of work in terms of interviews and articles which will be there for ever as an important, permanent and entertaining record of speedway times past.

Superb tribute to Nigel Pearson as well by the way.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Oh no!  I had to cancel Backtrack for economic reasons but still subscribe to Classic, which I thoroughly enjoy - so professionally produced, full of my best era with our wonderful sport.

I would miss it if it disappeared!

Thank you for your kind words. We're talking to people in the hope that someone suitable will take one or both of them over.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

If the magazine(s) do fold, you can take enormous credit for creating a huge body of work in terms of interviews and articles which will be there for ever as an important, permanent and entertaining record of speedway times past.

Superb tribute to Nigel Pearson as well by the way.

Thank you for your kind comments.

• Like 2

I must echo what has been said already.

As a Backtrack reader from issue one, it was always an interesting mix with some excellent insights and recollections. The John Berry column was outstanding and subsequently contributions from Malcolm Simmons and currently Martin Rogers gave the magazine a real edge. All backed up with some excellent photos from the archives. 

Tony deserves huge credit for producing such a quality mag for over 100 issues, and if it is the end, all we can say it a big Thank You!

NB love the comment re Finn and Cass the Gas enjoying each others company at reserve - but then it was always entertaining at Waterden Road! 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

As a Backtrack reader from issue one, it was always an interesting mix with some excellent insights and recollections. The John Berry column was outstanding and subsequently contributions from Malcolm Simmons and currently Martin Rogers gave the magazine a real edge. All backed up with some excellent photos from the archives. 

Tony deserves huge credit for producing such a quality mag for over 100 issues, and if it is the end, all we can say it a big Thank You!

NB love the comment re Finn and Cass the Gas enjoying each others company at reserve - but then it was always entertaining at Waterden Road! 

Same here. Many happy hours leafing through Backtrack over the years. I have to be honest and say the quality has tailed off recently, with "The Life and Times..." little more than a rehash. But overall, it has been a very enjoyable read. Coupled with some excellent books under the same operation, especially the Kenny Carter and John Berry books, its a great body of work to be proud of. Well done Tony and Susie.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, falcace said:

Same here. Many happy hours leafing through Backtrack over the years. I have to be honest and say the quality has tailed off recently, with "The Life and Times..." little more than a rehash. But overall, it has been a very enjoyable read. Coupled with some excellent books under the same operation, especially the Kenny Carter and John Berry books, its a great body of work to be proud of. Well done Tony and Susie.

...looking forward to the Peter Collins' Book!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...looking forward to the Peter Collins' Book!

Hmmm. I don't know. This is a book that should have been written before now. I don't think the unedited thoughts of the PC of today should be committed to print. I fear it will not be a fair reflection on one of the sport's greats nor on others too. And I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

Any chsnce that the back issues could be made available for purchase in an online format.? Even a simple scanned pdf document? 

I have a few back issues, but never subscribed due to the cost of postage to NZ/SG. 

Edited by waiheke1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, falcace said:

Hmmm. I don't know. This is a book that should have been written before now. I don't think the unedited thoughts of the PC of today should be committed to print. I fear it will not be a fair reflection on one of the sport's greats nor on others too. And I'll leave it at that.

...could well open up a whole "can of worms" and there may well be some who don't come out of it too welll? Looking forward to it all the same.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:58 AM, hawks 1975 said:

Thank you - up the 'Awks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, falcace said:

Thank you. We'll definitely continuing to produce DVDs and publish occasional books with a retro theme if the subject warrants it. The Peter Collins autobiography, launching at the Cardiff GP in August, will be our biggest yet at 386 full colour pages. Next year we'll publish another autobiography that we expect will provoke plenty of reaction.

• Like 3

Sad to hear that might be the end of the 2 mags. Have been a subscriber since issue 1 of Backtrack and have most of the Classic Speedways. Have really enjoyed them but I have to agree with Falcace that the "Life and Times" feature is not so interesting as the new interviews. Obviously with over a 100 issues it becomes increasingly hard to keep the mag fresh. Even so, I'm hoping someone else takes it on.

Great to hear from Tony that he intends producing occasional books and DVD's. 

Many thanks to Tony and Susie for their efforts over the years. 

• Like 6