British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Backtrack & Classic Magazines

Just received the last edition...usual good read however I'm not quite sure why whenever Martin Rogers mentions White City he continually raises the 1977 winning year? Other teams had special dispensation that same season but that rarely gets a mention? Nice to see the Oxford vs. Cradley "Head to Head" during the Nielsen/Gundersen years (and prior)...clearly Oxford generally had the upper hand over the "Cabbage Patch kids".

Sadly that's it and I shall miss my bi-monthly "fix".

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

Sad to see the demise of my favourite magazines. I have read all of them from back to front.

I do get other periodicals that I read the parts that interest me. The thing about Backtrack and Classic Speedway was that I read every single word.

I will miss them very much - but - I do have every single copy of both to look back on, and, that at least is a great compensation.

Thanks to Tony, Susie et al for all their hard work, they can be very proud of how their Magazines have enterained us over the years.

In a very real sense I can say - - -- 'THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES'.

• Like 6

This ^^, I'm sure gonna miss Backtrack, Classic Speedway too tho not really 'my era', I first got into speedway mid-1970's....

Edited by martinmauger
missing info, belated spelling
  • Like 3

Like you I miss not having these excellent magazines dropping through my letterbox each month. As a contributor to both, I'm hoping to fill this void by putting a free online "magazine" up each month. The first "issue" can be found at

https://classicspeedwaymemories.webador.co.uk/

Hope you like it. And a Guid New Year to you all.

Best regards

Doug Nicolson 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sitting twiddling my thumbs in a Maltese hospital ward where my parents are currently residing. Finally caught up with this thread and gave me the chance to explore Doug's "magazine". The photo on the home page is a great start with the 1968 Tigers at the tapes against the Heathens of Tommy Bergvist and Ivor Brown. Sadly 2 Heathens I never saw ride as by the time I made my debut at Dudley Wood near the end of that season they were both injured. Tommy never rode in the UK again afaik and Ivor retired.

Some interesting stuff as ever from Doug, which we would expect from his contributions to Backtrack over the years.

Good luck with the venture.

• Like 1

I must admit I'm seriously missing my nostalgic journey...little now appears on the forum now. Where's Sid?

Latest DVD release from the Retro Label is "Swedish Riders"...will be worth having a look at. So many greats to choose from. My particular favourite was the elusive Hasse Holmqvist who rode for the "Cheetahs" and "Rebels" (previously for Wolves) and I remember the occasion that he parked his caravan outside my house for a brew up!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 4:33 PM, salty said:

Sitting twiddling my thumbs in a Maltese hospital ward where my parents are currently residing. Finally caught up with this thread and gave me the chance to explore Doug's "magazine". The photo on the home page is a great start with the 1968 Tigers at the tapes against the Heathens of Tommy Bergvist and Ivor Brown. Sadly 2 Heathens I never saw ride as by the time I made my debut at Dudley Wood near the end of that season they were both injured. Tommy never rode in the UK again afaik and Ivor retired.

Some interesting stuff as ever from Doug, which we would expect from his contributions to Backtrack over the years.

Good luck with the venture.

Bergvist rode for exeter in the early seventies

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten Tommy rode that spell for Exeter.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:43 PM, steve roberts said:

Latest DVD release from the Retro Label is "Swedish Riders"...will be worth having a look at. So many greats to choose from. My particular favourite was the elusive Hasse Holmqvist who rode for the "Cheetahs" and "Rebels" (previously for Wolves) and I remember the occasion that he parked his caravan outside my house for a brew up!

Thanks, Steve. I've just started a new thread on the Swedes in the 'Years Gone By' section.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:51 PM, TonyMac said:

Thank you. We'll definitely continuing to produce DVDs and publish occasional books with a retro theme if the subject warrants it. The Peter Collins autobiography, launching at the Cardiff GP in August, will be our biggest yet at 386 full colour pages. Next year we'll publish another autobiography that we expect will provoke plenty of reaction.

Any update on whether this autobiography will still be published this year, or any other news? If prior to Christmas, I know what my Christmas reading will be...