British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Backtrack & Classic Magazines

3 hours ago, TonyMac said:

Thank you. We'll definitely continuing to produce DVDs and publish occasional books with a retro theme if the subject warrants it. The Peter Collins autobiography, launching at the Cardiff GP in August, will be our biggest yet at 386 full colour pages. Next year we'll publish another autobiography that we expect will provoke plenty of reaction.

That's good news. Have always enjoyed the books/dvds from you - the Kenny Carter book ofcourse stands out, and you have both always been super helpful whenever I've emailed. Wish you all the best, and look forward to next year's new book! 

• Like 1

I too have subscribed to both Backtrack and Classic Speedway Magazines. I am so sad that Tony and Susie feel unable to carry on with what, in my opinion, is a really good and professional Magazine. I loved all of the articles, as a 1970s Speedway enthusiast I think they are impossible to beat. I get a number of none Speedway related magazines but the two Speedway periodicals are the ones I look forward to the most. The '70s were a special time for me and Speedway and I love revelling in the memories evoked by both of these publications.

I will miss my 'phonecalls to Backtrack, and talking to Susie when I renew my subscription. It was like talking to a family member.

I would like to thank both Tony and Susie for all of their very hard work in producing these two wonderful magazines. I will miss them very, very much should they have to close down.

Tony, Susie, I wish you every success in the future, you have kept me happy with my memories. I don't think I can give you higher praise than that.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

• Like 9

On 5/25/2022 at 10:48 AM, falcace said:

Hmmm. I don't know. This is a book that should have been written before now. I don't think the unedited thoughts of the PC of today should be committed to print. I fear it will not be a fair reflection on one of the sport's greats nor on others too. And I'll leave it at that.

Nothing like pre-judging, eh! The book will, of course, be edited. That PC's book wasn't written well before now was his decision but it means it will now be bang up to date and, from the feedback we're getting, eagerly awaited.

People won't agree with everything he says - but then isn't that true of most decent autobiographies in which the author is forthright in his/her opinions - whether or not we agree with them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ch958 said:

shame someone can't take them on

They might. We are in talks that will hopefully bear fruit. 

• Like 3

On 5/26/2022 at 4:06 PM, The White Knight said:

I too have subscribed to both Backtrack and Classic Speedway Magazines. I am so sad that Tony and Susie feel unable to carry on with what, in my opinion, is a really good and professional Magazine. I loved all of the articles, as a 1970s Speedway enthusiast I think they are impossible to beat. I get a number of none Speedway related magazines but the two Speedway periodicals are the ones I look forward to the most. The '70s were a special time for me and Speedway and I love revelling in the memories evoked by both of these publications.

I will miss my 'phonecalls to Backtrack, and talking to Susie when I renew my subscription. It was like talking to a family member.

I would like to thank both Tony and Susie for all of their very hard work in producing these two wonderful magazines. I will miss them very, very much should they have to close down.

Tony, Susie, I wish you every success in the future, you have kept me happy with my memories. I don't think I can give you higher praise than that.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Many thanks, Ian, for your very kind words and support over many years. We'll miss you and all our other loyal subscribers.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 4:40 PM, salty said:

Sad to hear that might be the end of the 2 mags. Have been a subscriber since issue 1 of Backtrack and have most of the Classic Speedways. Have really enjoyed them but I have to agree with Falcace that the "Life and Times" feature is not so interesting as the new interviews. Obviously with over a 100 issues it becomes increasingly hard to keep the mag fresh. Even so, I'm hoping someone else takes it on.

Great to hear from Tony that he intends producing occasional books and DVD's. 

Many thanks to Tony and Susie for their efforts over the years. 

Many thanks for your kind words. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TonyMac said:

Nothing like pre-judging, eh! The book will, of course, be edited. That PC's book wasn't written well before now was his decision but it means it will now be bang up to date and, from the feedback we're getting, eagerly awaited.

People won't agree with everything he says - but then isn't that true of most decent autobiographies in which the author is forthright in his/her opinions - whether or not we agree with them.

Thanks Tony. Yes, on the face of it, every word above is true. I am a sucker for sport nostalgia and former sportsmen and women who can be a bit, let's say franker, with their opinions when their career is long gone. But I think there's an elephant in the room in this instance. And it comes down to this...

Are the thoughts and opinions of PC consistent with those held prior to his brain haemorrhage or not?

And if there is any doubt and his clarity of thought is not what it should be, then I (as a fan) would be uncomfortable in things going into print as a permanent reminder of a guy who is the nearest the sport has to a national treasure.

Oddly enough, this time next week, I'll actually be at Slaski Stadium, scene of PC's greatest triumph. I will take a moment or two to figure out where he passed Simmo and where he was chaired by fellow riders after a comprehensive and conclusive win.  I - like most 70s/80s fans - hold hugely fond memories of him as one of the most spectacular and brilliant riders in the sport we all love. I hope that continues to be the over-riding feeling most of us retain long into the future.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, falcace said:

Are the thoughts and opinions of PC consistent with those held prior to his brain haemorrhage or not?

And if there is any doubt and his clarity of thought is not what it should be, then I (as a fan) would be uncomfortable in things going into print as a permanent reminder of a guy who is the nearest the sport has to a national treasure.

Oddly enough, this time next week, I'll actually be at Slaski Stadium, scene of PC's greatest triumph. I will take a moment or two to figure out where he passed Simmo and where he was chaired by fellow riders after a comprehensive and conclusive win.  I - like most 70s/80s fans - hold hugely fond memories of him as one of the most spectacular and brilliant riders in the sport we all love. I hope that continues to be the over-riding feeling most of us retain long into the future.

I don't think you need have any concerns re. clarity. From my experience spanning numerous recent interviews with him about his life looking back over a 68-year period, PC has a very good memory; in many cases his recall of minute detail is remarkable.

Enjoy Slaski!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyMac said:

I don't think you need have any concerns re. clarity. From my experience spanning numerous recent interviews with him about his life looking back over a 68-year period, PC has a very good memory; in many cases his recall of minute detail is remarkable.

Enjoy Slaski!

Thanks Tony. Appreciate the reply. Hope the whole project comes out well for you and PC.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 7:51 PM, TonyMac said:

Thank you. We'll definitely continuing to produce DVDs and publish occasional books with a retro theme if the subject warrants it. The Peter Collins autobiography, launching at the Cardiff GP in August, will be our biggest yet at 386 full colour pages. Next year we'll publish another autobiography that we expect will provoke plenty of reaction.

Will these be available on kindle, or only hardcopy? Suspect I will want a "real" version of the PC one, but depending on the other rider, I may prefer ebook for that one.

Hoping it's  Andy Smith, Larry Ross or Shawn Moran! Though judging by the "plenty of reaction" comment Nicki P or Darcy?  (even if they are not really the Backtrack era). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Will these be available on kindle, or only hardcopy? Suspect I will want a "real" version of the PC one, but depending on the other rider, I may prefer ebook for that one.

Hoping it's  Andy Smith, Larry Ross or Shawn Moran! Though judging by the "plenty of reaction" comment Nicki P or Darcy?  (even if they are not really the Backtrack era). 

Initially, PC will be a printed softback (386 full colour pages). But it's very likely that it will evolve into an eBook edition too at some future date.

As for the other autobiography we have planned for next year, I'd rather not reveal the author at this early stage. But it's none of those you've mentioned.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TonyMac said:

Initially, PC will be a printed softback (386 full colour pages). But it's very likely that it will evolve into an eBook edition too at some future date.

As for the other autobiography we have planned for next year, I'd rather not reveal the author at this early stage. But it's none of those you've mentioned.

Gotta be Bruce Penhall. With respect to the previous book on him, there's a more expansive story or two there to be told.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2022 at 11:45 PM, falcace said:

Gotta be Bruce Penhall. With respect to the previous book on him, there's a more expansive story or two there to be told.

That for sure would be a book I would buy (though, tbh, I'd likely buy regardless of which rider from that era it was). 

Hard to believe he is now 65 :o

Brilliant magazines the latest speedway stars I get I throw out but not backtrack they pile up in the attic.

• Like 2