British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh - new home required….

Absolutely gutting, as much as the facilities aren’t great was still our home for 26 years and where we have had our best moments as a club and successful moments too. 

completely  understand the owners situation and they have been great owners at that as they were great for the speedway. Gutted for the club as they’ve done so much for the youngsters in the last year or so with the speedway academy and mini track being built, to entering a team in the NDL again and this year putting two teams in to the NJL. 

Hopefully we can find something soon that we can continue to do all these good things. Think being at the tapes come 2023 could be struggle but we can always hope. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Absolutely gutting, as much as the facilities aren’t great was still our home for 26 years and where we have had our best moments as a club and successful moments too. 

completely  understand the owners situation and they have been great owners at that as they were great for the speedway. Gutted for the club as they’ve done so much for the youngsters in the last year or so with the speedway academy and mini track being built, to entering a team in the NDL again and this year putting two teams in to the NJL. 

Hopefully we can find something soon that we can continue to do all these good things. Think being at the tapes come 2023 could be struggle but we can always hope. 

A break in 2023 was my initial thought too. Turning round a new home in under 12 months is hugely ambitious - that is unless talks have already taken place. 

• Like 1

A friendly welcoming Club with some excellent Supporters. 

I'd agree seems such a short turnaround for 2023 unless things are already in planning. 

Just asking a question? 

Would transferring License and Team to Northside for a season work for both operations? 

Keep Monarch support active and get Northside set up. 

Either at CL or NDL level? 

Fingers crossed the Monarchs can continue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Fully agree with that and indeed 26 years is an eternity in Speedway terms for a club to be able to have continuous residence at the same venue for that amount of time.  From memory , the only current Championship teams who have also managed that milestone are Poole and Newcastle.  Berwick are still at Shielfield but they did have a break before returning.   From that point of view I guess we have been fortunate to have had such an enjoyable and successful spell at Armadale.  Whichever part of the Lothians they end up settling for the third time - am sure the Monarchs will survive.......again !  

Edited by SlicktrackSandy
mis spell

Obviously I hope the Monarchs get get another stadium, preferably closer to Edinburgh. But if not would it be feasible to move the whole operation to the new track under construction just outside Workington. 

2 minutes ago, screm said:

Obviously I hope the Monarchs get get another stadium, preferably closer to Edinburgh. But if not would it be feasible to move the whole operation to the new track under construction just outside Workington. 

Consultation with those involved in attempting to run clubs in Cumbria "from a distance" -- I'm talking Berwick-at-Barrow in 1981 and Glasgow-at-Workington in 1987 will reveal that such a concept is a total no-no.

Indeed, running the Scottish Monarchs at Shawfield in 1996 was equally financially disastrous, although that operation did at least see out the season.

• Like 2

Think this has been on the cards for at least 6-7 years and now it has happened I wish them good luck.Hope they can get something sorted  but think it will be at least a minimum year off.

Could always go to Easter Road.Never any decent passing there either nowadays.

• Haha 4

Realistically best option would be a Redcar type situation just build it up year on year from nothing. How possible that is I don't know but sure someone has a spare field wouldn't mind selling

3 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Realistically best option would be a Redcar type situation just build it up year on year from nothing. How possible that is I don't know but sure someone has a spare field wouldn't mind selling

Unfortunately anybody with a spare field nowadays sells it to Property Developers.

• Like 1

As others have said, this was an on going situation for quite a few years that was going to happen. I am surprised, though, that an area has not been earmarked yet for development by the club and/or council & to now ask for assistance for finance & land it is like saying that "the horse has bolted."

Could the owners hold off for another year to give the Monarchs a bit more time to resolve the situation or has the developing area now closed in?

Hoping a solution can be found with a better shaped track. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Unfortunately anybody with a spare field nowadays sells it to Property Developers.

I know a friend of my old man's offered John Campbell a field near Forth about 10 years ago. Hopefully someone similar but perhaps closer to Edinburgh has the same idea

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Consultation with those involved in attempting to run clubs in Cumbria "from a distance" -- I'm talking Berwick-at-Barrow in 1981 and Glasgow-at-Workington in 1987 will reveal that such a concept is a total no-no.

Indeed, running the Scottish Monarchs at Shawfield in 1996 was equally financially disastrous, although that operation did at least see out the season.

Add cradley at stoke to that list.  
only way it would work at workington is for the team to be called Workington comets.  Anything else would alienate both sets of fans. 

13 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Add cradley at stoke to that list.  
only way it would work at workington is for the team to be called Workington comets.  Anything else would alienate both sets of fans. 

i believe they do have the go ahead to call the northside club the cornets as its a stones throw away from Derwent Park .

the way its going Edinburgh may be the only team running in 2023 !

Edited by jenga