British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Fave Progs

Moving on from the Memorabiiia thread, I'd like to narrow it down a little...

Obviously, many of you have a wonderful collection of programmes, so what are your favourites?

Unfortunately, my parents got rid of a bunch of ours. Sad thing is that they were mostly from the 50's and 60's, including several World Final progs (such as Malmo '61). Of the ones I've collected, the ones that mean the most are:

Wimbledon vs Swindon (May 27, 1976). This was the week after Tommy was killed, and was the meeting that actually got me going to speedway again. The previous meeting I'd attended was the 1975 Laurels, which Tommy won.

European Junior Championship 1984 (King's Lynn). I managed to get it autographed by Jozef Petrikovics and Oleg Volochov! However, my main memory was Leif Wahlmann's tragedy, and his remains the only fatal crash I have seen.

1969 World Final. This was the first World Final I attended, and I still remember it like yesterday...

Set of Aces home programmes from 1982 - my favourite speedway season. 

And the 1983 world final programme. 

• Like 1

Pretty well any Pre-War programme.....they are full of information, some of them great graphics.

Not all of them of course, especially in the early days as they were just a four page card.

The internationals of the pre-war days were always special, which is why I collected those all my life.

• Like 1

Can't say i have a favourite programme, but some of the old charicatures, cartoons were great. This one i posted a while back from one i have

Ist möglicherweise ein Cartoon von eine oder mehrere Personen

I had the entire collection of White City programmes home and away during 1977 (including challenges, 4TT etc) in what was an amazing year for yours truly. Complete set of Oxford programmes from 1972 to 2002. Many one-off specials and I always cherished visits to track shops picking up programmes to add to my vast collection now, alas, all gone!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Moving on from the Memorabiiia thread, I'd like to narrow it down a little...

Obviously, many of you have a wonderful collection of programmes, so what are your favourites?

Unfortunately, my parents got rid of a bunch of ours. Sad thing is that they were mostly from the 50's and 60's, including several World Final progs (such as Malmo '61). Of the ones I've collected, the ones that mean the most are:

Wimbledon vs Swindon (May 27, 1976). This was the week after Tommy was killed, and was the meeting that actually got me going to speedway again. The previous meeting I'd attended was the 1975 Laurels, which Tommy won.

European Junior Championship 1984 (King's Lynn). I managed to get it autographed by Jozef Petrikovics and Oleg Volochov! However, my main memory was Leif Wahlmann's tragedy, and his remains the only fatal crash I have seen.

1969 World Final. This was the first World Final I attended, and I still remember it like yesterday...

I was at Lynn for the 84 Junior Championship, stii sticks in my mind the tragedy of Leif Wahlmanns crash. Saly i have witnessed 3 fatal accidents 

Just now, sommelier said:

I was at Lynn for the 84 Junior Championship, stii sticks in my mind the tragedy of Leif Wahlmanns crash. Saly i have witnessed 3 fatal accidents 

Sadly

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Can't say i have a favourite programme, but some of the old charicatures, cartoons were great. This one i posted a while back from one i have

Ist möglicherweise ein Cartoon von eine oder mehrere Personen

I loved those! In my parents' scrapbooks, there are dozens of the old cartoons and caricatures.

• Like 1

So many, for different reasons.

Swindon complete home and away 1974 - my first season...

My complete World Final collection

Thankfully, i have never seen a fatal accident live, but i do have several programmes from meetings where there was a tragedy. Teo, Dave Wills, Denny Pyeatt ans Kevin Holden being some examples.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:44 PM, sommelier said:

Gary Petersen,RIP  being one other sommelier ? as you were a regular at Wolves.They all stick in my mind ;and always think about them all at one time or another .Martin. Hewlett ( bless him ) RIP  a young lad making his way in the sport was the only one i witnesssed.

My favourite programmes are the six BLRC meetings that Briggo won.And a Swindon v Sheffield meeting  in 1976 where Tommy Jansson rode in the second half and rode Crash Ashby in the Golden Helmet.Tommy won at Wimbledon , Crash won the Swindon encounter Tommy then won the decider at Cradley.

My one-and-only pre-war Southampton programme from 1929. It's quite plain in design but unusually for its age the original staples have hardly rusted.

9 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

.Martin. Hewlett ( bless him ) RIP  a young lad making his way in the sport was the only one i witnesssed.

I still have the programme from when I went to the Martin Hewlett Memorial...

I have a collection of 1540 programmes (yes I have counted them!) I'm not sure "favourite" is quite the right word, given the nature of one of the programmes, but my prize programmes are:

My own first meeting New Cross v. Norwich, 11 May 1960

The first-ever Crystal Palace meeting, which also includes the first-ever international between England & Australia, 19 May 1928

The first-ever New Cross meeting, 18 April 1934

New Cross, 28 August 1935, the match in which Tom Farndon had his fatal crash

New Cross, 18 September 1935, the first Tom Farndon Memorial Trophy

Hackney v. New Cross, 10 April 1963, the first post-War Hackney programme

Wimbledon, 4 September 1953, the first-ever England v. New Zealand Test match

Wimbledon v. West Ham, 14 August 1965, KO Cup 3rd round replay, the best and most memorable match I have ever seen - the night Malcolm Simmons came good

Wembley, 28 June 1956, the first-ever England v. Sweden Test match,

Wembley v. Southampton, 31 August 1939 (the last match before the War)

Wembley, 29 August 1938, Star Riders' Championship Final

Plus all the Mildenhall and Wimbledon programmes that contain the regular columns that I wrote!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 5:22 PM, waiheke1 said:

Set of Aces home programmes from 1982 - my favourite speedway season. 

And the 1983 world final programme. 

Good ones. There's also something quality about the 81 World Final programme.

I also really, really liked the cover for the 1984 Exeter Speedway programme....I'm not entirely convinced they got the full approval of Bruce Penhall ;)

Still very nicely done though.

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1