British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Redcar SGB Championship 29th May 2022- 4pm

merry go round of riders coming up next week 

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

You don't improve a product by reducing the quality to the lowest denominator. That's a recipe for disaster quicker than British speedway is going already. 

I think sedgys form so far in comparison to the 2 names aforementioned would be very desirable. As I understand the rules can apply for visas after 12 months, Grant's been in charge for far longer although I know some dispute with this being a new company I've read elsewhere might be why taken so long.

Even that situation, look at Birmingham. They've used belle Vue to sponsor Pearson and Glasgow to sponsor sedgy. There are way around it if you wish to find them.

I mean what do we do next season if a club decided to build 3/4 points below that points limit? Just keep reducing it? Here an idea, put bonus points back in GSA's. Job done

you choose not to address the simple mathematical reality.  that's fine but the consequence of not addressing the lack of available riders is the current situation and the potential loss of more tracks. 

you do however improve the product by having equally competitive teams.  as I pointed out in my last post if you want equally matched teams at the same level then you simply work out from the available rider pool how many equally matched teams can be in the league.  This pre-season that was about 9 teams not 11.  So you refuse Oxford and expel one of Birmingham or Newcastle to improve the product.  That's the option.

pre-season Sedgmen wasn't an option for anyone and he hardly has a heat leader average and we'll see how long his current for lasts. And some riders averages are bound to increase because there are some understrength teams so averages will increase as the same points are available.

I don't know if Newcastle could have done what Birmingham have done or not.  You would presume so but which new foreign riders would sign for a Sunday track pre-season?

You could include bonus points in the GSA's and retain the 42 point limit but you're reducing the standard of the teams which is what you don't want?

It's a simple choice really.  Do you want equally matched competitive teams? In which case you have to set the rules in some fashion to make that happen. Either restrict the number of teams in the league or reduce the points limit to reflect the pool of available riders. Or you're not bothered about equally matched competitive matches and you set an arbitrary points limit knowing some teams will be under strength.  I really don't care but the consequence of the former means some teams don't come to the tapes and the later means some teams may go out of business due to tracking uncompetitive teams.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Argos said:

Could anyone please tell me what the latest is wi BWD is he going to ride again or is he out for the season? The news from the club about him is complete silence, Does he need a work permit to ride in the U.K.?    

Be surprised if he rides again this season.

What I find puzzling with Rob Grants interview tonight (and for the record it was nice having a voice finally), was the comments about not being able to sign foreign riders - this linked to inability to apply for a sponsors licence (visa) following the liquidation of the original company he took over. 

I would love to find the quotes from him last season, think they could have been in the speedway star. But I am sure I have read that he tried to sign last season 

- Kenneth bjerre

- Martin Smolinksi 

- Troy batchelor 

then again this season, I am sure I have seen a quote saying he tried to convince bjarne pedersen of riding. 

one question - was that all bollocks then? 

Edited by Diamond geezer
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

What I find puzzling with Rob Grants interview tonight (and for the record it was nice having a voice finally), was the comments about not being able to sign foreign riders - this linked to inability to apply for a sponsors licence (visa) following the liquidation of the original company he took over. 

I would love to find the quotes from him last season, think they could have been in the speedway star. But I am sure I have read that he tried to sign last season 

- Kenneth bjerre

- Martin Smolinksi 

- Troy batchelor 

then again this season, I am sure I have seen a quote saying he tried to convince bjarne pedersen of riding. 

Probably.I fail to see how he could build a Team to ride in Championship without  signing a foreign rider.Plus last year did he not claim to have signed Vissing but had to let him go for some reason. clueless.

Edited by Fromafar

53 minutes ago, Argos said:

Could anyone please tell me what the latest is wi BWD is he going to ride again or is he out for the season? The news from the club about him is complete silence, Does he need a work permit to ride in the U.K.?    

I've heard he's been sacked.

8 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

I've heard he's been sacked.

Not sure they would sack someone they can get a guest for whilst the rider has a sick note. 

we are a weaker team with him in though, without Kyle howarth tonight Redcar would have hit 70 - I dread his comeback 

1 hour ago, Diamond geezer said:

- Kenneth bjerre

- Martin Smolinksi 

- Troy batchelor 

All 3 of them would be far to expensive to sign 

35 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

Not sure they would sack someone they can get a guest for whilst the rider has a sick note. 

we are a weaker team with him in though, without Kyle howarth tonight Redcar would have hit 70 - I dread his comeback 

Can't sack somebody on the sick 

8 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Everything the promotion and a decent portion of their fans deserve

Sorry but I am failing to see where your common sense finishes and your ignorance starts, you must see surely if Newcastle go that has an effect on every other team in the league to a small or greater degree. 

Maybe you are on a wind up, if so then you have succeeded.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, screm said:

Sorry but I am failing to see where your common sense finishes and your ignorance starts, you must see surely if Newcastle go that has an effect on every other team in the league to a small or greater degree. 

Nothing but a (very) poor attempt at a wind up. I've no affinity to any particular club but see the same poster popping up on several threads trying to bait different fans, a bit sad really. Nobody minds a bit of banter between fans, and there's been some good wind-up merchants over the years on here, but him and the Redcar fan are just lowest denominator stuff. Antagonistic for the sake of it. -_-

• Like 7

All very well saying that Newcy now have a sponsors licence, but applying for, and getting, a visa are two different things.

Let's say they replace Congreve with Smetana. How long, given the sclerotic nature of Home Office bureaucracy, would it take to process?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, screm said:

Where did i say i want to see them go? I said its great to see them getting pumped every week…  

19 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Where did i say i want to see them go? I said its great to see them getting pumped every week…  

Why is it ???