British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Redcar SGB Championship 29th May 2022- 4pm

9 minutes ago, enotian said:

What Newcastle couldn't do is sign new foreign riders because the promoters didn't have a sponsors license. If you think about the 2020 line up that never happened it was possible to sign Skorja and Smetaka as EU riders at that point but not for 2021 without a sponsors license.

Weren't they signed whilst the former promotion was still involved?

31 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Weren't they signed whilst the former promotion was still involved?

not sure but as I understand it the former promotion didn't have a sponsor license either. Just relied on being able to sign EU riders who at that time didn't need permits.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 9:30 PM, Shadders said:

Newcastle don’t bring many to Berwick. Losing Edinburgh would hurt Berwick more 

They used to and you know that. Backstraight ?

1 hour ago, enotian said:

I don't know if it was bollocks or not and as someone has said it's how hard you try that matters. Offering low terms would never attract those riders but you'd still technically tried, however futile that attempt was.

But to try and unpuzzle you, and I'm not an expert, but I think EU riders who have previously ridden in the UK were all able to continue to ride in the UK post Brexit. Either without a permit or are guaranteed a permit. Bjerre, Smolinski, Pedersen and Vissing all fall into that category. Not sure about non EU riders but the attempt to sign Batchelor was mid season when he already had a permit to ride in the PL.

What Newcastle couldn't do is sign new foreign riders because the promoters didn't have a sponsors license. If you think about the 2020 line up that never happened it was possible to sign Skorja and Smetaka as EU riders at that point but not for 2021 without a sponsors license.

Now even with a sponsors licence some riders Smetaka(?) might not be awarded a permit as they don't fit the criteria. Which is why he never got to be in the Poole team last season I think. 

In summary it was possible to sign those riders without a license last season, I think.

So that makes sense (I think). The cynical side of me thinks there wasn’t a cat in hells chance any of them riders were ever going to sign anyway, so any attempt to sign them may have been more about PR than anything. If it was a genuine attempt to sign them, then the ££ must have been there to tempt them, so one would assume that would still apply to team building this year. 

not sure just random foreign riders will improve us, would have to be the right one. Look at Basso for example, and even he isn’t yet a heat leader. Most top riders who fall into heat leader brackets will have already rode here, and so fall into that”protected” category you referred to above - so assume that we have either tried already and/or we don’t want them. 

here is hoping for good news - Because I dread to think what Leicester and Poole will do to us in next couple of matches. And as for crowds - think a big signing will help draw in the crowds needed for sustainability. 

Rob should have stood to his guns and walked at the end of last season. He is a butcher by trade not a promoter. He got giddy with the takings from the wake and thought it’s okay.

BWD on a high guarantee and scoring zilch is not good business.

Not the first time it’s happened but Newcastle will have to build trust with the rider population as they talk among themselves and the current rumours will not help.

If true good on Starkey for holding firm.

I think Newcastle need a winning team to attract fans and they are 4 riders away from being competitive.

Very dark clouds and less attractive for someone to step in than it was in November last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Rob should have stood to his guns and walked at the end of last season. He is a butcher by trade not a promoter. He got giddy with the takings from the wake and thought it’s okay.

Not the first time it’s happened but Newcastle will have to build trust with the rider population as they talk among themselves and the current rumours will not help.

I think Newcastle need a winning team to attract fans and they are 4 riders away from being competitive.

Very dark clouds and less attractive for someone to step in than it was in November last year.

What do you mean about starke?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tsunami said:

To be fair, he wasnt up here the times you brought the bigger crowds. You haven’t done to Berwick for some years sadly. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Winditon said:

Totally agree with your post. Not sure how much difference it would have made up to now but not having a team manager who can't motivate and seems pretty clueless doesn't help. Not sure if he does it voluntary but it needs addressing in my opinion. Let's hope we can turn it around 

I'm pretty sure he does do it voluntarily and never ever wanted the position in the first place. He didn't put his hand up for the job and I believe would rather not continue in the job BUT, no-one else is coming forward to offer their services and he's therefore in a catch-22 situation as if he steps down he believes no-one will step-up. Steve Pate is someone that loves his speedway and Newcastle Diamonds.

He's one of those faithful few, that includes Rob BTW, that is on the track the moment they're allowed after the greyhounds have finished on a Saturday night working on the track until 2:00am and then returning first thing Sunday morning for more preparation work. He's also part of the crew that turn up as early as they can on a Monday to clean-up to meet the Stadium owners' requirements and ensure The Diamonds can continue.

As for the Press Officer? The Club have approached a few people who they believe would do a good job. For one reason or another they have all turned it down. Mostly because they don't have the time that the role requires and wouldn't want to do half a job. Lawrence Hepple has been a great servant for Newcastle Diamonds but everyone has their tipping point and unfortunately he appears to have reached his.

I'm fairly sure that anyone stepping into his shoes needs to be positively aggressive and chase the stories ensuring that the fans who pay their money and are entitled to know SOME of what is going on get to know that. It's a far from easy job that requires time and commitment but it is also a role that Rob would love to have filled by someone he can bring into the fold and improve the communication channels.

9 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Before my time

4 hours ago, HectorRacing said:

What do you mean about starke?

Sure Starkie used to be on here, maybe he may know.

7 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

I would be surprised if any club would hand out a guaranteed wage, if Newcastle have then that's a poor bit of business IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is everybody getting all these damn adverts from companies like SHEIN appearing between postings?  It doesn't matter how many times you block them, they still appear!! 

4 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Is everybody getting all these damn adverts from companies like SHEIN appearing between postings?  It doesn't matter how many times you block them, they still appear!! 

Yip they are popping up more often than Chris Harris does as a guest.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Paul Starke according to the Ipswitch website has aggravated an old wrist injury.

It's worth remembering he suffered two broken wrist in a crash at the British Final at Belle Vue a few years back.

I'm sure Paul, being the consumate professional, is missing for a legitimate reason as any "withholding services" would affect his Ipswich contract too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Yip they are popping up more often than Chris Harris does as a guest.

No chance it's that many...

Reality being stretched too far....:D

They should give him a camera and he could do a travel vlog around GB...

Get the Tourist Board involved...:D