British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Redcar SGB Championship 29th May 2022- 4pm

3 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

But John posted the same on both. So fished him as well.

R I,,, two birds with the same stone? ;)

Do you work at Parliament?

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, crescent girl said:

That would be correct.   Brexit is the bad apple here, not any lack of ambition on the part of the clubs who desperately need to find riders.

Whilst I agree regarding Brexit and the troubles it has caused, it also must be said that Brexit hardly crept up on everyone and appeared to everyone's surprise. Maybe a bit of forward planning might've been the order of the day for certain clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

Whilst I agree regarding Brexit and the troubles it has caused, it also must be said that Brexit hardly crept up on everyone and appeared to everyone's surprise. Maybe a bit of forward planning might've been the order of the day for certain clubs.

Brexit did creep up.on us... due to pure arrogance... the little Englanders who thought Britain was more important than it was and felt they would not be expected to follow the rules anymore in a rules based society were living in cloud cuckoo land... 

The forward planning was that everyone was sold the idea that GREAT Britain will be able to do what it wants once we broke from Europe...

We are TCN's now as far as Europe is concerned... we lost our empire after the second world war and as much as I was not a fan of the European experiment I knew fully how hard it would be to extricate and untangle ourselves from the project...

We are where we are and I'm happy to abide by the vote but we can't keep moaning on about how it was or how it should be... we are in this hole now and just have to make a fist of it... Europe wont be doing us any favours for a long time to come... certainly more than one generation...

Just wait until Northern Ireland leave us and Scotland break away... it won't be quite Ukraine but there will be financial blood letting... however on the upside when Scotland do go independent at least there will be 14 more riders available for English clubs...

We're doomed a tell ya doomed...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 10:00 PM, Diamond geezer said:

So that makes sense (I think). The cynical side of me thinks there wasn’t a cat in hells chance any of them riders were ever going to sign anyway, so any attempt to sign them may have been more about PR than anything. If it was a genuine attempt to sign them, then the ££ must have been there to tempt them, so one would assume that would still apply to team building this year. 

not sure just random foreign riders will improve us, would have to be the right one. Look at Basso for example, and even he isn’t yet a heat leader. Most top riders who fall into heat leader brackets will have already rode here, and so fall into that”protected” category you referred to above - so assume that we have either tried already and/or we don’t want them. 

here is hoping for good news - Because I dread to think what Leicester and Poole will do to us in next couple of matches. And as for crowds - think a big signing will help draw in the crowds needed for sustainability. 

That's a sound assumption.  To be honest it looks like the Diamonds team has been done on the cheap but in reality only the promoters and riders know if that's the case.  Maybe Complin is on heat leader money? Whilst we might suspect everything has been done on the cheap that might not be the case.

In reality there are probably other reasons it's been difficult to attract riders other than money.  Sundays for a start, maybe the track, maybe the lack of stability around the club but certainly because there's not enough to go around.

I agree that the new foreigner market is unlikely to solve the problems.  You're effectively shopping at the not good enough to ride in Poland shop. So you'd do well to bring in anyone who'll be able to score much more than the assessed 5.00 or 4.00. Having said that they can't do any worse than the current reserves so if a couple of new riders average 4 or 5 and the guest for BWD is capable of scoring in heat 15 and 16 and the other 4 do their jobs that would be enough to win some matches.  But not home to Leicester and Poole.

9 hours ago, screm said:

that's fair but as a new promoter I don't think there was anything Rob Grant could have done to get that sponsors licence any earlier. Unsure when he effectively became promoter? 2020 or 2021? Maybe a ball was dropped but as a Sunday track I don't think having access to sign foreign riders would make much different. Even young Aussies head to Poland now rather than learning their trade in the UK.

what did happen to ease the problem was rising stars. whether you liked it or not it did create opportunities for more UK riders. Take Jordan Jenkins as an example he'd been knocking about for 3 or 4 years as a young prospect but was never able to hold down a team place for whatever reason. He and others, are now reaping the benefit from having an extended run in the CL. Now he might never become even a CL heat leader but he's developed into a CL standard rider capable of beating heat leaders on his day.

I think the majority kept their places or got a team place elsewhere so it worked on that basis but then the pipeline has been closed with teams unsurprisingly reluctant to give the next level of youngsters an opportunity when opponents are not obliged to.  So an opportunity to introduce another group of riders into the rider pool was lost in a pool that wasn't big enough in the first place. So what forward planning was put in place was then abandoned.

• Like 2

See Paul Starke is fit to ride for Ipswich against Kings Lynn tonight at number 2.

Good news that he's recovered so quickly!

5 minutes ago, Bendonebunching said:

Don't know where you got that from as Ipswich are using rr

https://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/20957/ipswich-kings-lynn-premiership-2022

It has been known to be wrong!

21 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

See Paul Starke is fit to ride for Ipswich against Kings Lynn tonight at number 2.

Good news that he's recovered so quickly!

3 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

Says otherwise on the British Speedway website preview.

Updates site has just been edited to confirm R/R so he's obviously still out of action!

4 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

https://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/20957/ipswich-kings-lynn-premiership-2022

It has been known to be wrong!

Now showing R/R

Sometimes the updaters simply have not had chance to confirm teams as soon as news come out, its a problem I have if I update weekend meetings that start not long after I get in from work.

2 minutes ago, Fina said:

Now showing R/R

Sometimes the updaters simply have not had chance to confirm teams as soon as news come out, its a problem I have if I update weekend meetings that start not long after I get in from work.

T'was stated officially on the 'Ipswich v Lynn' thread some time ago.