British Speedway Forum
iainb

Leicester vs Berwick 05/06/22 CL

I'll be at Leicester for this one, Leicester double win on the cards & will be interesting to see how many supporters stay on for the NDL meeting. This car of 3 bods will be staying for both :t:

We support all levels of the sport :t:

• Like 2

The track will be fine for the NDL meeting coz the tractor driver loves doing doughnuts on the bends!  :rofl:

Talk about 'u spin me round round' :party: 

Forecast now looking great for this... should keep the dust down

On 5/31/2022 at 1:42 PM, iainb said:

Come back to me in 5 years on those :)

Never going to happen unless a rule is introduced to include protected "home grown" riders in your team.

15 heats drag on at Leicester, 30 take an eternity! And the Leicester track is not conducive to great junior racing

Have you actually been to a cubs meeting ? For someone who has “ no interest “ in junior racing but seems to know what the NDL meetings have been like at Leicester in 2022.

On 5/31/2022 at 6:21 PM, crescent girl said:

Interesting, but untrue. 

Reference to the referee's official report to the SCB on Berwick's double-header on June 5th last year -- endorsed by SCB Track Inspector Mick Bates, who was in attendance -- tells us that 30 heats (plus one re-run) were completed by 21.15, well ahead of the curfew.   

Dust?  Yes, on what the report observes was a dry, sunny June evening, dust appeared after Heat 6, but was controlled.   

What you imply was a meeting being rushed through to meet a curfew was in fact a meeting of 31 starts which was briskly and efficiently presented.

It must have been the prevailing wind then because on the 3rd bend it looked like we had all been to the local tanning salon lol

6 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

Have you actually been to a cubs meeting ? For someone who has “ no interest “ in junior racing but seems to know what the NDL meetings have been like at Leicester in 2022.

I don't think I have claimed to know what the NDL meetings have been like at Leicester this season... maybe it would have been the ideal opportunity for the promotion to showcase what NDL racing is all about by pegging admission prices?

I have not been to a Cubs meeting, I was going to sample what it was all about a few years back when the club ran a double header with Cradley as the opposition in the NDL, my thinking was that if I watched the best 2 NDL clubs in the league at the time face each other I'd be giving myself the best chance of seeing the best of what the NDL had to offer...

Unfortunately the management were more preoccupied in the getting the tractor on the track rather than the bikes and it was ultimately rained off... it was the evening the club blocked me from Twitter because I was warning them there was a thunderstorm heading the way of the stadium.

Unfortunately that opportunity for the club to showcase NDL racing to me was lost... and from what I've seen of the ability of "Junior" riders to get around the Leicester track, it's really not saying to me it'd be a must watch product... just my opinion, I'm glad you enjoy it though.

Edited by iainb

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't think I have claimed to know what the NDL meetings have been like at Leicester this season... maybe it would have been the ideal opportunity for the promotion to showcase what NDL racing is all about by pegging admission prices?

I have not been to a Cubs meeting, I was going to sample what it was all about a few years back when the club ran a double header with Cradley as the opposition in the NDL, my thinking was that if I watched the best 2 NDL clubs in the league at the time face each other I'd be giving myself the best chance of seeing the best of what the NDL had to offer...

Unfortunately the management were more preoccupied in the getting the tractor on the track rather than the bikes and it was ultimately rained off... it was the evening the club blocked me from Twitter because I was warning them there was a thunderstorm heading the way of the stadium.

Unfortunately that opportunity for the club to showcase NDL racing to me was lost... and from what I've seen of the ability of "Junior" riders to get around the Leicester track, it's really not saying to me it'd be a must watch product... just my opinion, I'm glad you enjoy it though.

I merely asked the question because you said Leicester was not conductive to junior racing which i fail to understand how you can make that statement without actually ever watching a NDL meeting.

These guys are not freshly starting out & can’t turn the bike they are all comfortable on a bike , admittedly the race times are maybe 2 or 3 seconds slower but for me the racing is closer, some of the better racing I have seen at Leicester so far in 2022 has been NDL because the teams are more even.  Its also good to see the progress in riders like Mickie Simpson who may never make it to the top but the sport needs riders like Mickie who is 18 & could go onto be the next Simon Lambert.Sunday will cost you an extra £4 for 15 races which to me is a fair price for people like yourself who have never watched an NDL meeting.

All i say stay give it ago , if you don’t like it then all you have lost is the cost of one of the horse burgers from the food wagon.

As for the running of the meeting hopefully they will get on with it ….. but this is Leicester.

27 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

I merely asked the question because you said Leicester was not conductive to junior racing which i fail to understand how you can make that statement without actually ever watching a NDL meeting.

These guys are not freshly starting out & can’t turn the bike they are all comfortable on a bike , admittedly the race times are maybe 2 or 3 seconds slower but for me the racing is closer, some of the better racing I have seen at Leicester so far in 2022 has been NDL because the teams are more even.  Its also good to see the progress in riders like Mickie Simpson who may never make it to the top but the sport needs riders like Mickie who is 18 & could go onto be the next Simon Lambert.Sunday will cost you an extra £4 for 15 races which to me is a fair price for people like yourself who have never watched an NDL meeting.

All i say stay give it ago , if you don’t like it then all you have lost is the cost of one of the horse burgers from the food wagon.

As for the running of the meeting hopefully they will get on with it ….. but this is Leicester.

Yes, all fair points, when i say the track is not conducive to junior racing I am referring to the lesser (junior) riders of a CL team that i see trying to get around Leicester. Nobody stands out, I think it's fair to say even the highly rated Anders Rowe has failed to get to grips with the track and even the likes of Drew Kemp & Jordan Palin have failed to ever show anything. 

Anyway, you may just have sold it to me you rascal, I'll see what the teams are like after Saturday and what the weather is like on Sunday and may just pop along to see what all the fuss is about:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2022 at 6:32 PM, Turnip said:

The track will be fine for the NDL meeting coz the tractor driver loves doing doughnuts on the bends!  :rofl:

Talk about 'u spin me round round' :party: 

You want to try it, my head spins for ages after,  joking apart, it really does help protect the iner part of the track, 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BTFC LION said:

You want to try it, my head spins for ages after,  joking apart, it really does help protect the iner part of the track, 

Whatever happened to Briggo's wonder wheel? Used to be standard issue a few years back

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

Whatever happened to Briggo's wonder wheel? Used to be standard issue a few years back

We still have it, we use it before meetings manly, to be honest it's most effective when there is a good amount of dirt on the track,  but the grader is best at moving the dirt back down to the inside, it may get more use as the weather improves which allows more dirt to be added, which in turn allows better watering, as it stays in longer, 

• Thanks 1

https://youtu.be/kBKLTcPoE_c

Angry Grandma demonstrating wot the weather is gonna be like in Leicester tomorrow!.

Watch out for the tornader! :blink: 

Edited by Turnip