British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2022 27th-30th July Vojens Denmark live on TV

I hope all those that doubted Tai's ability and have said that he's past it and on the downhill slide take a good look at themselves.  If it wasn't for Tai the boys would be on a flight home!

Yes Lambert and Bewley are the long term future, but Tai is still far and away GB's No. 1 :t:

• Like 2

Think these past 2 nights have proven that it's not a foregone conclusion because your team has 3 x gp riders that we qualify re: Poland and GB.  Denmark hopefully will have taken that onboard for tomorrow night which should then produce the excitement.  I actually like this competition as it shows more countries can be competitive.

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

However that wasn’t the 1st time he has done that recently- he did it in Sweden and if memory serves me right GP’s as well.

Lambert also touched the tapes in the SON at Lublin!

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

PS The stats on the svemo site are great, but why is it such a pain to navigate?

I think I prefer it to the BSPA site! But the previous version was better.

37 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

I hope all those that doubted Tai's ability and have said that he's past it and on the downhill slide take a good look at themselves.  If it wasn't for Tai the boys would be on a flight home!

Yes Lambert and Bewley are the long term future, but Tai is still far and away GB's No. 1 :t:

I agree he's far from past it but the Extraliga averages and GP standings  suggest that there's little between the three, he's certainly not far and away the no 1 if he is at all.

Edited by Bagpuss

8 minutes ago, Badge said:

Think these past 2 nights have proven that it's not a foregone conclusion because your team has 3 x gp riders that we qualify re: Poland and GB.  Denmark hopefully will have taken that onboard for tomorrow night which should then produce the excitement.  I actually like this competition as it shows more countries can be competitive.

You're right. But running it on 4 consecutive nights on the same track cannot be a good idea. At the very least, we lose the two day final. But the worst of it is that the track has to set up slick and hard to withstand the wear and tear and then it's a gate and go competition. France demonstrated this more certainly than any team last night. They were first or last depending on how good a gate they made. We can hope that more shale will be shipped in tomorrow for the senior final and we can then, hopefully, see some more competitive racing.

33 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

He's far from finished, but for me Dan has been far more eye catching this year with his performances vs expectation. I really hope Tai can take last nights form into Saturday and then onto the rest of the GP series and take it to BZ

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, False dawn said:

You're right. But running it on 4 consecutive nights on the same track cannot be a good idea. At the very least, we lose the two day final. But the worst of it is that the track has to set up slick and hard to withstand the wear and tear and then it's a gate and go competition. France demonstrated this more certainly than any team last night. They were first or last depending on how good a gate they made. We can hope that more shale will be shipped in tomorrow for the senior final and we can then, hopefully, see some more competitive racing.

The best race of the night was France turning a 3-6 into a 7-2, so not sure why you single them out. Everybody found it hard to pass.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

Whilst I agree Woffinden is still No1 he is being caught, he certainly doesn't lead by far & away. 

Woffinden (7pts) with Lambert (6pts) before tapes exclusion heat. 

Woffinden (11pts) with Bewley (10pts)

What Woffinden does have a clear advantage over the other 2 with is gating. 

Even in the GP's Woffinden is only 3pts clear of Lambert & 6pts over Bewley. That's nothing 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Whilst I agree Woffinden is still No1 he is being caught, he certainly doesn't lead by far & away. 

Woffinden (7pts) with Lambert (6pts) before tapes exclusion heat. 

Woffinden (11pts) with Bewley (10pts)

What Woffinden does have a clear advantage over the other 2 with is gating. 

Even in the GP's Woffinden is only 3pts clear of Lambert & 6pts over Bewley. That's nothing 

Spot on. Gating and experience.

But how good is it to have three world class Brits?

don't give up on G.B quite yet . likely a bit of over confidence partly to blame for them and probably poland ,  when they had to deliver they did . thankfully it wasn't too little too late . that won't be the case on saturday . as far as the track is concerned , i don't know a track in the world that would take a hammering of 100 races & a similar number of practise laps in 4 days . hopefully they've been laying it down so they still have a half decent track for the final . also hopefully , they never try this again .  come on the youngsters tonight , a podium spot would give the seniors a boost aswell .

Edited by gee jay

Good to see countries such as Finland, Czech, France up there with the big boys

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Too many negatives popping up, seems as the British way of speedway is in the dumps all other nations should be dragged down as well.

The "smaller" speedway nations need developing, it has been said on here for some time. Individual riders need developing. I was glad to see and event that has brought 15 nations into one competition, for sure it was expected that the current dominant nations would predictable dominate. But did they?                         

Some "minor" nations surprised the top guns, at least giving them a run during a race though may not be beating them to the tapes. Who was not surprised at Luke Becker scoring 19, including 3 race wins....that is more than any other rider in Semi-final 1. Or the exciting rides from Timi Salonen and Marko Levishyn. Who was expecting those rider in SF1 to perform like that.                       

In SF2 Milik showed form that he can still race, he scoring 19 along with Woffy and Berge. Who would expect Paco Castagna to race as he did and get 17, a lot more points then Robert and Dan put together. Who was expecting Matic Ivacic to show the pace he did.

Can you see the enthusiasm this must have put into the young riders in these "minor" countries. The success of riders in Vojens must create enthusiasm with potential sponsors in those countries. There were sure signs progress can be made, the efforts of riders in the last two nights really was exciting. Not all efforts were turned into points, but the potential was clear to me.

The crowds were poor, did the organisers see that coming? We dont know. Having 4 meetings in 4 days would mean supporters virtually spending a week in Denmark. Can many afford to do that. For sure there was a couple of supporters from GB there the last two nights, maybe others as well.  Perhaps the organisers should have seen a low attendance coming, especially for three rounds, and could have said "we wont televise it", then there would still have been grumblers. I happy to see what has been on so far, the effort put in by organisers and riders (especially riders) will see something better in years to come.  For the few riders from the last two meetings that will be riding tonight I wish them well and they dont get any injuries, a fewer numbers will be racing on Saturday in the main final as well, 3 meetings in 4 days is impressive.

Whilst i agree with most of your post, i think the poor crowds could be predicted. Well they should have. Didn't they drop a similar idea in the SWC about a decade or more ago, because mid week meetings without the host country couldn't attract crowds ?

The Danes are certainly patriotic, and will turn out for the final, but i have often been surprised at how small crowds have been. The first time i was quite shocked actually when i went to Esbjerg for a Denmark v Sweden U21 meeting with Leon Madsen, Patrick Hougaard, Nikolai Klindt etc and i was expecting a thousand or more, and it was one man and a dog. I might well have been the only non family member attending in the crowd that day

Far from attracting much attention or sponsors, i think it would shock any non speedway fan, to see the ultimate world team championship being raced in front of those crowds, and so it should. I can't imagine any world championships for anything being watched by so few. I'd say even Curling gets better attendances

Shocking. And the speedway itself, although i only watched yesterdays meeting was a real turn off. The sort of thing when i tried to get my son interested by watching a GP.....he said 'they are just riding round in circles !!' and it was hard to disagree

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Didn't they drop a similar idea in the SWC about a decade or more ago, because mid week meetings without the host country couldn't attract crowds ?

Perhaps they took a leaf out of British Speedway's book!