British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2022 27th-30th July Vojens Denmark live on TV

I was disappointed that the senior GB riders didn't bother to attend, unlike the Polish senior squad, to give the GB under 21 boys some advice about the track and set up. I'm sure the young Polish riders appreciated their senior riders giving them advice and encouragement.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

No they are not consistent enough to be described as on the pace. They and Neil etc think they are but in reality they are NDL level in terms of the international platform. Look at how other nations have progressed and yet GB have gone backwards. Maybe in five to ten years from now they could be competitive but that might be wishful thinking. Until the idiots in charge in the U.K. recognise what a cock up they have made in terms of managing the sport and fully getting behind the riders, team GB will struggle.

I'm struggling to comprehend based only on the scorechart.  There were 18 riders in action tonight. Brennan was the 3rd top individual scorer and Kemp was 11th. Presumably the field contained all the best U21 riders in the World (Maybe Salonen or Blodorn. Perhaps other Poles or what happened to the Danish wunderkinder Birkemose?). Maybe Kemp would have beaten the Aussies but for his exclusion which would have taken him to 7th top scorer. Effectively only Poland had a better combination of riders. 

Two riders in the top 11 in the World and a bronze medal doesn't sound too shabby to me.

Do I think Kemp will go on to be a GP standard rider? No. But based on those stats does he deserve a shoeing? No.

I think the problem UK youngsters have is that as soon as they're in the Championship they're up against Premiership heat leaders. So it's difficult to progress beyond 2nd string and to build the confidence winning heats regularly brings and the experience the responsibility of being a heat leader provides. Yes they need to be able to beat these old hands but maybe with the confidence and experience gained at a lower level they might make that next step. All the current set (including Brennan) seem to be stalling at Championship level but on tonights display there's only Poland who you'd consider as being significantly better off than the Brits.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, enotian said:

I'm struggling to comprehend based only on the scorechart.  There were 18 riders in action tonight. Brennan was the 3rd top individual scorer and Kemp was 11th. Presumably the field contained all the best U21 riders in the World (Maybe Salonen or Blodorn. Perhaps other Poles or what happened to the Danish wunderkinder Birkemose?). Maybe Kemp would have beaten the Aussies but for his exclusion which would have taken him to 7th top scorer. Effectively only Poland had a better combination of riders. 

Two riders in the top 11 in the World and a bronze medal doesn't sound too shabby to me.

Do I think Kemp will go on to be a GP standard rider? No. But based on those stats does he deserve a shoeing? No.

I think the problem UK youngsters have is that as soon as they're in the Championship they're up against Premiership heat leaders. So it's difficult to progress beyond 2nd string and to build the confidence winning heats regularly brings and the experience the responsibility of being a heat leader provides. Yes they need to be able to beat these old hands but maybe with the confidence and experience gained at a lower level they might make that next step. All the current set (including Brennan) seem to be stalling at Championship level but on tonights display there's only Poland who you'd consider as being significantly better off than the Brits.  

Dont see how you consider Brennan to be stalling,he has improved greatly this season IMO.

Based on where GB once stood in World terms we have gone significantly backward in recent years.Excluding Sweden and Denmark these other Nations have never really been known as speedway Countries,Yet most have a couple of youngsters on par or better than us.

Australia now have riders in Poland better  or equal to any thing we have here.

Edited by Fromafar

A good entertaining meeting with some exciting talents on show - future looks bright for Czechia and Latvia on that showing if the likes of Gusts and Kvech can kick on. Adding to the likes of Salonen for Finland. 

Concerning future for Sweden - where is their next GP rider coming from? None of their 3 looked like potential world beaters or special talents. 

Positive outcome for GB but like the senior team, felt the body language on the podium said a lot about the mood in the camp - Flint particularly looking very hard done by to have gone all the way for no rides! Questionable decision on gates and lack of Flint rides - why pay TMs if you are just going to go as per programme (and GB have 3!).

Looking forward to tomorrow but for the pinnacle of the sport and ‘new era’ the coverage is at times embarrassing  - can somebody please give Kelvin and Chris a calculator or programme… it isn’t difficult to follow and professional commentators should be able to tell us the implications of a race! Secondly they should have some knowledge of the riders to add a bit of colour to their commentary - “I don’t know a lot about him” isn’t a great look with all the detail easily available online. And finally, Abi… please ask one question at a time with simpler words when speaking to riders who don’t speak a word of English… the poor Poles had a glazed look as she asked multiple questions in one! 

• Like 9

Was this on discovery + tonight as just logged on and nothing showing

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Dont see how you consider Brennan to be stalling,he has improved greatly this season IMO.

Based on where GB once stood in World terms we have gone significantly backward in recent years.Excluding Sweden and Denmark these other Nations have never really been known as speedway Countries,Yet most have a couple of youngsters on par or better than us.

He's 21 and not a #1 in the 2nd division and not getting a sniff at the Polish Extraliga and didn't qualify for SGP2. The latest comparisons are Lambert and Bewley who did. I think he is going to go on to be world class but would say he's behind the curve at this point. Maybe his leg break and 2020 played a part in that. Hopefully tonights points haul will get him opportunities to progress.

We're better than everyone at this level apart from Poland and the Czech's!!!  If I was Swedish I'd be worried.  The Danes must be a bit miffed. Basso the only Danish youngster with experience in the UK looked way better than those who've gone down the Polish route. Likewise with the Aussies. So it's only Gusts and Kvech outside the lead nations at a higher level.  No different to say Vaculik and Zagar being SGP riders. Good for the sport to have world stars from a range of countries.  Although I do have to say this crop of U21's don't look like becoming world beaters. There's no standout performer and even the Poles don't look at good as the Kubera, Drabik, Smektala batch of recent years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bash said:

Was this on discovery + tonight as just logged on and nothing showing

It’s there if you look - presumably you have entertainment AND SPORT ?

Edited by racers and royals
  • Haha 1

An enjoyable  meeting last night, but I must agree that the team management on both nights was generally poor.

Last night Flint should at least have had one ride probably two,  he would have been no worse than Kemp. There seemed to be  very little team spirit or real camaraderie amongst them, but all this "can't really be arsed" expressions on their faces doesnt really inspire supporters and sponsors.  Brennan has far more  discipline and good attitude, but it doesn't hurt to smile and stand with respect if you don't win as the other nations  proved last  night . GB body language is poor, and in this day and age you would expect them to be taught such things. You've only got to look at Gusts  example , a credit to Latvia,  can speak good English with a smile, he always seems to enjoy himself whenever you see him racing. His example of warm-up exercises , which I've noticed are not iuncommon in Polish racing is one that many could follow. These days fitness and strength are critical in speedway. 

But riders with "mardy kid" faces does them no favour at all. The first thing that serious sponsors look at is personal presentation and demeanour not to mention good self discipline. Woffinden is a prime example  for poor attitude., whilst Lambert and Bewley both seem way ahead in being media savvy and present themselves well.

When it comes to the seniors, even if they were present last night, they should have been visible  promoting the GB squads , I don't see Stead and Allen inspiring anybody and nice guys they maybe, but firstly why two of them, or are they both indecisive. Bewley has clearly come on a lot this season and obviously riding in the same team as  Woffinden week in week out they should have had more confidence in him. Lambert is also having a superb season in Poland and we should be proud of the two young men they , are our future. Just add some discipline and professionalism . Poland have set tha bar very high for the rest of world speedway to follow, we need to take note. As an example at the presentation the Polish team quickly printed up  signs for Ceirniak and Miskowiak to hold with good wishes to their injured teamate. The simple things that look good are easy to do.

Good luck too the lads tonight,  we've got three top class riders who really have a good chance of doing well. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed last night's meeting. This despite a poor surface to race on. Good to see the Czechs and Latvia doing so well. 

Kelvin and Chris clearly struggled last night. Much as I wish them well, the difficulty to understand the scoring and the possible ramifications was amateur hour. Instead of banging on how Denmark were in with a chance prior to the last race they should have identified the Latvians situation who - I believe - could only be denied a place in Heat 22 by one possible result. The whole broadcasting team don't seem to grasp that the most important thing is to not finish last rather than to win a heat. For example, in the Final the camera should have been following the race for 3rd not 1st.

Not a good look for the sport to have such a poor crowd, lets hope tonight's turn out is better. 

• Like 3

A 5th consecutive medal for GB at under 21 level, so while it wasn't a brilliant gold, it certainly isn't bad and "off the pace". I agree with most others on here that Flint should have at least been given 1 ride to see how he was going, he's at a comparable level to Kemp, on paper at least, so what was there to lose? He may have just have nailed the setup and gone through the card... we will never know. The senior team were very conspicuous by their absence, one can only hope they were away plotting a way to victory tonight... and whoever was responsible for the Team GB clothing needs to turn their washing machine down a bit.

I thought it was interesting to watch the different ways in which the countries went about their Speedway, the uber serious Poles, Danes and Brits, with all their people and team clothing and serious looks on their faces and then the Czechs... laughing and giggling their way through it, with one particular rider larking about waving at the camera like a crazed loon! And really the Czechs should have won it... was it their "unprofessionalism" that ultimately went on to be their downfall?

I wouldn't take too much notice of the results of this competition as an indicator of who goes on to be a great team or rider in the future, the history books tells us that if you're a great U21 rider it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to go on to be a decent senior rider.

Edited by iainb

Perhaps a night off to relax for Woffinden, Lambert and Bewley was considered the best preparation for tonight, or perhaps the U21 set up didn't want them in the pits? Rather than it automatically being assumed that they couldn't be bothered. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Perhaps a night off to relax for Woffinden, Lambert and Bewley was considered the best preparation for tonight, or perhaps the U21 set up didn't want them in the pits? Rather than it automatically being assumed that they couldn't be bothered. 

Even if the other 2 had been there Woffinden wouldn’t have been because he has said often that he doesn’t watch Speedway- It’s just a job to him.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

It’s easy to be a manager ...in hindsight it may have been a good idea to give Flint a ride early on ( I thought he deserved a ride at least to try him out) but they win as a team or lose as a team.

Well done to all the riders involved , some exciting prospects for the future ( GB were the only ones to lower Gusts colours in the main meeting?) 

Best wishes to all the injured riders, some nasty crashes last night.