British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2022 27th-30th July Vojens Denmark live on TV

Well done to team GB , topped the score chart at the end of qualifying , Silver is still a great achievement.

• Like 2

It was amazing race and brilliant riders shaking hands, thats what i call sport and its friendly sport as well. Its amazing and i can't stop laughing that Aussie Boys drinking champagne inside they boots lol:rofl::cheers:

27 minutes ago, PolskiZuzel said:

Of course is hurting...but you are not responding to my point. In speedway ( as I know it) two riders don't make a team, but a pair.

Three men teams rather than four men teams and a U21 reserve....?

Not much difference...

Maybe Kolodziej, Kubera and Drabik would have done better? 

Or Wozniak and Woryna? 

Plenty to choose from to put a decent three man TEAM together...

You just chose the wrong TEAM....

27 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Will find out who is 4th best really. 

Whoever is better than Bewley should've been there tonight then.

I enjoyed that.

Yes the racing wasn't great but it just shows how the sport can work on different levels. Yes there wasn't much passing, the semi final was the only top drawer heat, but there are not many world championships where 5 nations are still in with a chance with 15 minutes to go. Again it would help if the commentary team reported it in that fashion. Surely someone on the production team could have told them when the Poles were eliminated and that GB v SWE was effectively a run off to go straight to the final.

The crowd was abysmal so I guess the promoters won't bother reapplying and I doubt Discovery Sports would entertain it.  Maybe the late switch of venues was to blame?

However, I'm not sure the SON warrants a week long event anyway, especially if the home team doesn't rock up until the final. Given that the knockout nature of the semi final produced the best action why not have a one off Final with 16 countries where each heat is effectively a knock out, finish last and you're out. There'd need to be a repecharge and maybe a shield contest for those teams knocked out early to make sure each country appears at least 3 times and generate enough heats.  On the basis that the pairs format allows 6 (or 7 if Russia return) possible winners with a genuine benefit to team riding (in a knockout scenario) it has the potential to be a spectacular event, if held at the right venue.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JCookie said:

None of them are.. Bewley, Lambert and Woffinden are the clear top 3 right now what happens Monday will make no difference to that 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Makes no difference. GB topped the scoreboard so no team would have been better. With a sensible format GB have the gold medals. A one-off final is always a lottery as previous winners and losers would confirm.

• Like 1

I’ve not read through all the thread so maybe missed it, but why is no one slagging off Mark Lemon for not using Jason Doyle, in the same way that some tore into Neil Vatcher for not using Flint last night? The under 21s did a great job and chose not to change the pairings, same as Australia did tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Ace no.5 said:

Gobsmacked that we chose 1&3 in the Final. Not to mention the fact that the Aussies looked very dangerous off 2 and 4, look at GB results through the course of the night... Bewley off gate 3... 0 0 2. Bewley off gate 4... 4 4 4. Surely you have to back Lambert to get over one of Fricke and Holder from gate 2. I really do feel like the team managers have thrown that away big time.

I dod think 2 and 4 was the shout BUT if they had done that and the Aussies still won they would of been hammered 

8 minutes ago, enotian said:

Surely someone on the production team could have told them when the Poles were eliminated and that GB v SWE was effectively a run off to go straight to the final.

The total lack of accurate points analysis by the commentary team has been my bugbear all week. Surely next time they could take along a level-headed statto who understands the sport to feed them this kind of info? Points won off each gate, who won the relevant heat if it goes to countback, country X need a minimum of Y points here or they're out, etc etc. Someone like Dave Rowe would be ideal, IMHO.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fourentee said:

The total lack of accurate points analysis by the commentary team has been my bugbear all week. Surely next time they could take along a level-headed statto who understands the sport to feed them this kind of info? Points won off each gate, who won the relevant heat if it goes to countback, country X need a minimum of Y points here or they're out, etc etc. Someone like Dave Rowe would be ideal, IMHO.

Yeah noticed big time by me too. Culminated in them saying before GB's last heat that they "need a minimum of 5 points here" when in reality 3 points would have put us into the top 3...

39 minutes ago, Ace no.5 said:

Yeah noticed big time by me too. Culminated in them saying before GB's last heat that they "need a minimum of 5 points here" when in reality 3 points would have put us into the top 3...

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Ace no.5 said:

Gobsmacked that we chose 1&3 in the Final. Not to mention the fact that the Aussies looked very dangerous off 2 and 4, look at GB results through the course of the night... Bewley off gate 3... 0 0 2. Bewley off gate 4... 4 4 4. Surely you have to back Lambert to get over one of Fricke and Holder from gate 2. I really do feel like the team managers have thrown that away big time.

Spot on.  Dan had done nothing all night from 3 but not just won from 4 but smashed it so put Dan there and let Robert get 3rd. Bad, Bad call 

• Like 3