British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2022 27th-30th July Vojens Denmark live on TV

Another tedious night of racing (which I guess when four riders basically just follow each other all night , you CAN just call racing!!) only saved from complete boredom by the closeness of most of the teams.

If speedway is to have a good  long term future then those in charge have got to tear up the current way of thinking and stop sharing GP’s, World Cips etc around various tracks and Countries just to please everyone! They need to have them at the BEST tracks  that produce actual EXCITING and passing speedway! If that means the same few tracks/Countries get them all the time, then TOUGH!  Unless you are a die hard ‘happy clappy’ speedway fan people will get fed up with the rubbish we have seen (passing wise) in virtually every GP this season and big meetings like tonight.

They should start by having the British GP at a proper, exciting track (Belle Vue, which after all is supposed to the “National speedway stadium”! Instead of at that tinpot temporary track Millenium Stadium Borefest!

• Like 2

Right...

For all those whining about the "stupid" scoring system, here are the points as they actually scored, and also as they would have been with the standard 3, 2, 1, 0 format.

Actual  Standard

GB        32         22
SWE     30         21
AUS      30        20
DEN      28        18
CZ         27        18
POL      26         17
FIN       16         10

So, as you can see, the ONLY differences would be:

Sweden one point better than Australia (but it wouldn't have changed anything)
Denmark and Czechia would be level (but it wouldn't have changed anything)

Is the scoring THAT crazy? Or are you just thinking, "We've always done it this way, so we should keep doing it this way!"

Edited by chunky
  • Like 4

Nobody seems to have commented on Olly Allens interview in the pits on Discovery+, after the meeting, by Scott Nichols. Olly had a face like thunder and said that he was " Really annoyed and will take a couple of days to get over it!" I assume he was so annoyed at the result, and I didn't hear him praising the riders, unlike Steady a couple of minutes later. Certainly the riders didn't score the points in the final, but gates 2 & 4 would have been my prefered choice. Wonder who suggested the 1 & 3 chosen, especially after the riders performance off 2 & 4.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LesR said:

Nobody seems to have commented on Olly Allens interview in the pits on Discovery+, after the meeting, by Scott Nichols. Olly had a face like thunder and said that he was " Really annoyed and will take a couple of days to get over it!" I assume he was so annoyed at the result, and I didn't hear him praising the riders, unlike Steady a couple of minutes later. Certainly the riders didn't score the points in the final, but gates 2 & 4 would have been my prefered choice. Wonder who suggested the 1 & 3 chosen, especially after the riders performance off 2 & 4.

The interview with Ollie was not shown on Eurosport, we went on a break and missed it.

43 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I still can`t get over the fact that GB only had 2 riders in the pits ready to race !! Imagine the final - big crash Aussie excluded, 1 Brit injured can`t ride. Other Aussie wins race we lose 4-3. If 3rd rider available we win 5-4. Someone needs to ask questions to the GB management team.

What questions would you ask? Tai was only ruled out after a trip to hospital in the morning. Where would you propose finding a rider able to get to Vojens with his kit and his pit crew at such short notice? The under 21 riders all went home yesterday morning with two of them racing in England last night. Management did the best they could do with what they had and no amount of hypothetical questioning will change. There wasn’t a big crash to rule out an Aussie and a Brit and there’s nothing to say that, if that had happened, the one remaining Aussie would have won.

Australia got better as the night went on and were deserved winners. The Brits overcame the loss of Tai to take silver. That’s what happened. Anything else has to be pointless mithering. Who gave the Brits, even with Tai, a shout over Poland or Denmark?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Wee Eck said:

What questions would you ask? Tai was only ruled out after a trip to hospital in the morning. Where would you propose finding a rider able to get to Vojens with his kit and his pit crew at such short notice? The under 21 riders all went home yesterday morning with two of them racing in England last night. Management did the best they could do with what they had and no amount of hypothetical questioning will change. There wasn’t a big crash to rule out an Aussie and a Brit and there’s nothing to say that, if that had happened, the one remaining Aussie would have won.

Australia got better as the night went on and were deserved winners. The Brits overcame the loss of Tai to take silver. That’s what happened. Anything else has to be pointless mithering. Who gave the Brits, even with Tai, a shout over Poland or Denmark?

That`s rubbish and you know it- they knew Tai was a doubt long before Saturday morning. Tai`s bike and pit crew were on hand so it just needed a rider !! Vojens is certainly not in the back of beyond - Billund is near and Hamburg isn`t a million miles away. I used the final as an example- it could have happened in any of the 6 races and GB would have been well and truly stuffed !!

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Tai crashed Friday morning. Had over 30 hours to sort something out for a worst case scenario. And they diddnt. 
that’s not acceptable really. 

• Like 9

Lots of people are moaning about the racing, I thought it was great. The way Lahti kept riders behind him was top drawer - as commented on by Louis. You don't have to have lots of overtaking for it to be good racing, although there was some of that too. We'll done Vojens, a track you need to think on not just twist the throttle open. 

Some very valid points there ytsejam.

It got me thinking, which tracks are the best with the capacity to hold such events? It wasn’t long ago that Bydgoszcz was considered the bees knees but they haven’t held a GP for years. I struggle to think of many ‘world class’ tracks in the UK. Belle Vue, yes but beyond that? Perhaps it’s for a dedicated thread but can you list more?

Have just watched the " interview" show with a few races thrown in,poor choice of gates in final whose decision was that?

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Right...

For all those whining about the "stupid" scoring system, here are the points as they actually scored, and also as they would have been with the standard 3, 2, 1, 0 format.

Actual  Standard

GB        32         22
SWE     30         21
AUS      30        20
DEN      28        18
CZ         27        18
POL      26         17
FIN       16         10

So, as you can see, the ONLY differences would be:

Sweden one point better than Australia (but it wouldn't have changed anything)
Denmark and Czechia would be level (but it wouldn't have changed anything)

Is the scoring THAT crazy? Or are you just thinking, "We've always done it this way, so we should keep doing it this way!"

That’s fine as far as qualifying goes, but if you must have a final to decide the winners, rather than top scorers, then 4-3-2-0 becomes a nonsense.  2nd and 3rd being champions!!  What a nonsense.  Thank goodness the winners (whoever) were 1st and 2nd in the final race.

11 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

I’ve not read through all the thread so maybe missed it, but why is no one slagging off Mark Lemon for not using Jason Doyle, in the same way that some tore into Neil Vatcher for not using Flint last night? The under 21s did a great job and chose not to change the pairings, same as Australia did tonight. 

You should see the ASF!!

11 hours ago, Fourentee said:

The total lack of accurate points analysis by the commentary team has been my bugbear all week. Surely next time they could take along a level-headed statto who understands the sport to feed them this kind of info? Points won off each gate, who won the relevant heat if it goes to countback, country X need a minimum of Y points here or they're out, etc etc. Someone like Dave Rowe would be ideal, IMHO.

I think there in lies the difference between a "professional" commentator and a co-commentator... the pro would do their research beforehand and have a sheet full of stats to call upon during commentary, not sure if KT does, he may very well do.

Good effort from our boys... well done Aussie.

We can all take a year off next year as it's back to Poland to give them a home victory to keep them interested. It looks as though their fans have finally cottoned on to their "foreign" exploits as in previous years there was always more of a travelling support.

12 hours ago, Ace no.5 said:

Gobsmacked that we chose 1&3 in the Final. Not to mention the fact that the Aussies looked very dangerous off 2 and 4, look at GB results through the course of the night... Bewley off gate 3... 0 0 2. Bewley off gate 4... 4 4 4. Surely you have to back Lambert to get over one of Fricke and Holder from gate 2. I really do feel like the team managers have thrown that away big time.

I think the clue was in the interview with Allen pre race when he said "collectively agreed"...

There would have been some doubts voiced I am sure going 1/3 given the evidence in front of them that 2/4 was the better gates at that stage of the meeting..

It was noticeable that gate two in every meeting during the week became the best around two thirds in....

Still. Second is a decent result with plenty more to come from these two lads...

Edited by mikebv