Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON 2022 27th-30th July Vojens Denmark live on TV

18 minutes ago, spiegal said:

For your info..for 7 days before and 5 days after there was NO AVAILABILITY ON any Flight to DENMARK yet alone Billund. Logistically given the time frame impossible to get a body to the event..but as for somebody stopping over from Friday..then that is a another question.

For Billund see any airport on mainland Northern Europe or private plane from England to France/Germany 

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

You are not telling me there wasn`t a flight to Hamburg or Copenhagen ??

I think you’re just making yourself look silly now. It didn’t happen, and GB got silver. Would they have done better if they could have got someone else in quickly (who might not even have had a ride)? Who knows. Not me and not you. 
The decision was taken not to bring in a replacement (no doubt with difficulty and at uncertain cost) and the decision proved right. Do you really believe that GB would have won gold if any of the under 21s had been in the pits? Because I don’t. 

7 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I think you’re just making yourself look silly now. It didn’t happen, and GB got silver. Would they have done better if they could have got someone else in quickly (who might not even have had a ride)? Who knows. Not me and not you. 
The decision was taken not to bring in a replacement (no doubt with difficulty and at uncertain cost) and the decision proved right. Do you really believe that GB would have won gold if any of the under 21s had been in the pits? Because I don’t. 

You are the one that`s making yourself look foolish- I suppose you are going to tell me in the 4 meetings this week in SON/SON 2 no one got injured and couldn`t continue and injury replacements ie 3rd rider  were totally unnecessary. 

Edited by racers and royals

5 hours ago, Midland Red said:

That’s fine as far as qualifying goes, but if you must have a final to decide the winners, rather than top scorers, then 4-3-2-0 becomes a nonsense.  2nd and 3rd being champions!!  What a nonsense.  Thank goodness the winners (whoever) were 1st and 2nd in the final race.

As we have said before, there are a number of other "team" sports and events (cycling, cross country skiing etc) where the standings are not decided by the person who crosses the line first, but when the LAST team member crosses the line. As it's a "team", that makes perfect sense. Otherwise, you are turning a team event into an individual event.

Just because we have had the 3, 2, 1, 0 points system for most of our history doesn't mean that it has to stay like that. Did you object when footy changed from 2 points for a win to 3?

• Confused 1

Had to smile that the ' BritishSpeedway. Co.uk ' website classifies this SON final under ' miscellaneous ' while tomorrow's British Final is a ' Major Event '. 

I suppose the crowd could be bigger!!!

15 minutes ago, chunky said:

As we have said before, there are a number of other "team" sports and events (cycling, cross country skiing etc) where the standings are not decided by the person who crosses the line first, but when the LAST team member crosses the line. As it's a "team", that makes perfect sense. Otherwise, you are turning a team event into an individual event.

Just because we have had the 3, 2, 1, 0 points system for most of our history doesn't mean that it has to stay like that. Did you object when footy changed from 2 points for a win to 3?

I never have and never will see the need for a final. Individual, pairs and team championships ran perfectly well for decades until some smart Alec decided the system needed changing. Has it changed Speedway for the better?. No, as far as I’m concerned. When an individual can finish 8th. then win the final, or a team can out-score the rest and end up second or third, it becomes the joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, customhouseregular said:

I never have and never will see the need for a final. Individual, pairs and team championships ran perfectly well for decades until some smart Alec decided the system needed changing. Has it changed Speedway for the better?. No, as far as I’m concerned. When an individual can finish 8th. then win the final, or a team can out-score the rest and end up second or third, it becomes the joke.

You forget one thing applicable now-  'Speedway made for TV .( like plenty of other sports)

10 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Most of us feel the same way, but as Tim said, it is what modern sport WANTS, and more importantly, what TV wants.

With regard to your last sentence, it actually ISN'T a joke. It's the way that it has ALWAYS been! You just have to remember that the 20 heats are just a qualifier for the next round - the semis - in the same way that the Overseas Final was a qualifier for the Inter-Continental Final, and the Inter-Continental Final was a qualifier for the World Final. A rider could finish 8th in the I-C Final, and become World Champion.

Remember, it's not just speedway. An athlete can take the last qualifying place in a heat or semi-final - and then win the final. Same with rowing, and they even have a repechage! Is that a joke? Of course not.

You just have to remember that a "qualifying round" is just that, and not designed to count towards the overall result.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

You forget one thing applicable now-  'Speedway made for TV .( like plenty of other sports)

bah-humbug!. Does anyone have viewing figures for televised speedway in Britain?. I seriously doubt it breaks any records. Simplistic I agree but were not attendances healthier pre-tv coverage?. Has tv coverage helped the sport in Britain?. To my admittedly somewhat blinkered eyes the only beneficiaries of tv coverage are the Poles. Yes, I know I’m an old fossil, but I like my speedway as it was in the 60’s and 70’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Most of us feel the same way, but as Tim said, it is what modern sport WANTS, and more importantly, what TV wants.

With regard to your last sentence, it actually ISN'T a joke. It's the way that it has ALWAYS been! You just have to remember that the 20 heats are just a qualifier for the next round - the semis - in the same way that the Overseas Final was a qualifier for the Inter-Continental Final, and the Inter-Continental Final was a qualifier for the World Final. A rider could finish 8th in the I-C Final, and become World Champion.

Remember, it's not just speedway. An athlete can take the last qualifying place in a heat or semi-final - and then win the final. Same with rowing, and they even have a repechage! Is that a joke? Of course not.

You just have to remember that a "qualifying round" is just that, and not designed to count towards the overall result.

It’s all a matter fact interpretation. I don’t consider the 20 or 21 heats as a qualifier for the final. The semis, challenge or whatever are the qualifiers for the final. The 20 or however many heats in the last meeting are the final in itself. I accept others have different views and of course they are perfectly entitled and disagree with me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, customhouseregular said:

bah-humbug!. Does anyone have viewing figures for televised speedway in Britain?. I seriously doubt it breaks any records. Simplistic I agree but were not attendances healthier pre-tv coverage?. Has tv coverage helped the sport in Britain?. To my admittedly somewhat blinkered eyes the only beneficiaries of tv coverage are the Poles. Yes, I know I’m an old fossil, but I like my speedway as it was in the 60’s and 70’s. 

He didn't say he liked it, or it was what he wanted; he simply stated a fact. No matter how much you want to sit there and argue about it, it is 100% true. All televised sports today are controlled by TV. They arrange/approve schedules, they control commercial breaks, they control what you can and can't wear etc...

You would be amazed at some of the things we have had to do in darts! No, it's not always fun, but the people who pay your wages make the rules. If you want to compete, you have to abide by the rules.

Just now, customhouseregular said:

It’s all a matter fact interpretation. I don’t consider the 20 or 21 heats as a qualifier for the final. The semis, challenge or whatever are the qualifiers for the final. The 20 or however many heats in the last meeting are the final in itself. I accept others have different views and of course they are perfectly entitled and disagree with me.

That's fine, but you will spend the rest of your life pissed off if you refuse to accept fact. Is that really what you want?

• Like 1

Yep... when football becomes soccer then two halves goes to four quarters = two more 15 mins ad breaks.... simple's. 

Bye bye Saturday @ 3pm. :(

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

Uncertain cost !!! Don`t make me laugh- there was nearly a 20,000 Euro difference in prize money between finishing 1st and 7th 

2 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Yep... when football becomes soccer then two halves goes to four quarters = two more 15 mins ad breaks.... simple's. 

Bye bye Saturday @ 3pm. :(

Not just for ads. Working for 90 minutes twice a week is most unreasonable; players need all the rest they can get!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1