British Speedway Forum
FishersGate

Why does everybody hate Poole?

1 minute ago, HGould said:

Read what I said 

Not referring to the Club 

Referring to a change on the Management Committee. 

M Ford resigned, D Ford replaced bim

Believe it was voted but if on 1 person stands and all that.

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Read what I said 

Not referring to the Club 

Referring to a change on the Management Committee. 

M Ford resigned, D Ford replaced bim

But he still but the club up for sale before Dan took over the day to day running, so if a sale went though they would have been there! 

I am not a Poole fan - I bear no ill feeling to any of their regular contributors (unless they are responsible for reason 2 below!) but 2 incidents many years annoyed me and they have not won me over since

Reason 1 - Mervyn Stewkesbury. - Remember his grand plan for saving speedway in 1991? Poole had won the NL for the previous 2 seasons and wanted to move back up to the BL. Nothing wrong with that but I suspect he looked at Hackney's attempt in 1987 and the lack of help from the existing BL promotions so he came up with a cunning plan where 3 other clubs would also move up thus increasing the numbers in the BL and forcing some movement of heat leaders, the problem Hackney never overcame. Fine - and you may say yes it worked BUT at the cost of the teams deemed not big or sexy enough to move up - 1991 saw Eastbourne close (at first), a substandard team at Wimbledon with only 1 heat leader before closing and moving to Eastie, a sub standard Hackney with a new promoter who proved to be out of his depth and the team closing halfway thru the season, both Mildenhall and Milton Keynes would not survive 2 seasons, with Canterbury closing in '87 and Rye House only having a couple more years, only Arena Essex (who would soon be a BL team) were left. NL speedway was all but wiped out in the south east thanks to Mr S - as a Hackney fan, I went from a 50/60 matches a season to a few weekend run outs on the M/C - which comes to reason 2

Reason 2 - Some un-names F***** at Poole 1994

I went to the occasional mid-summer match at Poole, it was a nice run out from London on the bike, especially if you avoided the M3 going down. I cannot remember the date or the opposition but I do remember coming out of the stadium to find my bike on the floor in the carpark, obviously it had been hit by a car, fairing was smashed, paintwork scratched as if it had been dragged and worst of all the front forks had been damaged. I called out the breakdown people who took one look at it and told me the front wheel was cracked so there was no way it could be ridden back to Kent as it could potentially collapse at any moment. Things got worse as the garage who had insured me had made a mistake on the insurance and insured it pre customisation which meant I ended up spending a fortune getting the bike resprayed in Embassy Blue. OK my fault on that one for not double checking but whoever knocked the bike over just drove off - no exchange of numbers/note left, nothing.

So that's my reasons - I realise it's a long time ago and my feelings for Poole have mellowed through the years from pathological hatred to a smug smile when things don't quite go right - I bear no malice to any Poole bloggers, indeed I find them quite entertaining in their own way when they are defending their team

Rant over -feel better for that

• Like 1

I do not like the word hate as it is a very sore point and would use do not like instead.

12 hours ago, Andy Downes said:

I am not a Poole fan - I bear no ill feeling to any of their regular contributors (unless they are responsible for reason 2 below!) but 2 incidents many years annoyed me and they have not won me over since

Reason 1 - Mervyn Stewkesbury. - Remember his grand plan for saving speedway in 1991? Poole had won the NL for the previous 2 seasons and wanted to move back up to the BL. Nothing wrong with that but I suspect he looked at Hackney's attempt in 1987 and the lack of help from the existing BL promotions so he came up with a cunning plan where 3 other clubs would also move up thus increasing the numbers in the BL and forcing some movement of heat leaders, the problem Hackney never overcame. Fine - and you may say yes it worked BUT at the cost of the teams deemed not big or sexy enough to move up - 1991 saw Eastbourne close (at first), a substandard team at Wimbledon with only 1 heat leader before closing and moving to Eastie, a sub standard Hackney with a new promoter who proved to be out of his depth and the team closing halfway thru the season, both Mildenhall and Milton Keynes would not survive 2 seasons, with Canterbury closing in '87 and Rye House only having a couple more years, only Arena Essex (who would soon be a BL team) were left. NL speedway was all but wiped out in the south east thanks to Mr S - as a Hackney fan, I went from a 50/60 matches a season to a few weekend run outs on the M/C - which comes to reason 2

Reason 2 - Some un-names F***** at Poole 1994

I went to the occasional mid-summer match at Poole, it was a nice run out from London on the bike, especially if you avoided the M3 going down. I cannot remember the date or the opposition but I do remember coming out of the stadium to find my bike on the floor in the carpark, obviously it had been hit by a car, fairing was smashed, paintwork scratched as if it had been dragged and worst of all the front forks had been damaged. I called out the breakdown people who took one look at it and told me the front wheel was cracked so there was no way it could be ridden back to Kent as it could potentially collapse at any moment. Things got worse as the garage who had insured me had made a mistake on the insurance and insured it pre customisation which meant I ended up spending a fortune getting the bike resprayed in Embassy Blue. OK my fault on that one for not double checking but whoever knocked the bike over just drove off - no exchange of numbers/note left, nothing.

So that's my reasons - I realise it's a long time ago and my feelings for Poole have mellowed through the years from pathological hatred to a smug smile when things don't quite go right - I bear no malice to any Poole bloggers, indeed I find them quite entertaining in their own way when they are defending their team

Rant over -feel better for that

Sorry to hear your experiences but just for balance - how do you know it was a Poole fan that damaged your bike?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's funny, I used to quite like Poole in the elite league days. Tony Rick, mark loram, Noddy and Darcy some of my favourite riders to watch, obviously oblivious to whatever rule bending went on at that time.

I'd say there's a few fans have a superiority complex I guess, but it's a good wee rivalry got with ourselves and the pie rats. Look forward to the meetings and hopefully get one over on them this season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

It's funny, I used to quite like Poole in the elite league days. Tony Rick, mark loram, Noddy and Darcy some of my favourite riders to watch, obviously oblivious to whatever rule bending went on at that time.

I'd say there's a few fans have a superiority complex I guess, but it's a good wee rivalry got with ourselves and the pie rats. Look forward to the meetings and hopefully get one over on them this season 

Personally I try to defend my team when I think I need to, I don't defend them when they have bent or twisted the rules as they have done in the past a few times, I don't deny that but since we have been in the championship I don't remember any times when this has happened. I like the rivalry we have had over the years and the Glasgow Tigers rivalry is great and good for both teams and the sport in general I believe. We have been rightly criticized in the past for our bumpy track but that is not the case now. There are some who will always hold a Grudge against us and although we will always want to win a friendly rivalry with other teams is a good thing in my opinion. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaizer said:

It reminds me of the Poole vs Coventry rivalry a little bit. I agree with what you say apart from the last 7 words!;)

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2022 at 8:07 PM, ScottyJ said:

Right ok, I'm a young fan only been going speedway for just over 10 years with a large gap in between. One thing I've always heard from pretty much every fan I've met is the disliking for Poole. Now don't get me wrong I think alot of is jealousy but I've heard some very weird stories of why alot of fans take a disliking to them. When I've been to Leicester the atmosphere seems to turn up a notch or two cause Poole are in town. Can anyone give me a reason or reasons why they are not every ones seconds team? 

Get used to it mate, Jealousy is right. They hate success. :t:

We at Sheffield miss out on all the fun with Poole,we haven't faced them since 1996!

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

It reminds me of the Poole vs Coventry rivalry a little bit. I agree with what you say apart from the last 7 words!;)

I don't think it compares with Coventry, that was much more than a rivalry!!

Some really interesting comments here, hate is a strong word but if there was a team I dislike the most it's probably Coventry! 

I don't like the Pirates, I love em! :D

I absolutely hate mayonnaise & fish though! Yuck :approve:

And those gambling adverts with Keith Lemon on em, doin me nut in! :(

Edited by Turnip

1 hour ago, ScottyJ said:

Some really interesting comments here, hate is a strong word but if there was a team I dislike the most it's probably Coventry! 

The season after I got into the sport, Olsen went to Coventry and took them to another level whilst The Lions were in decline and as a school kid I used to detest our local rivals upturn. Home defeats to the bees seemed the norm for a while. I’ve now grown up and the Bees are no more.

It’s healthy to have rivalry in sport (without hatred) and I think that people on this forum will try and wind Pirates fans up with some banter. Some of them take it too seriously (taking the bait) judging by responses to posts.