British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

BERWICK v LEICESTER (second part of double-header) June 4th

29 minutes ago, HGould said:

Can't you accept the fact that Berwick, like some other Clubs don't have the confidence in their local wi-fi network to either stream commercially all of the time nor offer card payments.

Can't you give them credit for being 100% transparent about this.

No I can't accept it when the evidence points to the opposite, see above post

36 minutes ago, iainb said:

https://www.berwickspeedway.com/banditstv/

I've watched at least 2 streamed matches from Berwick, Bandits vs Birmingham on the BSN and the BU21 Final a couple of years ago. I've suggested a solution, run a wire from a reliable source.

Two in 54 years probably qualifies as  "sporadic" 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, George Dodds said:

No idea what you're on about regarding streaming as we don't. 

The problem is reliability of signal at the periphery of the stadium.  Obviously a reliable, secure signal is vital to run card payment equipment. 

If the solution was simple we would have taken the simple solution. 

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Can't you accept the fact that Berwick, like some other Clubs don't have the confidence in their local wi-fi network to either stream commercially all of the time nor offer card payments.

Can't you give them credit for being 100% transparent about this.

What's worst, being clear entry is via Cash or taking a risk, crossing their fingers and praying that a wi-fi signal will be good enough to allow people who think they can pay by card to be able to use a card.

Who'd be the first to moan he drove 300 miles each way to Berwick to find his card didn't work because the wi-fi signal had dropped out.

Fair play to Jamie Courtney and everyone at Berwick who run a tight and successful ship.

Did you know you can pay by card upon entry with Berwick Rangers?

https://berwickrangers.com/match/matchday-information/

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Have you considered that the football club may have access to fixed-line  and internet, not available to the speedway club?

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

And has it worked reliably? 

I dunno, have you asked them? One assumes it has as it's on their website. You're closer to the club than I am, put it to them instead of coming up with ideas on why stuff can't be done

9 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Have you considered that the football club may have access to fixed-line  and internet, not available to the speedway club?

I did consider that yes... but then soon dismissed it as they operate from the same facility and it would be very unlikely that they'd be running a metered line. 

Sorry for coming up with solutions to everybody's problems, you can lead an old dog to water but you can't make it drink new tricks:)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, iainb said:

I dunno, have you asked them? One assumes it has as it's on their website. You're closer to the club than I am, put it to them instead of coming up with ideas on why stuff can't be done

I did consider that yes... but then soon dismissed it as they operate from the same facility and it would be very unlikely that they'd be running a metered line. 

Sorry for coming up with solutions to everybody's problems, you can lead an old dog to water but you can't make it drink new tricks:)

As I said earlier if the answer  was simple we'd have taken the simple answer but as that doesn't suit your agenda  then continue to think you have all the solutions and the rest of the us  are idiots 

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Whatever it offers on their website, have you actually been able used such a card at the turnstiles before a BRFC match over the past eighteen months?

Thought not.

Edited by crescent girl

58 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

As I said earlier if the answer  was simple we'd have taken the simple answer but as that doesn't suit your agenda  then continue to think you have all the solutions and the rest of the us  are idiots 

Have you asked them? Straight yes or no. And how were the streamed matches transmitted... this is like getting blood out of a stone! If you'd care to stop being so bloody defensive and give some straight answers. Have you looked at a wired solution. I'm just asking questions that's all, I have no agenda you need to take your tin foil hat off :drink:

35 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Whatever it offers on their website, have you actually been able used such a card at the turnstiles before a BRFC match over the past eighteen months?

Thought not.

Not even tried, I don't follow BRFC

Edited by iainb

16 hours ago, iainb said:

Have you asked them? Straight yes or no. And how were the streamed matches transmitted... this is like getting blood out of a stone! If you'd care to stop being so bloody defensive and give some straight answers. Have you looked at a wired solution. I'm just asking questions that's all, I have no agenda you need to take your tin foil hat off :drink:

Not even tried, I don't follow BRFC

Yes I know the answer  - very little demand probably due to their relatively low crowds and admission price. Slow connection when required to print receipts. 

Two of the three meetings streamed were from empty stadiums with no other demands on the upload connection - but not without incident.  Birmingham I don't know as I was busy elsewhere in the stadium that day and don't know what specific measures BSN had in place.

Seem to remember complaints on here - but that's not usually a true measure of reality. 

Feel free to invent a parallel reality to fit your agenda.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Yes I know the answer  - very little demand probably due to their relatively low crowds and admission price. Slow connection when required to print receipts. 

Two of the three meetings streamed were from empty stadiums with no other demands on the upload connection - but not without incident.  Birmingham I don't know as I was busy elsewhere in the stadium that day and don't know what specific measures BSN had in place.

Seem to remember complaints on here - but that's not usually a true measure of reality. 

Feel free to invent a parallel reality to fit your agenda.

So it is possible and the demand seems to be from the promotion due to the handling costs of cash. I assume the connection was wireless, if that's a bit ropey then try a wired solution, according to the Ofcom website there is good coverage for mobile data in the area of the stadium https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage#pc=TD152EF&uprn=10024651855

As far as I recall the problem with the U21 was down to a power failure at the stadium and the BSN match was their first stream, so a few teething problems were only to be expected. I'm not sure why they'd be any other demands on a secure internet connection, you probably will though. Anyway the required bandwidth for a card transaction would be a tiny fraction of that required for a streaming service.

I've told you, I have no agenda, be interested to know what you think my agenda is... in the mean time keep wearing the tin foil hat!

A little bit of extra promotion, folks!

Chris ‘Bomber’ Harris will be handing out goodie bags to the first 50 children accompanied by an adult via a pre-booked ticket  at tomorrow night's double header at Shielfield Park.

Chris will also sign autographs and be available for a selfie 

Saturday 4th June, 2022

Kids go free online!

Tapes up at 6:30pm!

Book your tickets here:   https://www.berwickspeedway.com/tickets/

This wee match refreshed the spirits, with falls, silencers falling off and some close finishes!    Just like speedway should be at Third Division level.

But through it all, the bright future of talented teenagers shone through, giving us hope for a brighter, younger British future.  IMO.

28 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

This wee match refreshed the spirits, with falls

Watching riders fall off refreshes your spirits... sick :(