British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Belle Vue v Ipswich Monday June 6th Live on TV

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

You've seen other meetings from BV I presume? Daft to judge a track from one meeting.

I have seen other meetings at Belle Vue but I said this one was boring. Judging by last night, Are you saying it was "top drawer" ? 

If you were to judge the meeting last night along with what was served up at Ipswich and Peterborough, was it that different? 

All 3 tracks have produced better meetings in the past, can't judge what we used to have , just what we have been shown at last attempts.  

3 hours ago, Col said:

Such creative thinking is beyond team managers!

Ipswich needed a heat advantage, the only hope of that was putting Doyle off gate 3 (worst position) with Batchelor off gate 1, hope Batchelor made a good start and Doyle could figure out a way past one of the Aces. 

I don't think there was a great deal between Batchelor & King on the night TBH.  Batchelor had popped out the start in front of Zagar once, King hadn't.

There were fans on the back straight?  The disabled supporters at the NSS have a balcony in the grandstand, behind the seating on the exit of turn 4.  They had to share it with TV crews previously but didn't last night.

My own thoughts, however many points Barker's bike relinquished Brennan seemed to give as many away early in the meeting.
Don't think either team manager managed the R/R situation at all well.  Sedgeman must wonder why he agreed to the booking having been replaced by a reserve.
Track was better than the Kings Lynn fixture.

........ and also a balcony at the other end of the Grandstand on the entry to turn 1.

5 hours ago, Haza said:

Another entertaining meeting from the NSS  - fans staying home to watch is understandable I think £20 + to get in while can watch on tv if already paying for Eurosport makes no sense in paying twice - along  with cost of living expenses it makes complete sense to watch from home . Not even convinced reduced admission would make much difference to crowd levels at tv meetings nowadays. 

Agree completely

14 minutes ago, BarracudaAce said:

........ and also a balcony at the other end of the Grandstand on the entry to turn 1.

I've never sat at that end, so wasn't sure.

2 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Boring meeting  only kept interesting by the close score line . 

If that's the best track in the country.. Ipswich must be 2nd. Another track where going the shortest way round wins the race.:blink:

28 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

I have seen other meetings at Belle Vue but I said this one was boring. Judging by last night, Are you saying it was "top drawer" ? 

If you were to judge the meeting last night along with what was served up at Ipswich and Peterborough, was it that different? 

All 3 tracks have produced better meetings in the past, can't judge what we used to have , just what we have been shown at last attempts.  

The bit in bold make it sound like you are questioning BV as a racetrack based on last night alone, if I've misunderstood you then fair enough. Last night was a half decent watch without hitting the heights that the NSS has on many previous occasions, I think the missing riders contributed to that and R/R is always a nuisance. 

There is no if, BV is by far the best track i  the country and very rarely is the inside line the quickest, usually there are multiple fast lines.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

As some have already said 'the track came to the riders in the latter stages'!  Not sure that would have stopped older TV viewers from switching channels at 9pm to The Prime Minister's Confidence vote result OR any younger viewers switching to  Love Island? :rofl:;)

2 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

If that's the best track in the country.. Ipswich must be 2nd. Another track where going the shortest way round wins the race.:blink:

Change of glasses needed I think. Although last night wasn’t a classic and have been lots better there was still plenty of decent racing once the inside slickened off a bit.

And yeah of course just need to ride round the inside, tell Jason Doyle that lol

If last night had been 1 lap races ... would much have changed result wise? 

Wright "block passed" Hume in 1 heat and Barker would have finished more races.... 

• Haha 2

Good to see that King can get passed up the inside away from home as well!

To be honest I thought the meeting was ok Ipswich just ran out of puff. 

Interesting to see rumours of Lambert coming back to the UK, could Ipswich be really brave and make a move for him to add some firepower.

17 hours ago, Turnip said:

Not so sure Discovery will be happy with the lack of support on the terraces like at Ipswich.

There's always a lack of support on the terraces at Ipswich, unless there's a very big attendance. The vast majority of fans stand around the top of the terraces on the first & second bends, and on the seating high above the back straight. Viewing is poorer lower down because of the stock car catch-fencing.

7 hours ago, Col said:

Such creative thinking is beyond team managers!

Ipswich needed a heat advantage, the only hope of that was putting Doyle off gate 3 (worst position) with Batchelor off gate 1, hope Batchelor made a good start and Doyle could figure out a way past one of the Aces. 

I don't think there was a great deal between Batchelor & King on the night TBH.  Batchelor had popped out the start in front of Zagar once, King hadn't.

There were fans on the back straight?  The disabled supporters at the NSS have a balcony in the grandstand, behind the seating on the exit of turn 4.  They had to share it with TV crews previously but didn't last night.

My own thoughts, however many points Barker's bike relinquished Brennan seemed to give as many away early in the meeting.
Don't think either team manager managed the R/R situation at all well.  Sedgeman must wonder why he agreed to the booking having been replaced by a reserve.
Track was better than the Kings Lynn fixture.

Very few team managers "think outside of the box" like this, Zagar or Kurtz at 2 would also have protected heat 8, knowing Ipswich were bound to use their strongest r/r in heat 8 (Batchelor).

As you say, if you need a heat advantage, giving your strongest rider the best gate isn't a great idea. I've seen it before though, I remember an Ipswich meeting where Tony Rickardsson was given a fresh tyre for heat 15 (r/r in use) he wins the heat & completes a maximum but Ipswich don't get the heat advantage they needed! Just trying to keep their top men happy?

Some really good racing, great to see ex-Robin Zagar doing well, with Swindon lad Brennan for Vue. Doyley superb but Batch not the rider he was at Blunsdon. Woeful crowd, considering the millions that live in the area.

11 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Did you watch the same meeting as the rest of us?  some decent racing most of the races had something happening.Zagar superb Kurtz decent  and King showing improved form Doyle on it also thought Hume rode very well for a measly 2 point return.

• Like 4

I never post much these days, but being a loyal Aces fan, I could see sat in the grandstand on Monday that it was poorly attended but when I watched the recording last night, Jesus. 

Are people like me really the last fans standing. My 2 eldest kids have found better things to do (teenagers) while my youngest is still Aces mad. Chase the Ace is great and the white line challenge is a good idea.

What I’d like to see is a faster show.  15 heats in an hour or just over. Most of the time I don’t think the NSS needs grading every 4 heats. Speedway needs to be exciting, which it is but dragging it out makes it dull, even for 37 year veterans like me. Make it fast, punchy and loud. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kryten said:

What I’d like to see is a faster show.  15 heats in an hour or just over. Most of the time I don’t think the NSS needs grading every 4 heats. Speedway needs to be exciting, which it is but dragging it out makes it dull, even for 37 year veterans like me. Make it fast, punchy and loud. 

These days, less is often more, the success of T20 cricket shows this and then they went even lesser with The 100, even Golf is at it now with a 54 hole tournament with all the players teeing off at the same time... where as Speedway seem to want to artificially extend a meeting to beyond 2 hours by using tractor racing as a distraction as they think that punters will feel short changed if they've not had 2 hours "entertainment"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1