British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OGT

Zdenek Kudrna 40 years.

40 years ago today we lost Zdenek Kudrna who succumbed to his injuries sustained at Stadskanaal the previous day. RIP. 

FB_IMG_1654038235824.jpg

• Like 2

Certainly an entertainer. I was amazed that he turned up at Perry Barr every week in an Austin Allegro with a bike rack on the back! My mate wouldn't trust his to get us from Wolves to Brum on the M6 let alone making the journey from Czecho'. 

RIP

• Like 3

201202102115_1.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure if I ever saw him ride? Did he once have the nickname "Kermit?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure if I ever saw him ride? Did he once have the nickname "Kermit?"

Yes he did; it was due to his green leathers. I saw him a few times, and he was fun to watch...

I remember seeing him in the national fours at Wolverhampton.  Every time he went into the first bend he knocked somebody off. 

There was a rumour that the other riders asked for him to be banned from the meeting.  

• Like 1

Of course there was the tragic accident involving Rolf Gramstad which ending Rolf's speedway career and left him with mobility issues.

• Sad 1

did he also make a world final appearance in ice speedway. there was a Czech rider who made word finals in both sport's, i know about Eric stenland.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DazS said:

did he also make a world final appearance in ice speedway. there was a Czech rider who made word finals in both sport's, i know about Eric stenland.

He did indeed. Jan Verner, another Czech rider also achieved that feat

• Like 2

3 hours ago, briggo said:

He did indeed. Jan Verner, another Czech rider also achieved that feat

I think I'm right in saying that Jan rode in four World Finals that same year? Speedway and Ice Individual, Pairs and World Team Cup?

• Like 1

At The Stadskanal circuit they have a memorial headstone at the entry that Vaclav Verner presented.

I think Milan Spinka also rode in the ice & speedway finals. He was World Champion on Ice in 1272 I think

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Technik said:

At The Stadskanal circuit they have a memorial headstone at the entry that Vaclav Verner presented.

I think Milan Spinka also rode in the ice & speedway finals. He was World Champion on Ice in 1272 I think

He was World Ice Speedway Champ in 1974, but never reached a speedway World Final. Best he managed was the European Final in 1972, and the Continental Final in 1980 and 81. He did ride in the World Longtrack Final in 1973, though.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I think I'm right in saying that Jan rode in four World Finals that same year? Speedway and Ice Individual, Pairs and World Team Cup?

...I think he also made the Longtrack Final the same year so that made it five World Finals?

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I think he also made the Longtrack Final the same year so that made it five World Finals?

That's right, he rode in five World Finals in 1977!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2022 at 5:54 AM, chunky said:

That's right, he rode in five World Finals in 1977!

Probably my favourite "Did you know" of speedway history is that. Probably those mentioned above are the only others who ever had a chance of emulating that. I don't know the year, but I know even Ivan Mauger had a crack at Ice Speedway once and wasn't at the races.

Edited by falcace