British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Glasgow v Scunthorpe 12th June 2023

Weather forecast looking like rain early/middle afternoon but would not surprise me if it is just on and off drizzle. Nothing so far and I would be surprised if the meeting did not go ahead. 15 minutes from track ATM.

36 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

There's been rain in Partick this morning. Windy and definitely not warm. Suspect it will go ahead but I'm going to give it a miss today. Partly the weather and partly because 3pm on a Sunday makes getting other things done a bit awkward.

Hmmm if only something was in place for you to watch it, at a time that suited you and a means for away fans to see their team without spending a fortune on fuel.

3 hours ago, HGould said:

Glasgow, as is the way of the Faceena brothers paid top wack for the best Streaming Production available to them at realistic costs.

Clearly it must not have made them any money and why should any Club lose money to stream speedway to people who lets be honest are watching on TV as it's easier to do that then get off their backsides and go and watch it live. There will always be genuine and worthy exceptions and away support for whom its more practical, no point denying that but surely it has to be both profitable and sustainable but also not be detrimental to reducing/eroding attendence for the Live version any more.

A number of Clubs are doing good streaming but unless in the final analysis it makes them some net profit why would you sell a product for 12 quid that probably 2-3 people watch for one subscription of 12 quid; when those 2-3 people could be spending £50-£60 to come in and another £20-£30 on food and drink and possibly merchandise. They would have to buy probably 5-6 streams to generate the possible income from ONE actual visit. 

It's a sad fact that too many of us, and as a collective it's a trait in Speedway seem to expect hard working Promotions to just keep on subsidising the Team for them to turn up as and when they feel like it. 

Its not nor has it been for a few decades a sustainable business model. 

Streams are almost exclusively bought by away fans who cannot travel to the meeting.  With, for example. 100 watching, that's £1200 per meeting of extra income.  If you're spending over £1200 per meeting on the production of the stream, then you're doing something wrong. 

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

Hmmm if only something was in place for you to watch it, at a time that suited you and a means for away fans to see their team without spending a fortune on fuel.

Unlike some, I don’t expect the promotion to lose money for my entitled convenience. They already do a great job and put in a lot of money. I’ll be back on Friday when the Cheetahs visit.

12 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Streams are almost exclusively bought by away fans who cannot travel to the meeting.  With, for example. 100 watching, that's £1200 per meeting of extra income.  If you're spending over £1200 per meeting on the production of the stream, then you're doing something wrong. 

1) you need to guarantee 100 people will buy the stream

2) yes, you can do it cheaper if it’s all in-house, but that also requires some up front cost. If it’s an external production company, it gets expensive quickly.

It’s always easier to tell other people to risk their money. Anyone fancy offering to self fund it for the promotion and split any profits?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

1) you need to guarantee 100 people will buy the stream

2) yes, you can do it cheaper if it’s all in-house, but that also requires some up front cost. If it’s an external production company, it gets expensive quickly.

It’s always easier to tell other people to risk their money. Anyone fancy offering to self fund it for the promotion and split any profits?

If speedway can't do enough to get 100 paying customers on a stream then it really is bad. As you keep repeating, it's a convenience (not sure why that's bad) so surely 100 customers is easy?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

I think the major cost is the service provider, then getting say 3 cameras, 4 if you want to do pit interviews or roving.Scunny have a few enthusiatic fans willing to do it, hence why it gets called amateurish,Glasgow being more professional will probably pay big for 2 or 3 announcers and would not be surprised if it cost 3k or more to stream 

It's as simple as this, it wasn't making money therefore wasn't viable to continue. 

Those smart folk with all the answers go tell the facenna's today and volunteer your services :t:

• Like 2

Delayed another 30 minutes as track is too soft to get a tractor on. If it is too soft now it will not improve much in 30 minutes or longer so this will end up like the Edinburgh meeting on Friday. Track unfit. Forecast of rain proved true so this could have been called off earlier.

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Delayed another 30 minutes as track is too soft to get a tractor on. If it is too soft now it will not improve much in 30 minutes or longer so this will end up like the Edinburgh meeting on Friday. Track unfit. Forecast of rain proved true so this could have been called off earlier.

Can't win, if had called it off would've had the "Its dry now could definitely have been on" brigade on 

• Like 1

Can they not delay it into an evening meeting? Would that be enough time to dry it out? Though I guess it depends on how sunny and windy it is? 

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Can they not delay it into an evening meeting? Would that be enough time to dry it out? Though I guess it depends on how sunny and windy it is? 

More rain in the forecast. I'd suggest if don't start in next half hour won't start at all

• Thanks 1