British Speedway Forum
cinderfella

Glasgow v Scunthorpe 12th June 2023

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

If you call off matches in June for a spot of rain, then you'll be racing these fixtures in a wet October, not able to cancel them as there's no dates left!

I don't want it to be the policy I'm just saying that it could be the case from now on to stop stupid farces like this happening at Glasgow. If it's forecasts rain. Don't run the meeting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottyJ said:

I don't want it to be the policy I'm just saying that it could be the case from now on to stop stupid farces like this happening at Glasgow. If it's forecasts rain. Don't run the meeting. 

Forecasts not always right though. Especially when it is localised showers as they can hit anywhere. 

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Forecasts not always right though. Especially when it is localised showers as they can hit anywhere. 

This is my point, same people on criticising this decision would be on saying it's ridiculous calling it off based on a forecast. You can't win. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jaizer said:

This is my point, same people on criticising this decision would be on saying it's ridiculous calling it off based on a forecast. You can't win. 

You can't win either way. That's speedway for you ! Couldn't make it up. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ScottyJ said:

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Not long ago on 20th May both Scunthorpe & Glasgow had forecasts of rain. We cancelled our meeting & got slated as fans turned up at the gates from Newcastle even though it was on British speedway site & ours & twitter that it had been cancelled at around noon. We also had a power cable cut that supplies the stadium just at the roundabout. Your meeting went ahead.

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Not long ago on 20th May both Scunthorpe & Glasgow had forecasts of rain. We cancelled our meeting & got slated as fans turned up at the gates from Newcastle even though it was on British speedway site & ours & twitter that it had been cancelled at around noon. We also had a power cable cut that supplies the stadium just at the roundabout. Your meeting went ahead.

I might have been gutted Basso left Poole, doesn't mean I'm gonna switch over to Glasgow though lol;)

• Like 1

Unless the forecast is so bad as it accompanies a weather warning or very close to, then it should not be called off in advance.

Its hard on everyone when you have a dry day then it decides to rain at start time but that is life.

• Like 1

By all accounts, while frustrating that I've now missed the meeting, looks like correct decision was made, times seem about usual and seems to have been something approaching racing.

Well done to track staff, riders and the supporters patient enough to have sat through the delay :t:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottyJ said:

If it is forecast rain then get the covers down. All this could of been avoided today if the track was protected for the 30-45 minutes it actually rained.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SilentLurker said:

If it is forecast rain then get the covers down. All this could of been avoided today if the track was protected for the 30-45 minutes it actually rained.

I don’t think the track staff at Glasgow tend to find the covers are incredibly helpful, and putting them on and removing them is very consuming. It’s not like cricket covers. I remember one of the track staff responding to someone who asked in relation to the Poland Test Match last year, but I can’t find it.

• Like 1

Is Palin going to need to leave EWR if he is to improve? Should be doing better than that imo. In danger of becoming a one track pony

• Like 3

Fairly decent meeting in the end with Basso, Nicol and Hume getting stuck in. Ulle still too slow with Basso and Nicol rounding him rather than be caught by a Scorps rider after Lambert did Basso in ht5. Jake Allen was fairly poor on a track he's normally decent, Jordan Palin even poorer. Expect stronger opposition on Friday with Oxford.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Is Palin going to need to leave EWR if he is to improve? Should be doing better than that imo. In danger of becoming a one track pony

Hes in real danger of stagnating, could do with getting away 

• Like 1