British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cowboy cookie returns?

Killing the sport

Just been looking though the team line ups on the British speedway Facebook page. For the 18 meetings that have taken place since the first of June that they list lines up for, there have been 27 guests & 12 rider replacement facilities used.

It is not just the Guest and rider replacement facility that has killed the sport so far this season.

Petrol prices and cost of living go part way, but the whole package as it stands is a bag of she ite.

Even if the 15 races are brilliant, who wants to watch a tractor on a Monday night at Belle Vue race round 9 times and not even grade the track, every 4 races!!!!!!!!

Fortunately I watched on Eurosport where it was just drivel from ill informed pundits and piss poor presentation.

But wait a minute you say, racing was superb (Which it was) but 1 hour 45 minutes of clap trap is not worth the 15 minutes.

Overhaul is not required, autopsy is

• Like 4

With fuel costs rising as they are, just on that consideration, could be big loss of tracks at the end of year. Tracks will have to get into streaming quickly if the want to survive, couple with something new to them…… promoting an event well.

• Like 2

Not just rising fuel costs but some tracks want fans to book tickets in advance, should still be able to pay cash on gate, which would suit some older fans, plus weather considerations.

A 6 team league is no good, the season is starting later and later. Poland has got it right.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

Looking thru' last week's Speedway Star I saw that the list of top averages for Premiership and Championship.

Top of Premiership: Steve Masters (Wolves)

Top of Champoonship: Steve Masters (Edinburgh)

Are they related????

Should the Leagues be renamed; Monday & Thursday League and the Rest Of the Week League???

Finally should Chris Harris represent every team at the League Riders Final???

Team sport has certainly been wrecked in Britain.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Looking thru' last week's Speedway Star I saw that the list of top averages for Premiership and Championship.

Top of Premiership: Steve Masters (Wolves)

Top of Champoonship: Steve Masters (Edinburgh)

Are they related????

Team sport has certainly been wrecked in Britain.

Impressive effort from Steve after not racing since 2005...Unless it was Sam you were meaning? (sorry, couldn't resist)

I agree with your main point that the amount of riders in both leagues is a joke and along with the amount of guests used, totally devalues the "team" element

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Impressive effort from Steve after not racing since 2005...Unless it was Sam you were meaning? (sorry, couldn't resist)

I agree with your main point that the amount of riders in both leagues is a joke and along with the amount of guests used, totally devalues the "team" element

Whoops, can I blame predictive tewxting......  I will get my Biro out and correct it.. Nah, I will play at being a Promoter and not bother! :D

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Whoops, can I blame predictive tewxting......  I will get my Biro out and correct it.. Nah, I will play at being a Promoter and not bother! :D

Polands fault this...

I’ve watched meetings in Sweden with their teams of GP riders in some and the atmosphere in the stadium seemed non existent! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Just been looking though the team line ups on the British speedway Facebook page. For the 18 meetings that have taken place since the first of June that they list lines up for, there have been 27 guests & 12 rider replacement facilities used.

It’s been dead as credible Sport for years,but it really just getting ridiculous now.Every Team working the rules to their advantage at every opportunity.Young riders coming into sport have been stifled from moving forward now that Team can even get guests for reserves.

55 minutes ago, GWC said:

I’ve watched meetings in Sweden with their teams of GP riders in some and the atmosphere in the stadium seemed non existent! 

But, in fairness, they do have a large company sponsoring the league and dont share riders via a guest system so the team that wins has genuinely only won it by themselves, and not an adhoc amalgam of "willing paid helpers"...

(Maybe the sponsorship level and credibility level is linked. Who knows? But I would suggest it definitley is linked in Poland..

I am surprised though at how many are published attending some meetings with it often looking like watching a TV meeting over here on screen...

Some tracks are getting over 2000 according to the attendance figures.....:o

Which certainly doesnt always look like that on camera.. 

The UK, Sweden and Denmark do seem to have a similar demographic of follower, and also similarly, seem to struggle to attract different demographics to go along and watch..

You would imagine if Sweden lost their main sponsor that their league would be under considerable pressure..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

The problem started 20 years ago when clubs were allowed to operate double up and down riders, who had no link with the other club.

It has got to the point now where riders are getting more out of the sport than the fans by having a team at every port.

The supporter needs to feel the rider is part of them, their team, not some fly-by-night who is clock watching or afraid of being injured because he has another race date later on.

It has got to the point now where riders choose the track based on its race day and not the club.

It is no way for a team sport to exist.

Speedway has reached fourth division short -termism. 

• Like 5

50 years ago nearly every rider had a full time job somewhere so a bike in the boot a set of leathers and a box of spanner’s was their major outlay.

Nowadays riders have huge outlays so riding in one league doesn’t pay the bills. Promotions limited income plus a rider shortage and you have the scenario we have now.

Sadly I don’t see things getting any better so enjoy it while it’s still here!

• Like 7

19 hours ago, secsy1 said:

Even if the 15 races are brilliant, who wants to watch a tractor on a Monday night at Belle Vue race round 9 times and not even grade the track, every 4 races!!!!!!!!

Don't worry if fuel prices keep rising most Speedway clubs won't be able to afford to fuel a tractor so should speed the meetings up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1