British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cowboy cookie returns?

Killing the sport

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

But you said earlier you just enjoy watching the racing and others find a reason to complain and not go. Now you are telling us there is a valid reason :blink:

I never said it was a valid reason FOR ME. However, I see the frustration from most of the posters on here regarding that!

My point was that we've been down to a handful of teams before - and we survived. That isn't - and shouldn't be - an issue...

3 hours ago, chunky said:

See? The supporters are NEVER happy. They always find a reason to complain, and a reason not to go. I just enjoy watching racing, and it's a pity others can't...

I used to visit Cowley every week irrespective of the meeting format...it was only when I re-located that I stopped going to speedway (although I used to travel the country following my team(s)) Never a great fan of watching on the box (although I have an extensive DVD collection) as it was being there "live" that really made it for me.

Edited by steve roberts

3 hours ago, iainb said:

You would have loved it at Leicester last night then... 40mins of tractor racing between the meetings and the usual amount of tractor racing during the meeting... 30 minutes racing packed into 240 minutes

It's things like this that make me realise I don't  miss Speedway meetings now. 

6 hours ago, Gemini said:

I feel exactly the same, if you had told me five years ago i would not miss  speedway i would never of believed you.Have only been to a handful of meetings since Covid and with the Swindon fiasco coming to a conclusion cannot see myself going on a regular basis again.I might go to the Poole v Glasgow fixture and get along to Oxford and that is it.I  still do my speedway memorabilia and keep in touch with the sport daily but the sport has stagnated and surprisingly i do not miss it anymore.I did enjoy the Belle Vue v Ipswich fixture and it did keep me interested so surprised Gemini that you don’t visit Leicester speedway anymore anyway hope you are keeping well.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, chunky said:

The fact that there aren't many teams isn't the problem; the problem is that there is no loyalty and you have no idea who is riding for your team on a certain night!

But you said earlier you just enjoy watching the racing and others find a reason to complain and not go. Now you admit there is a reason

So it seems you are moaning with no reason about people who moan with a reason . You couldn’t make it up :blink:

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gemini said:

Even the former sponsor of the Cubs team was leaving after heat 7 of the 2nd match!

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

But you said earlier you just enjoy watching the racing and others find a reason to complain and not go. Now you admit there is a reason

So it seems you are moaning with no reason about people who moan with a reason . You couldn’t make it up :blink:

Shut up, gustix...

On 6/13/2022 at 6:53 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I feel exactly the same, if you had told me five years ago i would not miss  speedway i would never of believed you.Have only been to a handful of meetings since Covid and with the Swindon fiasco coming to a conclusion cannot see myself going on a regular basis again.I might go to the Poole v Glasgow fixture and get along to Oxford and that is it.I  still do my speedway memorabilia and keep in touch with the sport daily but the sport has stagnated and surprisingly i do not miss it anymore.I did enjoy the Belle Vue v Ipswich fixture and it did keep me interested so surprised Gemini that you don’t visit Leicester speedway anymore anyway hope you are keeping well.

Ditto here, I thought I'd miss speedway if I stopped going. The season that broke me was 2010 since then I've gone from almost ever present at home meetings to one maybe two meetings a year. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Ditto here, I thought I'd miss speedway if I stopped going. The season that broke me was 2010 since then I've gone from almost ever present at home meetings to one maybe two meetings a year. 

A shame Cowboy ,i feel ashamed but it does not mean the world to me like it used to.Still see good meetings great and think the buzz will comeback it does for a period but speedway in the Uk  is so frustrating.

• Like 1

How many of us will reach our death beds regretting our wasted hours at the speedway watching mostly track grading?

I honestly think back now and feel it was only out of habit I attended for so long. Still love the sport, and its history, but can't be bothered with the modern stuff. It ain't the speedway I fell for. 

Most on here saying they've stopped attending and don't miss it, are merely echoing what I've been saying for yonks. I was only warning back then the sport needed a big shakeup. Look what level it's down to now.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4

I have been trying to work out whether I had  rose tinted memory syndrome of the atmosphere and racing at county ground when I used to go in the early to mid 90's & if I recall it as better than it was because it was an occasional treat and change from road racing as I was based on the Isle of Man back then.

I don't notice the grading breaks so much if I am watching live stream at home as I tend to have grabbed a few screen shots to sketch from, but although I have enjoyed the racing at Redcar this season when I have been offered a lift up, I am feeling that the atmosphere is not what I remember at speedway matches and I didn't recall meetings being so drawn out.  

19 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

How many of us will reach our death beds regretting our wasted hours at the speedway watching mostly track grading?

I honestly think back now and feel it was only out of habit I attended for so long. Still love the sport, and its history, but can't be bothered with the modern stuff. It ain't the speedway I fell for. 

Most on here saying they've stopped attending and don't miss it, are merely echoing what I've been saying for yonks. I was only warning back then the sport needed a big shakeup. Look what level it's down to now.

In Britain the thing that has always stuck in my mind Moxey was John Berry..He certainly was not everyone’s cup of tea but he could of revamped speedway in the Uk someone independent   but that avenue was lost.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fina said:

I am feeling that the atmosphere is not what I remember at speedway matches

Of course it's not. Crowds are nowhere near the size they used to be, and that results in lost atmosphere...

To be honest the in-between race tractor grading never bothered me...too busy talking to my fellow supporters on the terraces to take any great notice which was a great part of the evening out for me!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Typical BSF negativity. Great 2022 season so far, with most clubs doing good business.  Thank goodness those on here are not reflective of those enjoying their speedway on the terraces.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1