British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cowboy cookie returns?

Killing the sport

1 hour ago, GWC said:

5 man teams and one league to get us out of this mess!

The main reason we have a shortage of U.K. riders is because none are coming from the Grasstracks.

Grasstrack is now less than 10% of what it was 20+ years ago when most of the top riders were tempted to have a go @ Speedway!

P.S. The old style second half with junior races allowed "wan-a-be-stars" to show their talents.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

The main reason we have a shortage of U.K. riders is because none are coming from the Grasstracks.

Grasstrack is now less than 10% of what it was 20+ years ago when most of the top riders were tempted to have a go @ Speedway!

P.S. The old style second half with junior races allowed "wan-a-be-stars" to show their talents.

Couldn't agree more...we were spoit at Cowley during the seventies with the quality of the second halves and riders competing both establish speedway and occasional grasstrack rider (Julian Wigg, Ken Matthews, Chris Drewitt etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Having the 2nd Division too strong also stifles growth...

At least 3 of the septets per team should be NDL HL level, with one, at most, Div 1 HL level...

• Like 1

BUT there are just not enough riders and of quality to sustain this current malaise. Neither are there enough young riders coming through to sustain the injury attritions.

Also I still can’t understand how or why the bspl can allow our 3 best riders we have probably produced in the past 20 years to ply their trade elsewhere.

1 hour ago, GWC said:

BUT there are just not enough riders and of quality to sustain this current malaise. Neither are there enough young riders coming through to sustain the injury attritions.

Also I still can’t understand how or why the bspl can allow our 3 best riders we have probably produced in the past 20 years to ply their trade elsewhere.

Nothing the BSPL can do about it, it’s the riders choice.

2 hours ago, GWC said:

Poland's rules and wanting to not drop a level over here. ..

Riding in Sweden (no idea how they afford it given the teams appear stromger than Poland), ensures Lambert and Bewley have to be "on it" every night, whereas over here they wouldn't get challenged the same...

These lads need to continually benchmark themselves against the very best to keep on that upward trajectory....

The basic problem with the sport is riders riding all over the place. It robs youngsters of a spot all over. It is not only the UK that are having problems, but it was noticed and has been going on for a decade or more. I pointed out the dramatic drop in riders in Denmark. Just as i seem to recall Anders Michanek in Backtrack noted the drop in number from his time in Sweden. Poland, although maybe the only country trying to do something, are also seeing this happen now

I remember back nearly two decades ago now and here in Germany we had qualifying rounds for the German championship and also i seem to remember the U21 championship, divded into North and South. Now it seems they are lucky to get a full field without using a foreigner or two on german licences...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Having the 2nd Division too strong also stifles growth...

At least 3 of the septets per team should be NDL HL level, with one, at most, Div 1 HL level...

You could be right but the old National league years ago had riders who could of been full time BL performers for a prolonged period..( ie) Perks, Sansom,Sampson, Jackson, Owen x2 ) Hunter,Sheilds,  as examples .For me now the leagues are reasonably close the Prem for me is a poor product something needs to change.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

These lads need to continually benchmark themselves against the very best to keep on that upward trajectory....

I watched Woffinden riding in Denmark the other night and his only challenger was Rasmus Jensen. Walk in the park otherwise.

Bewley and Lambert seem to be doing likewise in Sweden a few times.

If it’s ok for Doyle then our guys should be making the effort to bring their own league up a standard. 

When the money runs out over there (not Poland) I guess they’ll be back.

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

The basic problem with the sport is riders riding all over the place. It robs youngsters of a spot all over. It is not only the UK that are having problems, but it was noticed and has been going on for a decade or more. I pointed out the dramatic drop in riders in Denmark. Just as i seem to recall Anders Michanek in Backtrack noted the drop in number from his time in Sweden. Poland, although maybe the only country trying to do something, are also seeing this happen now

I remember back nearly two decades ago now and here in Germany we had qualifying rounds for the German championship and also i seem to remember the U21 championship, divded into North and South. Now it seems they are lucky to get a full field without using a foreigner or two on german licences...

Yes I think Golf is now the ‘in’ sport in Denmark they have some very good young players too. Much safer and less stress for the parents!

Sweden apart from Lindgren don’t seem to have anyone of note sadly.

Edited by GWC

27 minutes ago, GWC said:

I watched Woffinden riding in Denmark the other night and his only challenger was Rasmus Jensen. Walk in the park otherwise.

Bewley and Lambert seem to be doing likewise in Sweden a few times.

If it’s ok for Doyle then our guys should be making the effort to bring their own league up a standard. 

When the money runs out over there (not Poland) I guess they’ll be back.

You must have watched a different Woffinden match to me- May 25th- hardly the other day and he scored 12 from 7 - hardly a walk in the park

Edit the other match against Jensen was May 4th and Woffinden scored 13 from 7 - again hardly a walk in the park.

Edited by racers and royals

Killing team sport using my home town wolves as an example              Sam masters rides for Edinburgh .Nick morris rides for Leicester. Ryan Douglas rides for Scunthorpe  Steve Worral rides for Poole. Drew kemp rides for Poole .leon flint rides for Berwick, only Luke Becker rides only for wolves, right there is why team speedway has died in Britain, how is anyone new to the sport supposed to follow their club when it’s just a glorified swingers club, speedway has many other issues as why it is dying but as far as team speedway goes this has killed the team concept 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Killing team sport using my home town wolves as an example              Sam masters rides for Edinburgh .Nick morris rides for Leicester. Ryan Douglas rides for Scunthorpe  Steve Worral rides for Poole. Drew kemp rides for Poole .leon flint rides for Berwick, only Luke Becker rides only for wolves, right there is why team speedway has died in Britain, how is anyone new to the sport supposed to follow their club when it’s just a glorified swingers club, speedway has many other issues as why it is dying but as far as team speedway goes this has killed the team concept 

Add to that the guests within the same league and that does makes it difficult to really get a strong sense of who a  team are and get into following them as a new fan.  

I actually forgot who Bomber rides for in Championship the other day and totally mis interpreted a comment someone made to me on updates.

38 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Sam Masters last week was No 1 in the averages in Div 1...

Sam Masters last week was No 1 in the averages in Div 2....

:o:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Sam Masters last week was No 1 in the averages in Div 1...

Sam Masters last week was No 1 in the averages in Div 2....

:o:D

Let's not forget that Andy Grahame qualified for both the BLRC and NLRC the same year...