British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Geckohead

Start line shenanigans...

Hi

Relative newbie to the sport here:

Could someone tell exactly what the riders are doing pre start? it seems quite a carry on, leaning the bikes to one side, going backwards and forwards, using their heels to do something to the surface etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any info...

On 6/9/2022 at 5:28 PM, Geckohead said:

Hi

Could someone tell exactly what the riders are doing pre start? it seems quite a carry on, leaning the bikes to one side, going backwards and forwards, using their heels to do something to the surface etc etc.

They should tarmac all starting grids,would speed the meeting up no end.

Hi

It's always a contentious issue but as regards leaning the bike to one side it's to allow the clutch to cool whilst the bike is supported by the foot rest thereby allowing the rider to release the clutch lever.

59 minutes ago, Derrickn said:

1)Would rip the tyres to shreds

2)Would create a ramp where the shale meets the tarmac

3)If a rider flipped it at the start the chance of serious injury would increase

Just three reasons why not without any great effort - there is probably many more

• Like 1

Hi

With getting a good start being so crucial it is to maximise the chance of a speedy getaway

Packing in material to give best traction

Also if the ruts are too deep the silencer will bottom out an kill any momentum 

11 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

1)Would rip the tyres to shreds

2)Would create a ramp where the shale meets the tarmac

3)If a rider flipped it at the start the chance of serious injury would increase

Just three reasons why not without any great effort - there is probably many more

starting off wet tarmac after track watering would be somewhat exciting to say the least.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Derrickn said:

If I recall this was done during the fifties(?) and was soon abandoned.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall this was done during the fifties(?) and was soon abandoned.

An intact concrete starting grid still exists, at Californiz Country Park where California Poppies rode in the 1950s

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

An intact concrete starting grid still exists, at Californiz Country Park where California Poppies rode in the 1950s

Halifax had a concrete starting grid in the fifties,and I don't remember it being dug up when they reopened in 65,so maybe they laid the granite over it.When the tractor came round on the track grade,they always lifted the grader when they past over the starting grid,so could have been something still there.I also remember a concrete starting grid at the old Stoke stadium at Sun street.I am sure a material could be found that would put an end to all the ridiculous gardening that goes on,and would make all gates equal .

• Like 1

There are many things contributing to the general decline of speedway and the time wasting shenanigans at the start of races is one of them.

Why did the riders not do this in the 50's 60's 70's and maybe most of the 80's? Possibly because the riders didn't have the power they seem to have now.

It's pointless pleading for sanity and a return to the days when spectators seemed to actually matter because nothing will ever change and the sport will continue on it's inevitable course to oblivion.

• Like 1

Just to piggyback this thread about riders at the start line,

At the start line when the back is usually cooling the clutch as you’ve said I often see riders gesturing up to the referees box and almost waving, what are they doing?

4 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

Just to piggyback this thread about riders at the start line,

At the start line when the back is usually cooling the clutch as you’ve said I often see riders gesturing up to the referees box and almost waving, what are they doing?

Asking for the green light to be put on so they know where it is

On 6/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, keepturningleft said:

Why did the riders not do this in the 50's 60's 70's and maybe most of the 80's? Possibly because the riders didn't have the power they seem to have now.

because pushing the tapes/moving at starts was allowed, so not as important as it is now

I don't mind the gardening myself I think it adds to the racing , also like to see the different routines riders have  imo it would be boring to come straight out line up and go one race after another .I do believe it is a way of riders calming themselves as well ,as we have seen from the GP's this year the heart rates do go up some what .

14 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

I don't mind the gardening myself I think it adds to the racing , also like to see the different routines riders have  imo it would be boring to come straight out line up and go one race after another .I do believe it is a way of riders calming themselves as well ,as we have seen from the GP's this year the heart rates do go up some what .

I agree re the gardening and other things that go on...

The UK just needs to do what the Poles do..

Two minutes is on, and you had better be ready to start in two minutes.. 

Noticable too over there that when using RR or putting in a TAC sub which means "two on the run" for a rider, there is seldom extra time added like you hear from the track announcers over here...

The two mins is on, and you had better be ready to start in two minutes...

This means they run meetings in "sections", so have several natural breaks for relaying the track and plenty of time to go to the toilets, bars etc...

The start marshall is also linked to the ref too so the riders all start in line and not going off at all angles, and no one can pull back from the tapes when the start marshall moves away like happens over here..

Simple, structured, and organised..

• Like 2