British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Geckohead

Start line shenanigans...

The concrete/tarmac starting area was used in speedway from the early 1930's until 1956 when First Division clubs ditched them, with Second Division clubs doing likewise from the following season. The original grids had their critics and at some tracks there was a definite "jump" when the riders went over them. Many different materials were tried. individual blocks like housebricks, grooved tarmac, ridged concrete etc. All of them did wear out fairly quickly and had to be regularly replaced, and often one grid wore smooth much more quickly than the others - and riders using it were put at a distinct disadvantage.

Personally, I prefered the concrete/tarmac to what we have at present. I thought the riders generally had more even starts and there was definitely none of the nonsensical too-ing and fro-ing  and general time wasting at the start of the races that we have to endure now. There is, of course, the safety issue, and riders were more prone to rear at the start than they are now, but I think the danger is a bit over-stated.

I'd like to see the two minute warning much more rigidly applied, and perhaps even reduced to one minute, with no reserve replacement for riders excluded for touching the tapes, and the old system of the riders lining up a metre behind the start line and then being called forward one by one by the start marshall - grid one first, then grid two etc, but of course this couldn't be done without the return of a much firmer base material at the start - perhaps some kind of very heavy rubber mat placed across the grids. I do have a material in mind and have shown it to a few promoters but none have displayed any interest in trying it.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 6:11 AM, mikebv said:

Simple, structured, and organised..

3 words that are about as inappropriate to use about British Speedway as any others in the dictionary.

Edited by MattB

It can sometimes be a little too much but in some races I think it adds to the tension. Bit of mind games sometimes too - last to tapes etc. 

Ah the days when riders used to roll into the tapes to try and catch out a rival who would break the tapes in anticipation...Garry Middleton was a master at it! Certainly got the fans going never mind the oppostion rider and Team Manager who would be straight on to the centre green phone adding to the entertainment!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Ah the days when riders used to roll into the tapes to try and catch out a rival who would break the tapes in anticipation...Garry Middleton was a master at it!

Mauger was another...

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

riders used to roll into the tapes t

Think that era would have suited Doyle better  always seems to push his luck can't remember the last GP where he didnt get a warning or excluded !