British Speedway Forum
gmuncie

Monarchs vs Diamonds 7.30pm Friday 10th June

36 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

'Leaf blowers'!!!,,, would've thought hair dryers might have been better?,,, but not sure how many speedway fans would carry one in tha bag,,, it might take a while with flannels!!! ;)

We just used to put some sawdust down,and got on with it.

• Like 1

The unfortunate shower right on 7.30. Couldn’t write it. Track was ruined after it and beyond being saved. Oh well.

6 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

The unfortunate shower right on 7.30. Couldn’t write it. Track was ruined after it and beyond being saved. Oh well.

The third and fourth bend looked absolutely fine.  The first and second bend didn't look too bad on the inside.  Obviously where the deep stuff was it didn't look to clever, but that's where rider options come into play.

That track could have been sorted in 30 minutes.

32 minutes ago, idanthyrsus said:

The third and fourth bend looked absolutely fine.  The first and second bend didn't look too bad on the inside.  Obviously where the deep stuff was it didn't look to clever, but that's where rider options come into play.

That track could have been sorted in 30 minutes.

It was definitely not fixable. Obviously looked a bit better behind a computer screen than it actually was. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

It was definitely not fixable. Obviously looked a bit better behind a computer screen than it actually was. 

Aye,,, but it's still left a BIG carbon footprint :nono:

2 hours ago, idanthyrsus said:

And it's abandoned...

So, do i get the re-staging free on the live stream?

I can't help but think this could have been avoided.  The track staff were using leaf blowers to try and get the water off the track???  Why not just put some shale down, soak up the water and then scrape it off the top.  Add some more dry shale on the top and the jobs a good 'un.  Would take 30 minutes (about what it took anyway) and then the track would have been perfect and the second shower would have just added some water to the track to make it better.

Listening to the referee.  Bloody health and safety....

You’ll get an email from the club with refund options etc 

re the track sadly wasn’t really salvageable spoke to a couple of the riders after and the main issue was the volume of rain that had fallen in such a short time meant it had soaked through to the base so even scraping it off would just have left a ice rink underneath.

The hope was getting rid of the excess water on the surface would allow to continue but the running of heat 2 the riders didn’t fancy it (can’t blame them) and when it started raining again as the captains were discussing with the ref that was always gonna be that 

4 hours ago, idanthyrsus said:

I remember the commentator from a video of Edinburgh v Newcastle in 1992 I think.  He's absolutely dreadful :)

Jack Smith's bike packs up - the comment is "Jack's stopped", then Jacob Hook's bike packs up and it's "oh dear, oh dear.  And that's so unlucky"

In the 1992 commentary, Paul Bentley got wiped out by an Edinburgh rider and the commentator said "and it's the monarch out again, sometimes I wonder what the referees are watching"

The commentator did say he was too blind to see the big screen.  I wonder if he is to blind to see the first bend ;)

Must have been mr hunter:t:

6 hours ago, idanthyrsus said:

I remember the commentator from a video of Edinburgh v Newcastle in 1992 I think.  He's absolutely dreadful :)

Jack Smith's bike packs up - the comment is "Jack's stopped", then Jacob Hook's bike packs up and it's "oh dear, oh dear.  And that's so unlucky"

In the 1992 commentary, Paul Bentley got wiped out by an Edinburgh rider and the commentator said "and it's the monarch out again, sometimes I wonder what the referees are watching"

The commentator did say he was too blind to see the big screen.  I wonder if he is to blind to see the first bend ;)

On various videos I watched years ago from Edinburgh, I always remember the commentator being so biased it was unreal. Any time a home rider was passed or beaten, there was always a "valid"excuse.

• Like 2

Well done Monarchs :)

From the website:

"Although an abandonment after the completion of any racing would usually trigger British Speedway's readmission top-up policy, the Club has opted to allow the reuse of tickets at no additional cost."

• Like 5

On 6/11/2022 at 3:21 AM, Pinny said:

On various videos I watched years ago from Edinburgh, I always remember the commentator being so biased it was unreal. Any time a home rider was passed or beaten, there was always a "valid"excuse.

I went to a match recently where the updates were from the club twitter feed. If a visitor locked up it was a brilliant pass by the home rider, reverse the roles and the home rider was unlucky.

Similarly exclusion of home rider was 'controversial'. (No it wasn't) while non-exclusion of home rider for obvious offence didn't even warrant a mention.

Maybe should have got a loan deal sorted out for the Glasgow track staff and all would have been well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Maybe should have got a loan deal sorted out for the Glasgow track staff and all would have been well.

Yeah and the meeting could've got underway about 10pm:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1