British Speedway Forum
justathought

Newcastle v Leicester 12th June 2022

1 minute ago, TTT said:

Crowd about to erupt like a volcano going by the Updates.

Grant is a disgrace to Speedway. This is all on him for mickey taking.

Rob Grant has the best of intentions and put his money where his mouth was, unlike most people on here. Unfortunately for Newcastle supporters he saved the club from extinction but doesn't have the knowledge or the skillset in how to run a speedway business

• Like 4

Just now, enotian said:

If there are more heatleaders available than team places those going rates suddenly reduce if a rider wants a team place. Simple economics.  Obviously they won't ride to make a loss but will have more realistic terms or sit on the side lines and wait for a better paid opportunity. The top riders will go to the better teams on better terms which is fair but they wouldn't be able to sign three of them when there are only about 12 available across 11 teams. Fair enough if Newcastle then didn't offer sufficient terms they'd deserve the criticism but the question nobody can answer is who else were Newcastle supposed to sign when everyone else was offering better terms for the limited number of heat leaders available.

It obvious that Newcastle can’t afford to run Championship level if that is the case.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, enotian said:

If there are more heatleaders available than team places those going rates suddenly reduce if a rider wants a team place. Simple economics.  Obviously they won't ride to make a loss but will have more realistic terms or sit on the side lines and wait for a better paid opportunity. The top riders will go to the better teams on better terms which is fair but they wouldn't be able to sign three of them when there are only about 12 available across 11 teams. Fair enough if Newcastle then didn't offer sufficient terms they'd deserve the criticism but the question nobody can answer is who else were Newcastle supposed to sign when everyone else was offering better terms for the limited number of heat leaders available.

Newcastle have offered good terms to many riders, they have not been paying peanuts. They have just chosen monkeys

• Haha 1

Reading between the lines there would appear to have been options at the end of last season when Rob decided to shut but I think the crowds at the end of the season get the better of him and the income, there are riders out there and you have to pay for them, I read somewhere that we were supposed to have an investment of 50k at the beginning of the season where has that gone or was that just me imagining it 

Andy Smith always used to struggle on small tracks, his son looks even worse at this stage.

This Newcastle team is even worse than some of the Milton Keynes sides I recall seeing in the late 80s

• Like 1

The bates have said they wish Leicester could stop winning by so much it's costing them a fortune . And then you look at Newcastle and you have to think Jesus what a shambles. 

This is like watching the 2008 mildenhall team. Nowhere near competive. Really feel for the fans. 
bringing in jack smith is a complete waste of time. Even someone like victor pavlova would make a difference as it would push clegg into a reserve berth 

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

It obvious that Newcastle can’t afford to run Championship level if that is the case.

Whilst I think that is probably true the point is, if the authorities want an evenly matched league or even just want to maintain then number of teams in the league, then they needed to give each of the 11 teams the opportunity to sign competitive teams. By allowing two teams to sign half of the league number 1 heat leaders that was never going to happen. We just don't know how much money Rob Grant was offering heat leaders during the winter but given 2021 it was never going to be anyones first choice. 

Regardless of the standard of teams it just makes no business sense to have a scarce resource able to dictate terms in the pursuit of 'sporting greatness' or whatever winning the CL gives you.  From everyones perspective, apart from the riders, it makes entire sense to manufacture supply over demand as then everyone can benefit from the resulting more realistic terms.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, enotian said:

Whilst I think that is probably true the point is, if the authorities want an evenly matched league or even just want to maintain then number of teams in the league, then they needed to give each of the 11 teams the opportunity to sign competitive teams. By allowing two teams to sign half of the league number 1 heat leaders that was never going to happen. We just don't know how much money Rob Grant was offering heat leaders during the winter but given 2021 it was never going to be anyones first choice. 

Regardless of the standard of teams it just makes no business sense to have a scarce resource able to dictate terms in the pursuit of 'sporting greatness' or whatever winning the CL gives you.  From everyones perspective, apart from the riders, it makes entire sense to manufacture supply over demand as then everyone can benefit from the resulting more realistic terms.

Some of us DO know and believe me, Rob Grant has offered more money to League No. 1s than poole are paying any of theirs. This is not about being a cheapskate it's about picking poorly and not being an attractive proposition

If there is no major team changes I can't see the diamonds reaching the end of the season,they can't survive on the people who only go because they get in free. I could name names but I won't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, enotian said:

You should know by now that certain Promotions and BSPA only look after themselves.GB speedway is going down the tubes just to suit the riders and not the fans and nothing will change anytime soon.IMO.

In a sport with no credibility regarding structure how do they expect fan base to improve.Answers to the Chairman,see if you get a response.

• Like 5

NEWCASTLE HAVE WON A RACE . CHANTS OF WERE GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE! I love the humour from them fair play

• Haha 1

I am please however to see Jason Edwards going so well, had Arena Essex not gone, I am sure he would be riding for us still.