British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scoobydoo

Panthers v Tigers 13/06/22

Here s a thought. If we don t want draws at speedway meeting s we could have a super heat after every 3/3 drawn heat .

that would add to the excitement surely.

Must say anything that adds excitement is good for me. It's got people talking also 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Individual meetings have to produce a winner, that's why they have run-offs or finals.

If a draw in a league match isn't tense or exciting, then we might as well not bother.

There is already a winner after 5 rides each. Maybe the odd run-off would be all that's needed but things move on. There's no point moaning about it as these are the rules for this year, embrace it. Two exciting races at the end, great stuff. Everyone knew a draw would see them get another chance. 

Edited by SPEEDY69

9 hours ago, BassoRacingFan said:

In cricket, they have a super over.

In NBA, they have overtime.

Kids don't like seeing draws. Speedway is modernising.

Not in league matches they Don't.Complete balls up imo.I thought the last few years they had got the points system spot on.Rewarding the away team for getting close to the home team or getting a draw or win.Now they have turned a good system into a poor one rewarding(possibly)the home team for getting a draw.

I see many Peterborough fans seem to like it,maybe when the tables are turned they may change their minds.Many neutrals I would say are against it.

• Like 3

Quality meeting last night, and fair play to both sets of riders for putting on one hell of a show! The Superheat definately made things more interesting...

The Panthers were due some luck, and for their sake, I do hope last night was the turning point for them.

Idk if the two Panthers fans that sat next to me will see this - but if you do - thankyou for being true gents and being very welcoming and a right laugh all evening

10 hours ago, BassoRacingFan said:

In cricket, they have a super over.

In NBA, they have overtime.

Kids don't like seeing draws. Speedway is modernising.

That's a terrifying thought to 90% of speedway fans. Most of them are still peed off that Barry Briggs has retired and they've stopped selling dandelion and burdock.:rofl: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, r8gdp said:

Here s a thought. If we don t want draws at speedway meeting s we could have a super heat after every 3/3 drawn heat .

that would add to the excitement surely.

If we don't want draws, use the scoring system from the pairs. You never have a drawn heat & it should also encourage team riding.

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Not in league matches they Don't.Complete balls up imo.I thought the last few years they had got the points system spot on.Rewarding the away team for getting close to the home team or getting a draw or win.Now they have turned a good system into a poor one rewarding(possibly)the home team for getting a draw.

I see many Peterborough fans seem to like it,maybe when the tables are turned they may change their minds.Many neutrals I would say are against it.

I think it’s unnecessary, never liked the 4/3/2/0 scoring system either, glad we won and got some points but I don’t see an issue with a drawn meeting. Think a lot of old school fans will say it’s pointless and unnecessary where as maybe new younger fans might see it as a better idea, I’m on the fence but more leaning towards it’s pointless doing it and should be scrapped 

1 hour ago, wtf said:

That's a terrifying thought to 90% of speedway fans. Most of them are still peed off that Barry Briggs has retired and they've stopped selling dandelion and burdock.:rofl: 

In cricket they have a super over to decide the outcome of a knock-out competition..

In the NBA they have 5 mins of overtime, and repeat the 5 minute periods until a team has more points (they don't introduce a different scoring system).

As with many BSPA/L decisions, it's poorly thought out, and cheap.

If British Speedway wants to modernise, it needs to do a darn sight more than tinker with the regulations ...

10 hours ago, Col said:

Football only have penalty shoot outs in finals.  Rugby codes are happy with draws.  Ice Hockey have a way to do it that works.  Nothing wrong with a 45-45 in speedway.  In 1989 Cradley drew with Belle Vue as a teenage Joe Screen ran rampant at Dudley Wood, never been so happy with a draw!

Winning a last heat decider which is no more than this was essentially is always a buzz.

Agreed.

It isn't.

Penalty shoot outs in finals only? That's not correct. 

27 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Penalty shoot outs in finals only? That's not correct. 

There are penalty shoot-outs during rounds of cup matches,but you won't find any in league matches.

2 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

You got to see an extra heat with quality riders. 

value for money I say 

Absolutely, but as with Play Offs there will always be two arguments, ie fairness v entertainment. Sheffield should really have gone home with two points and P'boro one but as you say an entertaining sixteenth heat is good for those who were there. I welcome new ideas but I can't see myself being convinced by this one.

Super Heat is a great idea imo.

Extra race, extra drama at no extra cost = WIN WIN WIN