British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Having not raced Harris does blur the issue, it's true. The way I saw it was Harris didn't beat either Bewley or Brennen so Brennen takes it, but it is not totally clear cut.

Personally, I reckon they had time to make a quick decision to have a 3 man run off with Bewley, Brennen and Harris to decide the winner. The track still seemed raceable for a short while.

Yeah, but Harris beat Worrall, and Worrall beat Brennan. But then Brennan beat Nicholls and Harris didn't, it could go on forever.

Couldn't agree more about the run-off, though. Would have been the perfect outcome, but I suspect the riders spent so long arguing over it in that little room that the track soon become too wet and it couldn't happen.

3 minutes ago, baiden said:

Yeah, but Harris beat Worrall, and Worrall beat Brennan. But then Brennan beat Nicholls and Harris didn't, it could go on forever.

Couldn't agree more about the run-off, though. Would have been the perfect outcome, but I suspect the riders spent so long arguing over it in that little room that the track soon become too wet and it couldn't happen.

It would just be countback between the 3. Anyone else is irrelevant.

For me, in terms of hierarchy, it would go Brennen over Bewley, with Harris third having not raced either (through no fault of his own), but I admit it would be contentious. That just seems the logical order in my mind.

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

For me, in terms of hierarchy, it would go Brennen over Bewley, with Harris third having not raced either (through no fault of his own), but I admit it would be contentious. That just seems the logical order in my mind.

So you're saying Chris Harris would have finished THIRD because didn't race either of them? I've heard it all now.

59 minutes ago, tocha said:

Or keep the final before he Cardiff GP then have a run-off over 3 heats between the winner of this year's re-staging and the winner in 2023.

Much easier after Cardiff, to many coming up with ifs and buts as long as this year's winner rightly gets his place next year then it carrys on like tht all is good 

Edited by mc131

6 minutes ago, Grachan said:

This seems the opposite of logical to me. You say Harris never beat any of the other two, but at the same time he was also unbeaten by the other two riders. To make a decision based on Hierarchy would have been a impossible and an awful idea.

I don't agree with Ellis being given the wildcard, but I do understand the logic in a situation where there was no ideal solution. GPs are supposed to showcase the very best riders in the world, with the wildcard being the best rider from the staging country who is not already in the GPs. The solution of giving it to Ellis was fair to him, but as a paying punter I want to see the best rider on this years form, not the best from last year. 

This all comes down to poor planning. Why was an event like this held so close to the GP with no plan B? A conversation in the changing rooms after the very likely event of a rain off isn't good enough!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, baiden said:

So you're saying Chris Harris would have finished THIRD because didn't race either of them? I've heard it all now.

In my own head, yes, although I did say it was contentious. It's based purely on my own gut.

If you look through the football way of deciding equal positions, however, you would probably have to go down to the rule which says it would be decided on ranking, so that would probably be Bewley, Harris, Brennen, which puts none of the three in the same position that I did!

Anyway, congratulations on now having heard everything. It must be quite a big day for you.

Not the ideal outcome , but probably the best that could be done in the circumstances. Scandalous to have  go at Ellis  hardly his fault.  

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, baiden said:

Adam Ellis has literally got the fourth highest average of all British riders in the Premiership this season (Premiership and League Cup only). Now, while I'm not sure he's 'deserving' of the wildcard spot based on his performance last night, it's hardly an outrage that he's got it - plus at just 26 he's hardly over the hill.

1. Chris Harris (8.43)
  2. Steve Worrall (8.05)
  3. Charles Wright (7.95)
  4. Adam Ellis (7.78)
  5. Richie Worrall (7.22)

If you use all 2022 Prem level meetings (exc bonus pts) Ellis is second to Harris. (Followed by St Worrall, Ch Wright and King)

• Thanks 1

It could have been good television to have the three riders racing at Cardiff in the afternoon for the British Title - maybe over three heats with each having different starting positions for fairness.  The winner (if not Bewley) would go into the GP and the other would go home.  At least they can say that they had a chance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyPresley said:

This seems the opposite of logical to me. You say Harris never beat any of the other two, but at the same time he was also unbeaten by the other two riders. To make a decision based on Hierarchy would have been a impossible and an awful idea.

I don't agree with Ellis being given the wildcard, but I do understand the logic in a situation where there was no ideal solution. GPs are supposed to showcase the very best riders in the world, with the wildcard being the best rider from the staging country who is not already in the GPs. The solution of giving it to Ellis was fair to him, but as a paying punter I want to see the best rider on this years form, not the best from last year. 

This all comes down to poor planning. Why was an event like this held so close to the GP with no plan B? A conversation in the changing rooms after the very likely event of a rain off isn't good enough!

Very Good Post Sir..let's be honest no matter who they gave the wildcard to someone was going to be upset and fans banging the van so to speak. As you put it  the poor post planning has left themselves get into this mess.

• Like 3

Easy for me to say in hindsight but maybe a statement before the final could have been put out saying "Adam Ellis will be the wild card for this year due to the COVID situation last year, wild card resumes next year for the winner of the 2023 final."

I'll get me coat...

Fingers crossed no injuries happen to Adam between now & Cardiff, but if any did then technically Charles Wright would be the wild card! 
Ellis first, Bewley second, Wright third in 2021. 
How bizarre would that be. 

5 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Has it officially been said that the winner of the rearranged British final will not be wildcard for next year's GP?

As long as they arrange next year's British final for a date after the GP and the winner qualifies for the next one does it matter? 

Yes it does matter. Ellis was on fire last year and won the meeting, if no covid he would have been at Cardiff 2021. 12 months later he is not so hot, he could be a disaster at Cardiff. I hope not, but he could.  So to say 2022 British champ will go to Cardiff in 2023 certainly is not ok. The decision makers last night have just postponed the problem 12 months. Will they sort it out between now and this time next year. No.

18 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Yes it does matter. Ellis was on fire last year and won the meeting, if no covid he would have been at Cardiff 2021. 12 months later he is not so hot, he could be a disaster at Cardiff. I hope not, but he could.  So to say 2022 British champ will go to Cardiff in 2023 certainly is not ok. The decision makers last night have just postponed the problem 12 months. Will they sort it out between now and this time next year. No.

But the field for the 2023 GP series is decided in 2022 so what's the difference? If the Cardiff GP had been in its normal June to early July slot it would have been done by now. 

Surely it's better to have the British final at the end of the domestic season giving an option to rearrange if weather intervenes rather than so close to the GP but event shouldn't just be about a wildcard place in a GP anyway. 

In a perfectly perfect World couldn't we have the re-staging of the British Final the night before Cardiff, it would solve alot of arguing.

• Haha 1