British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Rewarding failure sums it up. Last year they knew what the outcome would be. It is all about doing the right thing and clearly you are one of those who goes along with the thoughts that some parents have who feel deprived on school sports day when despite the offspring coming last they deserve the same as the winner

If you want to make the rules up on the hoof, at least have the decency to tell those who may score points what the rules are before they go chasing an impossible win. I wonder how many would have rode as hard and chased points if they had known this was a possible outcome. Have the decency to state that in the event of the meeting not be completed it does not matter what you score last year’s winner will go through to the GP in the event of riders having equal number of points on the board.

Still that does not justify giving it to a rider who failed to make any impact on the night the wild card.Even if you take the rider averages he does not deserve it and if he was any sort of genuine sports competitor he would have declined. But no he did the dishonourable thing and as a result Chris, Dan Scott and others have been screwed. Why would any of the scorers bother competing now. Who knows what result would be if it was rained off again.

No wonder speedway is not considered a credible sport in the U.K. I suspect if this had been in Poland, all riders would have been called back to complete or restart the meeting this evening. Those who could not make it would be replaced.

He doesn’t deserve it and is not a genuine competitor …. yet 8 days previously he rode to a 4 ride maximum in the European pairs semi final while Chris Harris only scored 4, being replaced in two of his rides. 

You really have some serious issues to bring up school sports days and parenting. I don’t make up the rules, I flew over to watch my son race. Nothing more, nothing less. 

if speedway isn’t considered a serious sport , maybe look at the kind of people that follow it and how unreasonable they can be when things don’t  go their way. ( clue, you’ll find him in the mirror) 

I’d love to discuss it more but you seem so angry and looking to blame Adam / me / anyone it would be a waste of time. I’ve met some great people in speedway. I’ve also me some idiots who spend so much time being so angry with everything it’s a waste of energy trying to engage.   guess which ones I don’t waste time on. 

• Like 8

All the arguing on here about no rule being in place and fair to have a run of between Bewley Harris and Brennan - they hadn't met each other so that would not be a fair outcome at all. Harris had only met Nicholls out of the top five and he'd lost to him.

The rules were in place and clear, to declare a result a ballot should have taken place between the three highest scores at that point. This is what the riders objected to and the BSP caved in. Deapite that, I think a restaging is the fairest result though. 

Absolute farce...speedway continues to shoot itself in the foot by making stupid decisions. Should have been 12 heats and then finals..rather than brainstorming up that crap after 1 hour...disgraceful and if this was in Poland there would have been a riot and what's the betting Eurosport don't show the restaging!?

6 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

All the arguing on here about no rule being in place and fair to have a run of between Bewley Harris and Brennan - they hadn't met each other so that would not be a fair outcome at all. Harris had only met Nicholls out of the top five and he'd lost to him.

The rules were in place and clear, to declare a result a ballot should have taken place between the three highest scores at that point. This is what the riders objected to and the BSP caved in. Deapite that, I think a restaging is the fairest result though. 

Why would that have been fair . Not every rider had ridden v each other had the same gates etc etc..The meeting was  quite righty declared  null and void so people need to stop going on about who scored  what as it's has zero bearing on  the picking of  the wildcard.. 

• Like 5

The meeting shouldn't be called null and void, the result should stand as in a league match called after ht.10. The losing team don't say '''We could have won this match'' then declare it null and void. The result stands. If as the rules say draw a ballot, then so be it, not the best solution, but that's in the rules. Or a fairer way would be to have a race off before practice at Cardiff, winner gets the wild card, the loser a reserve spot. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, redlead said:

The meeting shouldn't be called null and void, the result should stand as in a league match called after ht.10. The losing team don't say '''We could have won this match'' then declare it null and void. The result stands. If as the rules say draw a ballot, then so be it, not the best solution, but that's in the rules. Or a fairer way would be to have a race off before practice at Cardiff, winner gets the wild card, the loser a reserve spot. 

Incorrect. The result only stands IF a re-run can't be staged. Most promoters don't bother re-staging a league match if it reaches heat 10 (for obvious reasons), but the British Final can be re-staged, so the result of Monday becomes null and void.

'someone' (literally) posted the regulations yesterday, but here's the link again: http://www.scbgb.co.uk/regulations

• Like 2

You'd think Ellis was a Championship reserve who somehow fluked his title last year reading some of the comments on here. Okay so he's not been quite as good as last season but he's still got the 3rd highest average amongst British riders in the Premiership and qualified for the European Championship. 

And maybe worth remembering 2013. Nicholls finished runner-up to Woffinden in the British Final. Harris (3rd) got the wildcard instead. I'm a Harris fan and wanted him to win this meeting but I don't really see that he's in much of a position to complain given the chances he's had previously. Brennan's time will come. He's been unfortunate to miss over a year of development through Covid and injury but you can see the progress he's making. Hopefully he'll be given the 1st reserve position, get a couple of rides and I'm sure he'll get the wildcard sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

I was there Monday, not that that matters and have now had time to think about this.

Should a contingency have been in place?  Of course it should, but it wasn't!!  Should the result stand? No of course not. 3 rides in and obviously some riders had an easier

3 rides than others.  Should Adam get the wild card? On Mondays showing, then no, but Monday is a one off meeting that didn't finish.  I think he's the only fair choice

having missed out last year.  He had a poor 3 (2 really) rides for sure, but it can happen to any rider.

Let's get behind him and let him have his big day with the support of the nation.   Good luck to him. :t:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

You'd think Ellis was a Championship reserve who somehow fluked his title last year reading some of the comments on here. Okay so he's not been quite as good as last season but he's still got the 3rd highest average amongst British riders in the Premiership and qualified for the European Championship. 

And maybe worth remembering 2013. Nicholls finished runner-up to Woffinden in the British Final. Harris (3rd) got the wildcard instead. I'm a Harris fan and wanted him to win this meeting but I don't really see that he's in much of a position to complain given the chances he's had previously. Brennan's time will come. He's been unfortunate to miss over a year of development through Covid and injury but you can see the progress he's making. Hopefully he'll be given the 1st reserve position, get a couple of rides and I'm sure he'll get the wildcard sooner rather than later. 

Tom Brennan is first reserve, alongside Leon Flint

• Like 2

The logic behind Ellis getting the wildcard is one that I agree with. But at same time. Ellis knew that when he won the final the wildcard wasn’t up for grabs. 

I may be biased but I do think Brennan should have got it but only because I’d like to see the best YOUNG riders Do the wildcard. 

also it seems the wildcard is more important that becoming British champ. 

the wildcard situation as taken the gloss off being champion. It’s time we stop this wildcard nonsense. And make it all about the British final ONLY. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

The logic behind Ellis getting the wildcard is one that I agree with. But at same time. Ellis knew that when he won the final the wildcard wasn’t up for grabs. 

I may be biased but I do think Brennan should have got it but only because I’d like to see the best YOUNG riders Do the wildcard. 

also it seems the wildcard is more important that becoming British champ. 

the wildcard situation as taken the gloss off being champion. It’s time we stop this wildcard nonsense. And make it all about the British final ONLY. 

I agree it should be about being British Champion.   

Maybe, there should be an Open meeting to select the Wildcard.  This could be for riders riding in the Premiership/Championship (Non GP riders only).

Any Nationality could enter but must be riding in the UK.  Winner goes to Cardiff.  A bit of an incentive to ride over here.  I suppose it would have to be a British rider if we had no riders in the GP?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

.......also it seems the wildcard is more important that becoming British champ. 

IMO it is the other way round.

The British Final lost a lot of its importance and interest from the average fan when it stopped being on the route to the World Final. Ok, you still became British Champion (the best of British???) but so what?. We did see riders dropping out for little or no reason. The added incentive of going to Cardiff restored some of the interest for the average fan but increased the incentive for riders massively. The chance to ride in your home GP in the caldron that is The Principality Stadium when you're riding well is surely one, most riders find exciting.

To split these two endeavours into two meetings would leave the British Final even less meaningful than it was before.

• Like 3

Last night a new British Champion was crowned - I say give him the wildcard.

Step forward Jason Edwards, 2022 NORA British Champion on the Isle of Wight last night.

• Like 1

How about a rule change for 2023. To be considered to be selected you must ride for a British Club.   

Controversial yes but it will give the riders who race in the U.K  regular more of a chance to be considered then the riders

who to choose to ride only on the continent and claim not to be asked to ride.

• Like 1