British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilTheAce

6 team league

Obviously I can only comment on belle vues fixtures but I should imagine it will be the same for all clubs. Well it will be. 

We have yet again having to wait 3 weeks for our next home match. 
we have already had a previous 3 week wait and X2 2 week breaks. 

for some less is better. For others less is not. Myself prefers regularl fixtures. It’s so easy to stop going after a few weeks break when you have not missed it. 

man’s when you return it’s the same team you faces 3 matches ago. 

we kind of accepted the 6 team league last year thinking it was a one off. But not now. It’s unacceptable to have 6 teams and this can’t carry on next year. 

if no clubs are willing to move up then they need 1 league or shortens the season by starting late April/early may and cutting the season short. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

Obviously I can only comment on belle vues fixtures but I should imagine it will be the same for all clubs. Well it will be. 

for some less is better. For others less is not. Myself prefers regularl fixtures. It’s so easy to stop going after a few weeks break when you have not missed it. 

we kind of accepted the 6 team league last year thinking it was a one off. But not now. It’s unacceptable to have 6 teams and this can’t carry on next year. 

if no clubs are willing to move up then they need 1 league or shortens the season by starting late April/early may and cutting the season short. 

I absolutely agree. Waiting 3 weeks between matches is a ridiculous state of affairs, but I'm afraid until some of the ghost tracks like Swindon, Coventry, Workington, etc can be coaxed back into existence, there's no workable solution in sight. What happens in British speedway seems to be controlled in Poland and, that places a straitjacket on British promoters. There is just so much that needs to change.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

And this is why when Matt Ford asked the fans what league to be in I didn't say this one. I remember one season seeing Swindon at Poole 4 times!!

So at the moment if I wanna see Berwick at Poole for example you have to go otherwise they might not be back down again. Whereas if you wanna see say Sheffield at BV you'll have a few to pick from! 

• Like 3

To me two leagues of more even numbers with promotion / relegation would be better.  That plus less guests and doubling up of riders I'd start to take it more seriously as a competitive team sport rather than just enjoying the racing as a series of one off matches which is my current mind set with speedway.

A shortened season to try to avoid the worst of the weather issues at each end of the season would help - its no fun freezing at the early and late season matches, turns it into an endurance test not an appealing evening out that will attract new fans.  More even numbers of teams  in each league would also allow for more scope to rearrange any matches that do have to be abandoned.  

Racing every week across an extended season to accommodate all teams in one league is going to get too expensive for some fans to attend all or even most matches, and although more fixtures allows us to pick and choose which to attend, thats probably not great for the club as they will have low crowd numbers for some matches and make a loss (or more of a loss than usual) on those.

One league would sort out the doubling up issue, but as two of the reasons given for that is lack of riders and riders not able to make a living from just one club, would it work in practice?  Both problems causing the doubling up would need resolving.

18 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

And this is why when Matt Ford asked the fans what league to be in I didn't say this one. I remember one season seeing Swindon at Poole 4 times!!

So at the moment if I wanna see Berwick at Poole for example you have to go otherwise they might not be back down again. Whereas if you wanna see say Sheffield at BV you'll have a few to pick from! 

Oh for the good old days like 1991 when Reading and Poole met 13 times.

• Like 2

It was a six team league that killed the National league in the early sixties,and paved the way for an amalgamation with the Provincial league in 1965 to form the British league,which brought about a golden era in British speedway.As I see it,the only way to save speedway in Britain is for the same to happen again.Some will say there are not enough quality riders for one league,but many of the Provincial league riders were hardly household names,yet many developed into top riders.I know that in the sixties and seventies,most riders had other jobs,but maybe that's the way it will have to be again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhilTheAce said:

The Premiership League fixtures didn't start til May!!!

39 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The Premiership League fixtures didn't start til May!!!

No. But the cup fixtures was before hand. They gave you a taste of the action and then a big break till the league starts. 

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Oh for the good old days like 1991 when Reading and Poole met 13 times.

Was it just them in the league??! ;)

When Rye house went ‘Elite’ once the novelty of ‘bigger’ names had worn off the racing wasn’t any better than the old Premiership.

And as has been said, the same teams and lack of meetings plus no more Saturdays killed it!

CVS did mention at pre season talk in that he was confident at least 2 more teams would be in top premiership 2023.

35 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

CVS did mention at pre season talk in that he was confident at least 2 more teams would be in top premiership 2023.

I'd say that would be the maximum! Realistically who is it going to be? Won't be Poole. Oxford possibly as they wanted to be in the Prem this year. Also have to look at Leicester and Glasgow. Leicester a good possibility but then are they going to want to move away from Saturday's to a Monday or Thursday? Same with Glasgow and Friday's? Race nights do seem to be massive stumbling block.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

I'd say that would be the maximum! Realistically who is it going to be? Won't be Poole. Oxford possibly as they wanted to be in the Prem this year. Also have to look at Leicester and Glasgow. Leicester a good possibility but then are they going to want to move away from Saturday's to a Monday or Thursday? Same with Glasgow and Friday's? Race nights do seem to be massive stumbling block.

Feel it could be Oxford and Glasgow especially if they loose the Edinburgh local derby matches.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

I think it would have to be a serious restructuring with a bit more flexibility on race nights. The main issue for me is that so many riders are now used to two incomes and a bigger Prem with a lower standard Chapighy struggle to work. It's going to be a very difficult circle to square but both leagues aren't really working at the moment for different reasons and it needs sorting out somehow. Not easy.

• Like 1