British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

Danny's Day ==Mildenhall Sun 19 June at Mildenhall

MILDENHALL --- SUNDAY 19th JUNE AT 2PM

The Danny Ayres Memorial meeting at Mildenhall on Sunday June 19th ---first race 2pm with gates open 12.30 – has attracted a good line-up of riders willing to take part in memory of speedway’s No. 1 showman.

Danny’s day, as the meeting has been dubbed, will have 29 races split into the main meeting of 16 riders over 20 heats with a semi final and a Grand Final plus a mini-meeting of two teams of 4 rides racing over 6 heats then a Grand Final for the top two scorers from each side.

Confirmed riders are : Danny King, Richard Lawson, James Shanes, Ben Barker, Ben Morley, Max Clegg, Alfie Bowtell, Connor Coles, Connor Mountain, Cam Heeps, Zaine Kennedy, Jacob Hook, Kye Thomsen, James Wright, George Congreve in the main meeting.

In the mini meeting confirmed are Nathan Stoneman , Sam Beebee, Alex Spooner, Luke Muff, Jack Kingston, Connor King, Jack Kingston and Nick Laurence.

There will be children’s entertainment including face painting, cartoon characters and mascots plus a magician with sweet stalls from gate opening time.

The pits are open to the public from 12.30 until 1.20 with a track walk with the riders and referee at 1.15 with a £10 charge to join in with this. The bikes will be warmed up at 1.30 and the parade of riders with mascots ( available for £40 ) at 1.45 then heat 1 at 2pm.

There will be centre green experience groups throughout the meeting allowing participants to witness racing from the middle and the cost of this is £ 10 .

The main meeting is kindly sponsored by Glasgow Tigers Speedway and Allied Vehicles.

Teng Tools have donated a tool kit worth £300 which will be presented to the rider chosen as the most entertaining of the meeting with other prizes awarded to the best wheelie and best doughnut !

It is aimed at being a family fun day and local radio station GenX Radio have confirmed as the media partners for Danny’s Day and will have a presence at the meeting giving out stickers and producing their show that afternoon from the stadium and promoting mental awareness.

There is the chance for one fan to be the referee’s assistant for the day and start a race. Bids for this can be sent in to the e-mail addresses and the highest bidder will take the prize.

The race jackets worn by each rider in both parts of the meeting will be signed and auctioned off after the meeting raising funds towards the futures of Danny’s two children. There will also be other speedway items in the auction , some donated by riders unable to make the meeting to ride…..so fans bring your piggy banks with you !!

Well known ex-riders are being invited to be in attendance and will be interviewed during the meeting and be available for photos and autographs.

Admission is £20 adults, £15 concessions with under 16’s free and can be paid n cash at the turnstiles. Advanced tickets can be ordered on trybooking under the ref: 

https://www.trybooking.co.uk/BPDD        

A 44 page souvenir programme is being produced for the event and will be on sale at £5 inside the stadium.

All in all this should be a meeting not to miss and a great day out whilst remembering Danny and raising funds for the futures of his two girls .

Edited by Speedway fan
  • Like 2

Hope this gets a great turnout for danny. Last of the showmen and a great guy to boot

Best wishes to everyone involved in Danny`s meeting, hopefully the weather behaves and there is a bumper crowd.

Great  racing , some nice action, pity about the presentation 29 races took over 3 hours.

Slow, ponderous track grading the racing was  the only thing that kept me there.

How can you water the track then have to wait for it to dry out before you can continue.

Talking to the people around me this is way it's run every week. An insult to travelling supporters,  won't be going again.

Meeting closed at 18.06 (after the final race was awarded despite 2 laps not having been completed)!

So 4 hours 6 minutes after advertised start time.

Enjoyable to watch a higher standard of riders round West Row yesterday. It was great to see them attack the track as it should be, a lesson to the junior riders who ride with trepidation around the track. 

Really enjoyed the efforts of Kye Thomson and Zaine Kennedy. Albeit against not the highest standard of riders, I really liked Thomson’s style and aggression. Just didn’t quite get the line he needed in the semi final and missed out. Kennedy made some great moves throughout and was also unlucky not to make the final.

Great to see Connor Mountain back at West Row and see all the progress he’s made. I also thought Connor Coles had improved significantly, with a more aggressive racing style.

As expected, Lawson, King and Heeps were strong and a worthy top three. Fair play to all the riders who gave it a real good go and whilst there wasn’t huge amounts of passing, the racing was generally tight. 

To end on a negative, the length of the meeting was highly frustrating. I can understand a meeting of this nature taking longer, everyone understands that but it was far too drawn out. A half hour delay until the first race just isn’t right.

I don’t intend on visiting Mildenhall very often as this seems to be a constant issue and has been on the times I’ve ventured over in recent years.

I rarely attend mildenhall anymore because it always takes forever to complete meetings. I went Sunday to support a great cause but left after 16 heats as it was dragging on. 
four hours and 6 minutes is unacceptable to complete a meeting. If they could complete a regular meeting in 90 minutes I’d probably attend but they never do. And that seems to be the same under numerous promotions at mildenhall. 

• Like 1