Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Plymouth Gladiators 22 June

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

If I've read it right he meant after is exclusion, and therefore winning the final race to get a draw.

It would be good to see a video clip of the incident as most people agree that Richard Lawson isn't that type of rider at all.

It's not a stunt though is it, its perfectly within the rules  :blink:

Spot on :t:

Yes, he definitely was talking about H15! Mike is getting a bit over excited about the situation. 

23 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

Two things;

1) You called Lawson a gating tart which is something he most definately isn't and never has been and

2) You inferred Lawson cannot pass without knocking other riders off, something he proved he could do a number of other times during the same meeting.

Sorry, but in my eyes the above unfortunately proves your post was 'clueless'.

Everyone in The Cumbria Speedway fraternity knows he's a tart, and a gating tart B)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

Two things;

1) You called Lawson a gating tart which is something he most definately isn't and never has been and

2) You inferred Lawson cannot pass without knocking other riders off, something he proved he could do a number of other times during the same meeting.

Sorry, but in my eyes the above unfortunately proves your post was 'clueless'.

Have watched him ride since a junior,can count on one hand the number of times i saw him pass someone after the first lap,simple clueless question would u have been happy had another rider done the same to him?Right of shopping now can u tell me where i can buy a pair of those rose tinted classes u wear?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lawson won heat 15 without a steel shoe, and Kemp won heat 14 with a puncture

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, stevehone said:

Lawson won heat 15 without a steel shoe, and Kemp won heat 14 with a puncture

Thanks Steve - finally someone has given some facts.

I've already given my congrats to Plymouth last night when I got in from the meeting.  Poole would surely have lost if MPT had been able to continue.

As to the referee, I think he gave dubious decisions to both teams last night.  As to the Lawson/MPT incident, from my position in the grandstand - which was pretty much directly full on to the riders as they come off turn 4 - MPT was already lifting and heading outwards when Lawson came under him.  Did they touch? yes slightly, but MPT was already out of control on his back wheel by then.

More to the point I really don't know why Danny King chose gates 1&3 to start with as he's gone 2&4 or deferred to heat 15 virtually all season?! The track has had some excellent comments from various riders in recent weeks, but I'd be keen to hear what the riders thought last night? 

Anyway onwards and upwards - its the start of the Summer Trophy next month, so this will all add to the spice!!!!!;);):t:  You never know, Plymouth may actually compete with 7 of their own riders...................??

Edited by Skidder1

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

Double page spread in the local Echo today and online, with several photos.

Some excellent racing and lots of drama - I’m glad I wasn’t sat in the referee’s box! 

Clever by Danny King to lay his bike down in heat 15 when the Gladiators were in a winning position. King’s limp magically disappeared as soon as he got back to the pits. :rolleyes:

Overall, an enjoyable meeting but it took too long between heats with so many riders taking two on the trot. R/R, reserve swaps and tac subs might be beneficial to teams but they’re not beneficial to fans if it means a rider races two heats in a row and fans are twiddling their thumbs. More thought needs to go into getting the riders out and keeping the meeting flowing. Why didn’t the track staff have their tea break whilst MPT was sat on the track for 30 minutes rather than after it was announced he had withdrawn? I know the MPT incident added an extra half hour or so but you’re not going to retain fans (particularly kids) if the meeting takes 2.5+ hours to complete. 

Edited by pjplymouthdevil

Disappointed the riders never came round after heat 15 they deserved the applaud of the supporters last night.dont understand why that don't happen any more at Poole .we all don't want to go to press conference after the meeting 

23 minutes ago, pjplymouthdevil said:

Some excellent racing and lots of drama - I’m glad I wasn’t sat in the referee’s box! 

Clever by Danny King to lay his bike down in heat 15 when the Gladiators were in a winning position. King’s limp magically disappeared as soon as he got back to the pits. :rolleyes:

Overall, an enjoyable meeting but it took too long between heats with so many riders taking two on the trot. R/R, reserve swaps and tac subs might be beneficial to teams but they’re not beneficial to fans if it means a rider races two heats in a row and fans are twiddling their thumbs. More thought needs to go into getting the riders out and keeping the meeting flowing. Why didn’t the track staff have their tea break whilst MPT was sat on the track for 30 minutes rather than after it was announced he had withdrawn? I know the MPT incident added an extra half hour or so but you’re not going to retain fans (particularly kids) if the meeting takes 2.5+ hours to complete. 

Track staff didn't have tea break last night.

Were told to grab when they could whilst Palm Toft was being seen to.

As for meeting taking so long that was down to rr and reserve changes.

Was constantly being asked extra time needed.

The aim is to have meeting done and dusted between 9 and 9.30.

1 hour ago, sugarray said:

Track staff didn't have tea break last night.

Were told to grab when they could whilst Palm Toft was being seen to.

As for meeting taking so long that was down to rr and reserve changes.

Was constantly being asked extra time needed.

The aim is to have meeting done and dusted between 9 and 9.30.

The announcer said MPT had withdrawn and told the crowd there wouldn’t be a break after heat 7 so you’ve got 4 minutes to grab a bite to eat, at which point the track staff disappeared and came back with drinks. Maybe not a formal tea break but at the point it is known MPT couldn’t take part in the re-run, get the two minutes on and get going - we’ve already been waiting half an hour and don’t need another 5/10 minutes. 

56 minutes ago, pjplymouthdevil said:

The announcer said MPT had withdrawn and told the crowd there wouldn’t be a break after heat 7 so you’ve got 4 minutes to grab a bite to eat, at which point the track staff disappeared and came back with drinks. Maybe not a formal tea break but at the point it is known MPT couldn’t take part in the re-run, get the two minutes on and get going - we’ve already been waiting half an hour and don’t need another 5/10 minutes. 

If the paramedic had been available that would have happened but not allowed to carry on without the medical staff. 

We wanted the meeting finished as well.

Edited by sugarray

18 hours ago, ray c said:

Just a racing incident Richard was rightly excluded 

No he wasn’t rightly excluded

18 hours ago, HGould said:

Does a ref have scope to exclude a rider from a meeting for dangerous Riding if its clearly going to impact on the result of the meeting? 

For what? Hard but fair riding?

16 hours ago, poole keith said:

had good view of lawson taking out palm toft was a disgusting move,well done to gary may best manager in the league

Hard move granted and he ran Toft out wide. Toft has a throttle. No contact. In Poland Toft would have gone. 

I have only just caught up with last nights meeting on streaming as I was having a sensational evening at Ashton Gate watching Elton John along with 35,000 others. What a night. What a superstar. What a performance!

Quite a bit on controversy last night at Poole. Pirates starting very slowly again and this has to be tackled. Giving the opposition a head start again nearly always leads to failure. A trainee ref making a huge blunder in heat 8 cost Poole dearly. If a rider moves at the tapes but penalises themselves, for gods sake keep you finger off the button until they have got to the back straight before putting on the red lights. A 5-1 gets swapped with rolling rider winning it. 

Plymouth had the perfect guest in Howarth and I expected the worst in heat 15. But we’ll done to Lawson in seeing off the Andersen and Howarth with his steel shoe hanging off.

Here’s a clip of the crash. As can be seen, no contact although they get close. Palm Toft hits some dirt which throws him out to the fence.

So Shovlar thinks that for a rider to be excluded you have to make contact lol…

Thanks for the video clearly shows Lawson diving in hard and leaving MPT no room to do anything 

Lawson isn’t a dirty rider usually but he got this all wrong.

Why can’t Poole fans see things like everyone else admit Lawson should have been excluded and move on

Poole simply not strong enough this season if the 3 heat leaders don’t get at least 10 each they struggle 

Plymouth lost Barker and lost MPT in the meeting had a reserve that didn’t score so Poole couldn’t beat a 4 man team with their usual 1-7…. 

MPT unbeaten until Lawson took him out of the meeting and his next 3 rides accrued 2 points so Plymouth so unlucky not to win comfortably in the end

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1