British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Plymouth Gladiators 22 June

I disagree with Steve but I’m not getting into any more of an argument time to move on .if we all agreed on everything life would be very boring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No he wasn’t rightly excluded

For what? Hard but fair riding?

Hard move granted and he ran Toft out wide. Toft has a throttle. No contact. In Poland Toft would have gone. 

I have only just caught up with last nights meeting on streaming as I was having a sensational evening at Ashton Gate watching Elton John along with 35,000 others. What a night. What a superstar. What a performance!

Quite a bit on controversy last night at Poole. Pirates starting very slowly again and this has to be tackled. Giving the opposition a head start again nearly always leads to failure. A trainee ref making a huge blunder in heat 8 cost Poole dearly. If a rider moves at the tapes but penalises themselves, for gods sake keep you finger off the button until they have got to the back straight before putting on the red lights. A 5-1 gets swapped with rolling rider winning it. 

Plymouth had the perfect guest in Howarth and I expected the worst in heat 15. But we’ll done to Lawson in seeing off the Andersen and Howarth with his steel shoe hanging off.

Here’s a clip of the crash. As can be seen, no contact although they get close. Palm Toft hits some dirt which throws him out to the fence.

I think we will meet another 4 times this year …can’t wait .… 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Thanks Steve - finally someone has given some facts.

I've already given my congrats to Plymouth last night when I got in from the meeting.  Poole would surely have lost if MPT had been able to continue.

As to the referee, I think he gave dubious decisions to both teams last night.  As to the Lawson/MPT incident, from my position in the grandstand - which was pretty much directly full on to the riders as they come off turn 4 - MPT was already lifting and heading outwards when Lawson came under him.  Did they touch? yes slightly, but MPT was already out of control on his back wheel by then.

More to the point I really don't know why Danny King chose gates 1&3 to start with as he's gone 2&4 or deferred to heat 15 virtually all season?! The track has had some excellent comments from various riders in recent weeks, but I'd be keen to hear what the riders thought last night? 

Anyway onwards and upwards - its the start of the Summer Trophy next month, so this will all add to the spice!!!!!;);):t:  You never know, Plymouth may actually compete with 7 of their own riders...................??

There working on using Howarth as we speak :nono:

if the boot was on the other foot shovvy would be screaming blue murder ..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That looked 50/50 to me, Lawson was very hard and it looked like MPT had started to lift anyway but if you look where Lawson ends up I think there is every chance he would have cleaned Toft up anyway had he stood his ground. You could make a case fir either being turfed out.

I'm sure one thing we can all agree on is that if it had been MPT storming under a Poole rider like that the opinion of Shovvy would have been completely the opposite :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SouthernComet said:

Firstly, congratulations must go to Plymouth on their fine win,  sorry they didn't win did they....

In all seriousness, it would've been a comfortable away win if MPT hadn't had his accident. Although contact is minimal, if any at all, I don't have any real complaints about Lawson going. It is a hard move, not a dangerous move but a hard move that does cause MPT to come off. To those who are saying that its a disgraceful move from Lawson, then I don't believe this sport is for you...

Track was poor in my eyes. Not enough water put down before or during the meeting with dust appearing right from the beginning. 

Also, Bowtell giving it the big one to the main stand after Heat 14, only to be given third was a personal highlight. Especially after Heat 8. Even if I do feel he got second ahead of Cook.

Poole need changes I feel, I would have to do the maths and check the averages but a couple of changes such as Adam Ellis & Anders Rowe for Danny King & Nathan Ablitt wouldn't be the worst move in the world I feel. The Nathan experiment, whilst I understand why its being done, I feel would only work if every side in the league had a 2.00 at No 7. Both Ablitt & McGurk were comfortably behind on all occasions. Not miles off the pace but not really causing any problems.

Onto Berwick next week, only Bomber to deal with....Looking forward to seeing Knudsen ride, if he doesn't have Danish commitments that is.

Yes, let's sign riders who don't wanna be here. Great idea! :blink:

Why is everyone obsessed with signing Anders Rowe? He doesn't even want to ride in England! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For what its worth I think Pam-Toft saw Lawson coming and got into his own mess.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

So Shovlar thinks that for a rider to be excluded you have to make contact lol…

Thanks for the video clearly shows Lawson diving in hard and leaving MPT no room to do anything 

Lawson isn’t a dirty rider usually but he got this all wrong.

Why can’t Poole fans see things like everyone else admit Lawson should have been excluded and move on

Poole simply not strong enough this season if the 3 heat leaders don’t get at least 10 each they struggle 

Plymouth lost Barker and lost MPT in the meeting had a reserve that didn’t score so Poole couldn’t beat a 4 man team with their usual 1-7…. 

MPT unbeaten until Lawson took him out of the meeting and his next 3 rides accrued 2 points so Plymouth so unlucky not to win comfortably in the end

Most definitely Plymouth would have won if Palm Toft hadn't been ruled out of the meeting 

It was a hard move but no way was it deliberate foul riding.That was reminiscent of Harris’s move on Paul Starke at Glasgow when Plymouth were there.I thought Harris was hard done by but other thought differently.That’s Speedway.Speedy recovery to Palm Toft.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

Lawson to blame for me. Lawson comes in wayyy to hard, Tofty can see what's going to happen. Toft has 2 choices, 1,He comes off the throttle for a slit second and tries to get out of the way, which he did.. That caused the bike to straighten up for a split second, the bike grips and he's in the fence.  2. Keep screwed on and get obliterated in between Lawson and the fence.

It looks like his elbow might of caught Lawsons bike as wel. If there wasn't contact somewhere i'd be shocked. I'm sure Richard didn't mean it, but that crossed the line imho. Only one rider at fault there... And i'm a Stars fan...

Nice to read someone with the sence to look at that incident and call it spot on , if Toft hadnt of got out the way both riders would of tangled and gone full pelt into the fence and without doubt both ended up being injured , Lawson was carrying to much speed and as a result couldn't turn the bike obviously not meant but the right call was made .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthernComet said:

Firstly, congratulations must go to Plymouth on their fine win,  sorry they didn't win did they....

In all seriousness, it would've been a comfortable away win if MPT hadn't had his accident. Although contact is minimal, if any at all, I don't have any real complaints about Lawson going. It is a hard move, not a dangerous move but a hard move that does cause MPT to come off. To those who are saying that its a disgraceful move from Lawson, then I don't believe this sport is for you...

Track was poor in my eyes. Not enough water put down before or during the meeting with dust appearing right from the beginning. 

Also, Bowtell giving it the big one to the main stand after Heat 14, only to be given third was a personal highlight. Especially after Heat 8. Even if I do feel he got second ahead of Cook.

Poole need changes I feel, I would have to do the maths and check the averages but a couple of changes such as Adam Ellis & Anders Rowe for Danny King & Nathan Ablitt wouldn't be the worst move in the world I feel. The Nathan experiment, whilst I understand why its being done, I feel would only work if every side in the league had a 2.00 at No 7. Both Ablitt & McGurk were comfortably behind on all occasions. Not miles off the pace but not really causing any problems.

Onto Berwick next week, only Bomber to deal with....Looking forward to seeing Knudsen ride, if he doesn't have Danish commitments that is.

Are you for real?

Track was being watered all day but with a drying wind and hot weather it was hard to keep it in track.

The away team manager actually praised it as it wasn't as dusty as he expected.

26 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Nice to read someone with the sence to look at that incident and call it spot on , if Toft hadnt of got out the way both riders would of tangled and gone full pelt into the fence and without doubt both ended up being injured , Lawson was carrying to much speed and as a result couldn't turn the bike obviously not meant but the right call was made .

You were watching a different video than me then.Palm Toft was just unlucky he lifted.Like others have said he anticipated Lawson coming under him.Can see why the ref excluded Lawson though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You were watching a different video than me then.Palm Toft was just unlucky he lifted.Like others have said he anticipated Lawson coming under him.Can see why the ref excluded Lawson though.

I must have been watching the original video whilst you were watching the pirate copy !!

Edited by scoobydoo
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

Two things;

1) You called Lawson a gating tart which is something he most definately isn't and never has been and

2) You inferred Lawson cannot pass without knocking other riders off, something he proved he could do a number of other times during the same meeting.

Sorry, but in my eyes the above unfortunately proves your post was 'clueless'.

He's not known as Dickie The Gater to my friends and me because of his prowess at passing the opposition 

• Sad 1