British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

3 hours ago, soupy said:

Will I still be able to get into the greyhounds and just the speedway gone under?

What have the dogs got to do with speedway? Oh yes Granty used to be a trap boy. :blink:

• Like 1

Sadly predictable.  Doesn't help anybody.

The current promotion has lurched from one disaster to the next.  Be it lack of due diligence prior to the purchase, regularly putting together sub-standard teams, lack of engagement with the supporter base and frequent threats of closure.

When people have offered help, it would appear their offers have been ignored.  So when the real crunch comes then the promotion were on their own.

Sounds to me like they are cutting their losses now, so that the money in the club is not lost.  They aren't going bankrupt, they are liquidating the company in essence.  Which means they will get some of their money back once the liquidators have done their work.

Given some of the appalling decisions made by the BSPA in the last ten years I can't really see speedway generating enough interest in this country for Newcastle Speedway to make a comeback in the near future.  Given that the SGP series is popular and with Eurosport having league racing on the TV,  the conditions for success are better than they have ever been, yet the controlling body still can't get the setup correct.

This sorry debacle is a sad reflection on the sport in this country.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AndyPresley said:

I guess it all depends on what you do. Whilst you throw around your ignorant comments, many of us are more concerned about losing the club we have supported all our lives.

Don't rise to the clueless :icon_smile_clown:  He's been trolling the Poole threads for months and been put on 'ignore' by pretty much everyone.

Back on topic....it's a very sad day for Newcastle supporters and I sincerely hope somebody, somewhere, pops up to rescue the Diamonds.  Speedway in the UK is barely hanging on by a thread these days and we don't want any more clubs going the same way!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

Makes you laugh I’ve just seen a lorry parked up on the Gateshead side of the Tyne bridge advertising the speedway, horse and bolted springs to mind 

It's been there for quite awhile

We can all talk about what went on in the first year of the takeover with the vat and Covid but that’s not the reason it has come to this, Rob should have walked away last year when he announced it but he saw the crowds and the green eyed monster got the better of him,he put together a poor team and thought it would be okay so this is down to him and his management, the comment in the statement that riders did not want to come to Newcastle was solely down to him if you believe what you hear and that riders did not want to ride for him 

there was a lot of good will at the end of the season with moves afoot for people to come in and run the club but that has all been lost, I just hope those people would still be prepared to get involved and try and get it resurrected for this season

• Like 4

I seen to remember" keith denham" wanting to close down the comets but because of fines it was cheaper to carry on !

• Like 1

Any hope the stadium owners? May want to save the speedway team? Or will brough park turn into another shiny retail development/apartments/etc

im gutted about newcastle, probably write more later

Real sad news for Newcastle speedway and it's fans! Sympathy to them all, but I'm sure some newc fans won't miss their speedway fix with redcar, Berwick and the new workington track an hour or 2 away.

People in this thread need to realise that if you were losing thousands of £££ each week would it not affect your mental health!!...

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Such a shame. Is there anyone who is friendly with any of the Newcastle United FC staff, management or ex/current players?  It would be nothing more than pocket money to any of them to help out?!

1 hour ago, Winditon said:

Reuben brothers? They own Brough Park

More chance of someone knowing Ant & Dec and seeing if they can put a word in, they are locals. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Such a shame. Is there anyone who is friendly with any of the Newcastle United FC staff, management or ex/current players?  It would be nothing more than pocket money to any of them to help out?!

Actually that's not as fanciful as it sounds....with the pretty poor reception by many regarding NUFC takeover by Arabs it could be pretty decent PR on the club's part ,after all the Speedway is part of the Newcastle community as is the football club albeit in a much smaller scale 

• Like 1

Nobody likes to see a speedway club close down. I’ve seen my club go to the wall twice and it ain’t nice. 
It was always gonna be a struggle with the team that was put together. Just not competitive 

• Like 3