British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

11 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

Another problem with Glasgow moving up is the fixed race nights, we have a lot of kids that come on  Friday night with their parents , that would be a huge loss racing on a Monday or Thursday

Also, just not enough teams. It's not attractive as a fan.

I hope someone can bring Newcastle back. We needs teams opening, not closing, and having seen the Rockets close twice, I don't like seeing any team lost.

• Like 1

I'm really hoping the gentleman who was at South Gosforth club last year managed to find the 30 investors willing to put £1000 per year in to the CIC he was proposing as this could be the only option moving forward.  Heres hoping the lorry park is under construction ready to start the second phase... a new track etc... (crossing, fingers, toes, legs and everything in between)

Edited by Diamondgeezer2022
Update

THJ is the man with the connections, however he was royally p*issed off by the attitude of the current promotion, that killed his enthusiasm. Can he be talked around? 

• Like 1

Very sad to hear the news that  the Diamonds have pulled out of the league.

I have always enjoyed my trips to Tyneside and particularly to Brough Park. I have now got to cancel my easyJet flight on Sunday from Bristol Airport. :(

I was looking forward to seeing the Pirates taking on the Diamonds and catching up with Keith M and Tsunami .

Always had a friendly geordie welcome at Newcastle.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the loyal fans. I hope that a consortium  can be found to bring this proud club with over 90 years history back on track in 2023.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

THJ is the man with the connections, however he was royally p*issed off by the attitude of the current promotion, that killed his enthusiasm. Can he be talked around? 

A wouldn't have thought so?,,, however he might still help advise and with his connections, he maybe could put some feelers out about any resurrection?

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I really hope so too... but if it's anything like the Coventry fiasco they had years of warning yet did absolutely nothing about getting a new home. I fear Edinburgh & Peterborough will go the same way, although there is a dog track in Peterborough I understand

Sorry to say the dog track was run/owned by the Perkins family who decided a few years ago to close the Track and develop it, sorry for all the Newcastle fans lets hope there is a fairy godmother out there.

• Thanks 1

I can only say to all Newcastle fans "Keep the Faith" all the time the stadium stands there you can hope!

After 14 blank seasons at Cowley the Cheetahs returned to the same stadium!

Always dream big........ what if it comes true?

23 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A wouldn't have thought so?,,, however he might still help advise and with his connections, he maybe could put some feelers out about any resurrection?

I agree tbf, he got stuffed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Technik said:

I can only say to all Newcastle fans "Keep the Faith" all the time the stadium stands there you can hope!

After 14 blank seasons at Cowley the Cheetahs returned to the same stadium!

Always dream big........ what if it comes true?

Long long time since I've been to Oxford but we have housing literally 50 yards from the track on two sides so if we closed it'd be nearly impossible to get a licence to run again due to the noise problem's for the houses 

1 hour ago, Cookiefan said:

Another problem with Glasgow moving up is the fixed race nights, we have a lot of kids that come on  Friday night with their parents , that would be a huge loss racing on a Monday or Thursday

When the UK launched fixed race nights their two nights were Monday and Thursday...

And also Wednesday!!!!:D

To accommodate Poole..

Maybe they should have Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as their two race nights to accommodate Poole and Glasgow? 

If the night they run is the most important determinant in delivering their best crowds then work around the riders availability to deliver it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

When the UK launched fixed race nights their two nights were Monday and Thursday...

And also Wednesday!!!!:D

To accommodate Poole..

Maybe they should have Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as their two race nights to accommodate Poole and Glasgow? 

If the night they run is the most important determinant in delivering their best crowds then work around the riders availability to deliver it...

Poole are doing exactly that......

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, andys said:

Long long time since I've been to Oxford but we have housing literally 50 yards from the track on two sides so if we closed it'd be nearly impossible to get a licence to run again due to the noise problem's for the houses 

Surely Oxford has planning consent. I don't recall it needing a new consent to reopen, so if it closed again it could reopen at a later date (baring a major redesignation in the structure plan?)

Am hearing that NUFC are maybe looking at a new stadium development, out of town, in able to accommodate more fans than the city centre venue can. A wonder if they have any area's in mind?

2 + 2 = 99 ;)

1 hour ago, Diamondboy said:

Nice to see that the Diamonds website which SHOULD be the number 1 place to go for news has not been updated. Joke shop. What was the go fund me money spent on?

Shale to fix track

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole are doing exactly that......

Absolutely the right thing to do...

They and Glasgow though, and maybe Leicester, need to be in Div 1 given size of following and infrastructure..

And if it means them running on their best nights rather than a Mon or Thur, to get a crowd, in then so be it...

They are running a business after all...

• Like 2