British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

40 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A wouldn't have thought so?,,, however he might still help advise and with his connections, he maybe could put some feelers out about any resurrection?

To be honest if Newcastle Speedway does survive it's got to be at a new venue as i think Brough Park has run its cause. Speedway isn't really welcome there the track doesn't suit the modern bikes and if we are honest we don't see alot of good racing. Although a new set up won't come cheap and it won't be easy to find the right place and get permission due to noise regulations etc.. I know certain places have been looked into. Fingers crossed there is someone else still willing to take it on and create a good race track like Redcar or Workington's new track. Here's hoping.

• Like 7

Just now, mikebv said:

Absolutely the right thing to do...

They and Glasgow though, and maybe Leicester, need to be in Div 1 given size of following and infrastructure..

And if it means them running on their best nights rather than a Mon or Thur, to get a crowd, in then so be it...

They are running a business after all...

It's doubling up is the issue. If we go up and get Friday night then you'll have potentially 14 riders missing from the championship that night, guests and r/r galore!!

Then answer is obviously limit the doubling up, but riders are now so used to double wages good luck in changing it now

Sad news indeed...hopefully it can come back at a future date as it has many times in the past.

7 minutes ago, Cambasdiamond said:

Shale to fix track

Yeah right.

1 hour ago, Diamondboy said:

THJ is the man with the connections, however he was royally p*issed off by the attitude of the current promotion, that killed his enthusiasm. Can he be talked around? 

I personally think that ship has sailed but surely he would have links with the comets but I have no idea.

2 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

Nice to see that the Diamonds website which SHOULD be the number 1 place to go for news has not been updated. Joke shop. What was the go fund me money spent on?

24 minutes ago, Cambasdiamond said:

Shale to fix track

15 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

Yeah right.

Wasn't that to help cover the cost of dealing with 'covid restricted numbers' (last year) allowed in the stadium?,,, plenty room for social distancing in recent times tho!

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

It's doubling up is the issue. If we go up and get Friday night then you'll have potentially 14 riders missing from the championship that night, guests and r/r galore!!

Then answer is obviously limit the doubling up, but riders are now so used to double wages good luck in changing it now

But we have guests and RR galore now..

Was it quoted on here a couple of weeks back by someone who did the leg work that less than 40% of meetings have taken place with full septets contracted to the teams on view?

Therefore a top league running on nights when Denmark and Poland runs to accommodate Poole and Glasgow would be better off running RR when rider clashes happen rather than running full teams on Monday and Thursday..

(Ideally they would work around rider availability but probably very difficult to do logistically)..

The top league needs to be the pinnacle and flagship to sell the sport..

Riders may lose the chance to DU, but if nothing changes soon they may not get the chance to ride for any team, never mind two over here..

• Like 2

Sad news for the fans and the riders who are now out of a job.

Dwindling crowds and a team that was not competitive in the Championship.

17 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Sad news for the fans and the riders who are now out of a job.

Dwindling crowds and a team that was not competitive in the Championship.

You should maybe also factor in the current financial crisis, prices going through the roof, folk tossing a coin over takeaways or heating or shoes for the kid's,,, 'The Great Rethink' springs to mind? ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

You should maybe also factor in the current financial crisis, prices going through the roof, folk tossing a coin over takeaways or heating or shoes for the kid's,,, 'The Great Rethink' springs to mind? ;)

Takeaway RD...

Every time...:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Wasn't that to help cover the cost of dealing with 'covid restricted numbers' (last year) allowed in the stadium?,,, plenty room for social distancing in recent times tho!

It was to help the club get through to the end of last season (allegedly!)

11 hours ago, JCookie said:

Agreed. Can't really give English much credit if you believe the way it was left, but at least there was an element of reliability most seasons (and some decent sides). Grant has been about as successful as a promoter as he was as a rider. Far too pigheaded to make it work.

Plenty help offered in different ways of raising funds to help the club & even the coaches I have ran in the past raised decent money for the club ! I was asked to join the club supporters thing this year which I said yeah & I'll run the travel & when I advertised it on the forum for ( lewi Kerr's testimonial meeting) as some fans don't have Facebook etc I was asked to take it down which I said it's how I've always done it & had a good crowd on the buses but I was told we don't want to do it this way so I thought well that's me out already before I got the chance to run them... Sad day today but we knew it was coming 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

THJ is the man with the connections, however he was royally p*issed off by the attitude of the current promotion, that killed his enthusiasm. Can he be talked around? 

Hopefully but I think that shop has long sailed now 

1 minute ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Hopefully but I think that shop has long sailed now 

I love sailing shops.

• Haha 4

One of the main problems was his way or no way ,look how its ended .

• Like 2