British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

Really gutted for Newcastle fans, & to be fair to Rob Grant, he put his money into the club to save it for a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Really gutted for Newcastle fans, & to be fair to Rob Grant, he put his money into the club to save it for a couple of years.

He has only had 18 home meetings in them near couple of years( including a double header), 2 of them were opening meetings of a season so the crowd was “ healthy”, 4 of them were against local rivals Redcar, so the crowd was “healthy “  , 3 or 4 of them meetings he had the begging bowl out, so fans helped him out He allegedly had major sponsors this season and he has hardly had to pay out any points money over the last season and a half and his burger vans have been taking money aswell 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

He has only had 18 home meetings in them near couple of years( including a double header), 2 of them were opening meetings of a season so the crowd was “ healthy”, 4 of them were against local rivals Redcar, so the crowd was “healthy “  , 3 or 4 of them meetings he had the begging bowl out, so fans helped him out He allegedly had major sponsors this season and he has hardly had to pay out any points money over the last season and a half and his burger vans have been taking money aswell 

He still must have lost money ?

29 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

17 minutes ago, proud panther said:

He still must have lost money ?

Wasn't the burger van subsidising the speedway last season?

Also a few new/old bits of machinery for track work, new pits (which probably came off the back of a lorry ;)),,, maybe amounted to a fare cost.

5 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Wasn't the burger van subsidising the speedway last season?

Also a few new/old bits of machinery for track work, new pits (which probably came off the back of a lorry ;)),,, maybe amounted to a fare cost.

I had burger trailers for 10 years, & they wouldn't earn enough to subsidise a speedway business, trust me. Surely he had to give a bond to the BSPL before he could start trading ? Think this figure is £50k, sure THJ can correct me if I'm wrong. Rob will have lost money in my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, proud panther said:

I had burger trailers for 10 years, & they wouldn't earn enough to subsidise a speedway business, trust me. Surely he had to give a bond to the BSPL before he could start trading ? Think this figure is £50k, sure THJ can correct me if I'm wrong. Rob will have lost money in my opinion.

Maybe your burgers weren't too good ;)

No, am sure a heard that money from the burger van was being put back into the club, could be wrong tho. But agree that money must have been lost.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, penchev said:

Have to agree and the turbo twins at Poole were paid handsomely during the early days of sky tv 

It was 2 Yanks that fought to take more money out of the windfall TV deal and the rest followed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

What about the likes of Dave tinning who has put up his hard earned cash you would suspect and a couple of main team sponsors where has all of their funds gone and the reputed 50k investment at the start of the season…..where has that gone 

Did Dave and Steve put money into the promotion or were they just appointed Promoters to allow Rob to take a step back ? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

It was 2 Yanks that fought to take more money out of the windfall TV deal and the rest followed.

Is that rhyming slang?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, proud panther said:

The burgers were value for money u could still taste them 3 days later !

• Haha 4

He's probably a very good businessman outside Speedway, but his choice of number 1 and the reserves really does question his judgement, when it comes to Speedway, all he had to do was assemble a Team that could finish mid table, and win the majority at home, shouldn't have been that hard, as Newcastle always has had a massive home advantage, they have a good, loyal fan base, who would have supported a half decent Team.

• Like 2

The late call off didn’t just cost Newcastle it cost Plymouth as well programmes all printed now useless, food ordered now can’t be used ie pasties and the like paramedics private company used I believe they would need paying so how much has our promoter lost out he’s maintained a dignified silence but if it was me I’d be raging.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, penchev said:

Have to agree and the turbo twins at Poole were paid handsomely during the early days of sky tv 

The turbo twins weren’t racing in the early days of Sky tv. They only started riding together in 2010

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

The late call off didn’t just cost Newcastle it cost Plymouth as well programmes all printed now useless, food ordered now can’t be used ie pasties and the like paramedics private company used I believe they would need paying so how much has our promoter lost out he’s maintained a dignified silence but if it was me I’d be raging.

Pasties could be frozen if cooked.Defrost and re use

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

I would imagine this would be a legitimate claim against the BSPL bond. Certainly should be.