British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

17 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

Looking at exactly where Seaton Burn resides, it is in the Tyne and Wear County Boundary so it would be

possible to retain the name of Newcastle, Coventry Bees rode at a stadium in Brandon and it was outside

the city boundaries

I don't know why Redcar had to be called that name as to me Middlesbrough lost it Speedway team when it

left the last stadium it used.

Berwick raced at Ancroft 6 miles out of town but still called Berwick

Probably worth being called The George English Diamonds if it meant having a new track and club.

5 minutes ago, Normski said:

Berwick raced at Ancroft 6 miles out of town but still called Berwick

Redcar's track is technically in Middlesbrough but it is inside the Redcar & Cleveland Council boundary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

The real answer is I don't know for sure as I was under the impression that he/the club was bound under the old Bond remit of £15k not the new one you have quoted above; however and I don't know how true this is; I was told that he was losing around £5k over a pair of meetings home and away, So if that figure is correct that means he was still going to lose another £42.5k approximately to the end of the season with the 11 league matches he had left and then there was the 3 + 3 summer trophy meetings to do; so 17 meetings in total.

Therefore if the Bond was £50k he has in effect lost another  £7.5k by folding the club now and not completing the meetings; because he could have got his Bond back at the end of the season if he pulled out then... but if my guess is correct and he only has a £15k Bond to lose that means he actually saves around £27.5k by not running the meetings... makes perfect sense to do what he has done to be fair.... although finding another £30/40k in the grand scheme of things to run to the end of the season and not be branded "JER the Mug" could and would have been found if he had reached out AGAIN... after all... he wasn't shy last season was he?

However @KEITH M has made some very valid and salient points which I wont go over "per se" but the questions he puts forward are "where has all the cash gone"? as described  by Keith... the big sponsorship deal boasted about; the big meetings that drew in bumper crowds last season (Birmingham over £22k admission alone before food and special deals upstairs were factored in)... makes you wonder because the fans done their part for sure... makes me wonder anyway...

I put the link up below a few months back and not one of the "Gob Chites" the "Bar Room Accountants" who tried to defend the previous showers total disregard of the VAT laws by stating "as fact" every possible scenario they could to defend the indefensible... has had any comment on the "01 Jul 2021 Micro company accounts made up to 30 November 2020" entry; not one of them... which make fantastic reading by the way; and I for one can't wait to see what comes out on the 01 Jul 2022; Micro company accounts made up to the 30 November 2021; not long now... and then of course the 01 Jul 2023 Micro company accounts made up to 30 November 2022.... what a bed time read they will make...

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12324842/filing-history

It was all over when he picked the team he did... he wanted to bring his old BFF Stoke pal back (which he tried to do the first year and was told it would be a disaster) because he had a low average and would be a steal and 10 year ago had an average over 7... so what; and again James Wright had a long time out and he hasn't set the world on fire since coming back and it also took him a while to settle in... JER couldn't negotiate a deal if his life depended on it... Even the "die hard" diamonds gave him a chance (and the fans have been superb by the way) however after watching the team in the Stoke challenge match they knew it would be a long hard season... JER must have flipped a couple of burgers over his eyes because everyone knew and could see what was happening but that clown...

Since coming back in 2009 I have pumped over £110k into the spot in sponsorship which to be fair isn't a great deal in the overall scheme of things but its a hefty enough investment not to feel devastated at the position we now find ourselves at... and I thought by not attending this season that I wouldn't feel to bad if the club did go "Pop" but to be Totally Honest; "I am absolutely gutted" that it has ended up like this after all the "Billy Big Balls" talk of how easy it was going to be to run a Speedway Team and then to just pull the plug and walk away...

To all the Diamonds fans I am really sorry that we are in this situation because you have tried and you have supported some pretty useless individuals over recent times and I feel sorry for Dave Tinning who is on holiday at the moment and totally blameless in this fiasco... I hope this hasn't ruined your break too much buddy... lets see what next year brings because JER states he is pulling out now to give someone else the opportunity next year... I will save my thoughts on the reasoning behind that  "little Gem" for a future post... 

Regards
John

Oh and as a footnote to @proud panther  Buddy if you had  burger trailers for 10 years, and they wouldn't earn you enough to subsidise a Speedway business, your sellers were stealing off you marra; because if you run 10 burger vans properly you could subsidise the national debt never mind a Speedway team... trust me... THJ :cheers:

Thank you for your reply, is there any chance that you would be interested in resurrecting the Diamonds ? The money you have put into speedway is a very large amount of money in my opinion. As a footnote, I only had 2 burger trailers at weekends, & made a steady income, but also had a full time job lol.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

Looking at exactly where Seaton Burn resides, it is in the Tyne and Wear County Boundary so it would be

possible to retain the name of Newcastle, Coventry Bees rode at a stadium in Brandon and it was outside

the city boundaries

I don't know why Redcar had to be called that name as to me Middlesbrough lost it Speedway team when it

left the last stadium it used.

If I remember correctly, as part of the deal of building the track where it is, the local council insisted that the name 'Redcar' had to be in the team name somewhere.

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Have to agree with the footnote + factor in that Granty was butcher and would be churning out his own stuff.

Although he is a butcher, it would still be cheaper to buy frozen burgers when you factor the labour costs involved.

14 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Thank you for your reply, is there any chance that you would be interested in resurrecting the Diamonds ? The money you have put into speedway is a very large amount of money in my opinion. As a footnote, I only had 2 burger trailers at weekends, & made a steady income, but also had a full time job lol.

:rofl:

2 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Although he is a butcher, it would still be cheaper to buy frozen burgers when you factor the labour costs involved.

Well, if that's what you did,,, it's no wonder you didn't make much! IMO :t:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, proud panther said:

There have already been a few conversations but after last year's  debacle it's not for me... I think we have lost that wave of goodwill and the place is a knacker job sad to say...

It will need someone with very deep pockets however saying that I don't fully  believe JER when he said what he was losing...

Like the X Files "The truth is out there"... somewhere...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Quality means you can charge more,by all accounts Granty’s stuff was good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

He should maybe branch-out to Wagyu burgers? 

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

:rofl:

Well, if that's what you did,,, it's no wonder you didn't make much! IMO :t:

I didn't say I didn't make much, I said that being a butcher didn't make it cheaper to make your own burgers. Also, it wouldn't subsidise a speedway venture.

20 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Do you know his burgers were homemade, or are you just assuming they were because he owned a butchers ?

8 minutes ago, proud panther said:

I didn't say I didn't make much, I said that being a butcher didn't make it cheaper to make your own burgers. Also, it wouldn't subsidise a speedway venture.

16 box of Captain Bird's-eye, a bet? ;)

5 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Do you know his burgers were homemade, or are you just assuming they were because he owned a butchers ?

Maybe someone else made them, but a good burger expect knows a good burger! :t:

Maybe they come from the cash-n-carry?

Edited by ruffdiamond

10 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Haven’t a clue where his Burgers come from.If a Butcher can’t make  more money by producing his own burgers,the last thing he should have done was buy a Speedway Club.!!

The Andersens at Berwick certainly made their own.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2