British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

Nick Brown MP still kicking around - wasn’t he in a parliament group for Speedway? … see nothing or hear anything of him… was he only kicking around in the George English days? Where’s he banging the drum beat?…

1 hour ago, speedy19902006 said:

Nick Brown MP still kicking around - wasn’t he in a parliament group for Speedway? … see nothing or hear anything of him… was he only kicking around in the George English days? Where’s he banging the drum beat?…

He is still the MP for Newcastle upon Tyne East

Steve, I remember Nick Brown saying on Look North that he first saw Speedway at Brough Park in 1985,

the only problem with that statement, we were closed that year as you know after being in the top league

the prevous year

Edited by scampispeedway

15 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

Steve, I remember Nick Brown saying on Look North that he first saw Speedway at Brough Park in 1985,

the only problem with that statement we were closed that year as you know after being in the top league

the prevous year

Yep true...there was no Diamonds in 1985.

I've done a Google search for the plot of land mentioned, whilst a look at a Google map shows that there are

no buildings on the dry flat land, it is in a Green Belt Area and the business that want to use it must have

planning permission and be one of the following Manufacturing, Distribution, Energy Storage and Storage,

therefore I doubt if a sports stadium to run speedway would be welcomed 

Any prospective buyers have to ask the seller how much it is going for as it is not listed, I take from reading

the advert that they are looking for buyers that can create regular employment for the area. 

Edited by scampispeedway

The only hope we have is someone takes over from Mr grant ,can't see Newcastle Council helping out in any way .

7 minutes ago, highside said:

The only hope we have is someone takes over from Mr grant ,can't see Newcastle Council helping out in any way .

Is that site off the A19 North Tyneside 

5 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Is that site off the A19 North Tyneside 

The one in the ad is.

perhaps Gateshead Council might be more open ?

there is a great location just off Albany Road/Quarryfield Road, behind the Dynamix Skate Park, currently a disused or rarely used Moto Cross/Off Road track. good parking, walking distance from gateshead interchange and all main routes etc

there is a railway line right next to it so noise should not be an issue ? with the busy A184 also adjacent, while its clearly already had permission for some sort of motor sport activities.

if you want to google map for a look, search "downcast studios" - its to the east over the railway line.

Edited by nmagee72
extra detail
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, nmagee72 said:

perhaps Gateshead Council might be more open ?

there is a great location just off Albany Road/Quarryfield Road, behind the Dynamix Skate Park, currently a disused or rarely used Moto Cross/Off Road track. good parking, walking distance from gateshead interchange and all main routes etc

there is a railway line right next to it so noise should not be an issue ? with the busy A184 also adjacent, while its clearly already had permission for some sort of motor sport activities.

if you want to google map for a look, search "downcast studios" - its to the east over the railway line.

Is that not marked for development?  Or is it just the skatepark/area around it being marked up for revamping? 

Edited by HectorRacing
Area of development

I've just used Google map to have a look at the disused Motocross circuit and quite honestly it would cost a fortune to

level the site which has no easy road access as you have remove the huge soil embankment behind some concrete blocks

blocking the way into the site.

From the look at the general state of the site, no bikes have been on the circuit for quite a while and there is really

one narrow road access off the main road to Sunderland.

5 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

I've just used Google map to have a look at the disused Motocross circuit and quite honestly it would cost a fortune to

level the site which has no easy road access as you have remove the huge soil embankment behind some concrete blocks

blocking the way into the site.

From the look at the general state of the site, no bikes have been on the circuit for quite a while and there is really

one narrow road access off the main road to Sunderland.

Shame we cant find a millionaire

rebuild the motocross track, as this is popular hobby now. And add a speedway venue here too.