British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

2 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

But who wrote that statement ? 

Who said that Grant took the fence down???? You?

3 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Why would the landlords remove the fencing. That doesn’t make sense at all. Why pay someone to remove it when they can remain where they are like they have for the previous 90 years. 
is this grant removing them so if anyone wanting to take over has extra expense   Now the company is kaput he won’t receive any money if he sells them 

The hasn't been removed it's more like been ripped out & just dumped & not in a tidy way 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Why would the landlords remove the fencing. That doesn’t make sense at all. Why pay someone to remove it when they can remain where they are like they have for the previous 90 years. 
is this grant removing them so if anyone wanting to take over has extra expense   Now the company is kaput he won’t receive any money if he sells them 

I believe that the stadium owners instructed Grant to remove the fence on the home straight. Dogs track staff had cut the bottom portion of the fence netting in order to cut the grass that was growing under it. This caused the decision from the stadium owners who then wanted to remove it completely, and made Grant make plans to make a portable fence. This fence was in sections interlocking, and needed to be put up before every speedway meeting. Just another job for the dwindling track staff to do. I am led to believe that Grant obtained the sections from Coventry Speedway.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I believe that the stadium owners instructed Grant to remove the fence on the home straight. Dogs track staff had cut the bottom portion of the fence netting in order to cut the grass that was growing under it. This caused the decision from the stadium owners who then wanted to remove it completely, and made Grant make plans to make a portable fence. This fence was in sections interlocking, and needed to be put up before every speedway meeting. Just another job for the dwindling track staff to do. I am led to believe that Grant obtained the sections from Coventry Speedway.

Also Dave I was told that the greyhound people ( not sure how true tho ) that they wanted the Newcastle track staff to lift the dogs starting gate before a speedway match & then lift it back onto the greyhound track after the speedway sheeting was put away which meant that the sheeters had to do even more work.. & from what I seen towards the end some of the new helpers never had a clue what to do unlike the our band of volunteers/workers 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Also Dave I was told that the greyhound people ( not sure how true tho ) that they wanted the Newcastle track staff to lift the dogs starting gate before a speedway match & then lift it back onto the greyhound track after the speedway sheeting was put away which meant that the sheeters had to do even more work.. & from what I seen towards the end some of the new helpers never had a clue what to do unlike the our band of volunteers/workers 

TBH, moving the traps wasn't hard and actually made the job easier (own goal), pity they hadn't insisted on it years ago!!!,,, the moving of the pin kerb, however, was a right little gem tho. Although the process to overcome that little problem was well in hand before closure. Call me a cynic but, you know that feeling when someone is trying to p!ss you off?,,, just hurdle after hurdle. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 5:39 AM, ruffdiamond said:

TBH, moving the traps wasn't hard and actually made the job easier (own goal), pity they hadn't insisted on it years ago!!!,,, the moving of the pin kerb, however, was a right little gem tho. Although the process to overcome that little problem was well in hand before closure. Call me a cynic but, you know that feeling when someone is trying to p!ss you off?,,, just hurdle after hurdle. ;)

You're a cynic!

In fact just checked the online dictionary and you are definitely a cynic!

One of the definitions even read @ruffdiamond to be  cynical; cynic like! so yes you're a cynic... :t: ;)  :o

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You're a cynic!

In fact just checked the online dictionary and you are definitely a cynic!

One of the definitions even read @ruffdiamond to be  cynical; cynic like! so yes your a cynic... :t: ;)  :o

A think you are definitely correct in this scenario, a suppose there will be many of the opion that, the dog folk done they're utmost best to welcome speedway and help it's longevity at Brough.

• Haha 1

So angry Rob Grant is at Berwick speedway wearing his Newcastle Diamonds   jacket after shafting us big time. Hope he does not cross my path. #newcastlediamondshaftedbythebutcher

1 hour ago, Mamapotts said:

So angry Rob Grant is at Berwick speedway wearing his Newcastle Diamonds   jacket after shafting us big time. Hope he does not cross my path. #newcastlediamondshaftedbythebutcher

Not entitled to wear it now and also not entitled to expect free admission and programme.

Interestingly, looking through things a few weeks ago I found all of Robs Rider Contacts from 2000 to 2003.

He certainly covered all bases with Sponsorship, Guaranteed rates with free oil, tyre and fuel (Home and Away), free hotels for him and mechanic at away meetings, and increased travel allowance. We didn't do such comprehensive contracts like that for the top riders so I guess Darryl had a soft spot for him. Nevermind, we got a better than expected transfer fee when we sold him to Berwick so we didn't lose on him. Good riddance.

Interesting now talking about dogs staff cutting wires to allegedly cut the grass. Every Sunday morning we had to go around and repair the fence fastenings, repair cut fence tensioning wires, gear moved around so we couldn't find them, and the varied vandalism which was our usual Sunday early jobs to do before the jobs we went for to get ready for the training school or the evening meetings. Rob was part of the dogs staff then. Don't ask about the fence and posts, that were mowed down by a tractor after the previous Saturday dogs meeting. Life with any of the Dogs staff was never anything pleasant and helpful, all spurred on by their Stadium racing manager who used to countenance anything that would annoy us in the hope they got rid of speedway from Brough. They will be happy now.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Not entitled to wear it now and also not entitled to expect free admission and programme.

Interestingly, looking through things a few weeks ago I found all of Robs Rider Contacts from 2000 to 2003.

He certainly covered all bases with Sponsorship, Guaranteed rates with free oil, tyre and fuel (Home and Away), free hotels for him and mechanic at away meetings, and increased travel allowance. We didn't do such comprehensive contracts like that for the top riders so I guess Darryl had a soft spot for him. Nevermind, we got a better than expected transfer fee when we sold him to Berwick so we didn't lose on him. Good riddance.

Interesting now talking about dogs staff cutting wires to allegedly cut the grass. Every Sunday morning we had to go around and repair the fence fastenings, repair cut fence tensioning wires, gear moved around so we couldn't find them, and the varied vandalism which was our usual Sunday early jobs to do before the jobs we went for to get ready for the training school or the evening meetings. Rob was part of the dogs staff then. Don't ask about the fence and posts, that were mowed down by a tractor after the previous Saturday dogs meeting. Life with any of the Dogs staff was never anything pleasant and helpful, all spurred on by their Stadium racing manager who used to countenance anything that would annoy us in the hope they got rid of speedway from Brough. They will be happy now.

Surely he can wear what he wants?

Interesting you should look at a contract for 2003, when he left for Berwick in July 2002! LOL!

Might have mentioned this before, but we (Dalbers , Dave Fraser and myself) tried to talk him out of wanting to leave when he joined us for a trip up to Glasgow when he was out injured in 2002.  Most of the way there and most of the way back we tried to make him see sense.  The following night, he came up to the gantry (Dalbers was doing the commentary for JAG Videos Live in those days) only for him to tell us he'd handed in a transfer request.  So clearly (despite him telling everyone it was the biggest mistake of his career) he hasn't learnt anything in all the years since.

We won't mention bomb scares......

We can go on & on about the way young granty ran it but it's gone now & if there wasn't a rat in the pack in the ( meeting last November that John Courtney spoke very well from the floor along with a good plan in place ) reporting back to our former owner/promoter/former rider.. things would have much more different nowadays but nope it was Robs club & he done it his way & now diamonds are ( not ) forever.. so thank you for your input Mr Rat 

Edited by Justgotmecpc

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Actually, all former Berwick riders are welcomed at Shielfield Park, and have a lifetime pass to meetings.

• Like 3

I was talking to a long term sponsor on Thursday he told me at the start of the season he along with other sponsors their money was no longer needed , now look how it ended up .

On 7/23/2022 at 12:38 PM, Pinny said:

George English was a fine promoter at Newcastle , his record proves that. Having met him years ago at Newcastle (around 2009ish) , you could tell he lived and breathed Newcastle Speedway. However after reading posts since coinciding with his departure , things seem to of gone sour. 

Either way, Newcastle ran year in year out whilst he was involved and since he departed the club, its gone downhill rapidly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highside said:

I was talking to a long term sponsor on Thursday he told me at the start of the season he along with other sponsors their money was no longer needed , now look how it ended up .

It’s things like this that annoy you, no other club in whole of speedway would refuse any sponsorship however big or small.

It now seems he went into the season with lack of commitment and if any problems he would just pull the plug, despite taking sponsorship money off others.

Well done to Mama Potts for telling him her feelings last night… shame I didn’t bump into him so I could tell him mine.. oh and he now has an unofficial bodyguard following him around haha