British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

9 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Qooops, 1880 :D

It's OK, easy mistake to make,,, still tho 55 back in the day was a canny number.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winditon said:

Didn't even have the bottle to let his riders know he was closing down. They found out via a text message from Steve Pate. 

Shocking 

• Like 1

And told his pal to post it on here, which he did in early hours in the morning.

Then the press release came out.. so professional!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tapeworm said:

Sorry to see them in difficulty but Newcastle are still included in Championship table on BSPA's website. Perhaps BSPA think Newcastle will complete their "postponed" fixtures without starting gates, air fence, track grading machinery, etc?

probably waiting for the person that does "the numbers" to come back from their summer holidays :drink:

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

And told his pal to post it on here, which he did in early hours in the morning.

Then the press release came out.. so professional!

I feel for the volunteers/staff whom were out in the past week prior to the announcement sorting the track out. 

The press release is more garbage now, doing now, so someone else can take over easily. Yet nowts gunna be left at BP for speedway once its all sold

• Like 4

Dumb question but does he keep his promoters licence? If not can someone else reopen without buying him out?

26 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

I feel for the volunteers/staff whom were out in the past week prior to the announcement sorting the track out. 

The press release is more garbage now, doing now, so someone else can take over easily. Yet nowts gunna be left at BP for speedway once its all sold

Yes I heard that to, shocking! 

Quicker at selling the equipment than giving fans their season ticket money back :mad:

He is just a disgrace and if this is doing what’s best for Newcastle Speedway :(

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Dumb question but does he keep his promoters licence? If not can someone else reopen without buying him out?

Will the license not be returned to the BSPL 

• Thanks 1

Smash it all to bits and start again, follow the instructions and find where you went wrong, it works with lego. A couple of tweaks here and there ain't gonna mend it.

11 hours ago, Aceslider said:

In some ways it’s akin to the demise of a total community however small and just prey that something good can rise from the ashes and bring speedway back to Brough in the very near future!

Very sad news......even more so given that the 'Comets' are now reviving, always liked my visits to BP.

Just a thought though......Newcastle Speedway, down the many years, has suffered similar closures.....the 1929 to 2019 was not 90 years of unbroken speedway was it. I recall (memory test here) seeing Anders Michaneck(spelling error?) lording it at Brough in 1970 (?).....then the next season Diamonds were gone......came back again mid-seventies wow the 'Owen brothers' my Comets had there work cut out matching Tom and Joey around Brough.....although sometimes we did.....Comets went ti*s up and I lost track of Diamonds but I'm sure another closure happened (you'll know better)....anyway what I'm really saying is Speedway does so often have a phoenix quality....the Diamonds know this and could be back.....I sure hope so.

BTW my forum mate THJ sounded off didn't he........passion galore from him.....nice to know he's helping at Northside.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Very sad news......even more so given that the 'Comets' are now reviving, always liked my visits to BP.

Just a thought though......Newcastle Speedway, down the many years, has suffered similar closures.....the 1929 to 2019 was not 90 years of unbroken speedway was it. I recall (memory test here) seeing Anders Michaneck(spelling error?) lording it at Brough in 1970 (?).....then the next season Diamonds were gone......came back again mid-seventies wow the 'Owen brothers' my Comets had there work cut out matching Tom and Joey around Brough.....although sometimes we did.....Comets went ti*s up and I lost track of Diamonds but I'm sure another closure happened (you'll know better)....anyway what I'm really saying is Speedway does so often have a phoenix quality....the Diamonds know this and could be back.....I sure hope so.

BTW my forum mate THJ sounded off didn't he........passion galore from him.....nice to know he's helping at Northside.

As far as I can work out, closure years have been:

1931-1937, 1952-1960, 1971-1974, 1984-1985, 1988 and 1995-1996, so 26 years in total without speedway at Brough. This does not include the War years.

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I think (I could be wrong), but he still is the Club Owner, so whoever (if anybody) wants to take over, they will have to buy him out.  They would also have to apply for a Promoters licence and, similar to when Rob took over, if they have not been a promoter before (or, indeed not currently a Promoter), they would have to have someone with Promoting experience to 'oversee' the operation.

If any of this is wrong, I am sure someone can correct me.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

probably waiting for the person that does "the numbers" to come back from their summer holidays :drink:

Well he still seems able to update the table daily from his holiday venue with recent results! Maybe he's waiting for Newcastle to formally declare one way or another. Meantime the published table could be giving a false picture until results against Newcastle are expunged. Very sad business when it happens mid season. And how about recompensing promoters who paid out appearance and/or points money to their riders for a probably null and void away fixture?

I hope please please they will come back next season 2023, all teams coming back next year like Swindon Robins.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yes I heard that to, shocking! 

Quicker at selling the equipment than giving fans their season ticket money back :mad:

He is just a disgrace and if this is doing what’s best for Newcastle Speedway :(

Absolute coward he is.

• Like 3