British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

2 minutes ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

They don’t need crowds in and they don’t need to improve the facilities as most of the revenue comes from the broadcast BAGS Meetings 

Agree,,, where is there any money to be made by having speedway there, apart from the rent?

(The dog track improvements, superficial or not, might look better on the telly)?

Edited by ruffdiamond

3 hours ago, HectorRacing said:

These companies making stadium rent expensive? Eventually they will probably shut them down as the dogs cant bring in alot? (I may be wrong) then sell the land for houses/etc. 

It is earmarked for that but when the owners of the stadium site are already minted they can wait for the price they want for it

It's sad to see the end of the diamond's. 

I believe we never see the diamond's return to B.P.  rent is just to much 

The only way we could see speedway return to Newcastle is new stadium. But who's going to pay for that. Only way to make it pay is making it a mixed sports stadium. Community hub. all owned buy the speedway club rent out to different activities. 

The club would need to make money from other things to sapport and prop up the club 

It's a shame Newcastle Speedway is too isolated/small time to get anywhere at the racecourse. If they are going to build the training ground there then that would be football, golf, racing, 5-a-side all in one place.  A proper sporting community, imagine speedway too?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JCookie said:

It's a shame Newcastle Speedway is too isolated/small time to get anywhere at the racecourse. If they are going to build the training ground there then that would be football, golf, racing, 5-a-side all in one place.  A proper sporting community, imagine speedway too?

Gosforth Park is a lovely place, can't see 'Trevor' being best pleased if speedway types were to turn up!,,, probably still clearing up the mess from the 'Winter Wonderland' thing? ;)

A Google Search just now reveals the owners of Newcastle Race course are ARC who currently own Brough Park,

so I doubt if they would allowed  a track to be built anywhere in the Parkland whilst Brough Park is still available

for motor sport.

18 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

A Google Search just now reveals the owners of Newcastle Race course are ARC who currently own Brough Park,

so I doubt if they would allowed  a track to be built anywhere in the Parkland whilst Brough Park is still available

for motor sport.

Don't think they'd be allowed, whether Brough was available or not?,,, a would love it, I could walk along.

Although, over the road (Sandy Lane), its pretty industrial, (before Weetslade), and maybe that could be looked at?

Edited by ruffdiamond

Euromillions jackpot is £191 million on Friday. Good luck!

• Like 4

Seemed a bit strange or maybe hollow reading the speedway star today & nowt in it from Newcastle. Sad times 

I think looking at all things about the Sport in general and the closure of Newcastle Diamonds, I will await to

see what happens in the close season to see if anybody is willing to take on the huge job of resurectling the

Club for 2023.

The last owner was the only one who was willing to give it a go and unfortunately lost a lot of money running

for two years before cutting his losses and closing the Club mid season.

I started watching in 1964 and followed the team home and away for over 40 years and want to say a big thank

you to Tom Owen and all the riders who rode for the Newcastle Diamonds from 1975-1983, when we had the

greatest success and made going on the away trips such a pleasure to watch the team performing.

If nothing happens before the start of next year and I will stop looking on the computer and call it a day.   

Edited by scampispeedway

Newcastle closed at the end of the 1970 season and didn’t run again till 1975. It’s different times and the stadium might not be there after a few years sadly.

GWC, i think that the land Brough Park sits on can only be used for sport and not housing whilst the Greyhounds

are making enough money from the BAGS meetings, I doubt if the present owners are going to sell it  off for quite

a while.

Remember that the Stadium was first built in 1928 for the Greyhounds and Speedway was tried the following year

so its sporting history goes back nearly one hundred years.

Edited by scampispeedway

Is there any updates on any sale happening yet? Or thats it. 

and yeah brough park be gone eventually sadly, housing or a tescos. Or they may compete with who can build the tallest building in newcastle competition.  

4 hours ago, HectorRacing said:

Is there any updates on any sale happening yet? Or thats it. 

and yeah brough park be gone eventually sadly, housing or a tescos. Or they may compete with who can build the tallest building in newcastle competition.  

Why would a tall building be built in an area that is a sh!t hole?