British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

Isn't the polish rule rumoured to be getting scrapped next season? Whether ends up as the solution who knows.

Danish league seems to have taken off recently, 5 rider teams might be worth looking at.

As far as Glasgow moving up, I heard on one of the BSN streams that Peter facenna had told Ian brannan didn't want to move up until had won the league. That was news to me as have always just said championship makes most sense for Glasgow.

8 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Isn't the polish rule rumoured to be getting scrapped next season? Whether ends up as the solution who knows.

Danish league seems to have taken off recently, 5 rider teams might be worth looking at.

As far as Glasgow moving up, I heard on one of the BSN streams that Peter facenna had told Ian brannan didn't want to move up until had won the league. That was news to me as have always just said championship makes most sense for Glasgow.

When you consider if Glasgow moved up their "local" derby would be Belle Vue it makes no sense to move up when you have the rivalries with Edinburgh less than 40 minutes away and Berwick in under 2hrs.

Although we don't meet half as much as we used to in Mickey Mouse friendly cup challenges Edinburgh and Glasgow need each other though both running on the same night must have affected the gates.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geoff100 said:

THU thoughts?

Geoff from what THJ has said on here in the past and what he has told me a couple of times, I don't think he will comment any further 

sad day for Newcastle but as be said several times why has the bspa or whatever they are called these day let an under strength team get this far into the season 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neila said:

Geoff from what THJ has said on here in the past and what he has told me a couple of times, I don't think he will comment any further 

sad day for Newcastle but as be said several times why has the bspa or whatever they are called these day let an under strength team get this far into the season 

And the BSPA no doubt insisted Newcastle paid out to get the track sorted about a month ago which probably had an adverse affect on The Diamonds' finances.

Time for major changes in the sports ruling body

11 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

When you consider if Glasgow moved up their "local" derby would be Belle Vue it makes no sense to move up when you have the rivalries with Edinburgh less than 40 minutes away and Berwick in under 2hrs.

Although we don't meet half as much as we used to in Mickey Mouse friendly cup challenges Edinburgh and Glasgow need each other though both running on the same night must have affected the gates.

The Edinburgh derbies will be a thing of the past at the end of this season... except for early season challenges against a Monarchs team made up of riders with very tenuous links to the club 

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

The Edinburgh derbies will be a thing of the past at the end of this season... except for early season challenges against a Monarchs team made up of riders with very tenuous links to the club 

Certainly hope not. Like to think they'll have had some irons on the fire as been on cards for a few years at armadale. I'd be hopeful they'll find a new home

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Wouldn’t bank on 1 League next year.

To many promoters with their own Agendas 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fina said:

That does tie in with the published accounts and sound more realistic.  Seemed odd to me that the new company would taken on a VAT debt from the previous company, as I have seen suggested in a few places, but I am learning that speedway has a few rules that dont make sense to me.

The new company was set up because the previous company had a vat debt, the new company did not carry the debt, you knowing about books, allegedly, should see that, you have looked at the published accounts after all so it shouldn’t need explaining to you really.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Certainly hope not. Like to think they'll have had some irons on the fire as been on cards for a few years at armadale. I'd be hopeful they'll find a new home

I really hope so too... but if it's anything like the Coventry fiasco they had years of warning yet did absolutely nothing about getting a new home. I fear Edinburgh & Peterborough will go the same way, although there is a dog track in Peterborough I understand

Poole reckoned it was 30% cheaper to run Championship rather than Prem. This is partly due to doubling up (or down) riders accepting a lower pay rate in the Championship as they have the comfort or financial cushion of a Prem place. It doesn't just apply to heat leaders either. There will always be stronger and weaker teams in whatever format the leagues take. Even bringing back some sort of rider control can only work up to a point and many riders won't be told where they can ride. A way forward is to have one league with 2 regional divisions plus an NDL.

Nice to see that the Diamonds website which SHOULD be the number 1 place to go for news has not been updated. Joke shop. What was the go fund me money spent on?

31 minutes ago, penchev said:

To many promoters with their own Agendas 

If 6 PL Clubs get the lions share of the TV money - which they do - and the rest feed off scraps of the TV money - which they do, then it's not rocket science to calculate that if the TV was equally shared that a number of the PL clubs would not be self sufficient.

The real issue goes back 20 years, when the TV money was at least 10 x more than it is now and was wasted by all concerned at the time and wasn't invested long term in te Sport. People keep going on about a Darts / Snooker Hearn type revolution, that financial revolution happened all those years ago via Sky, it could and should have made Speedway a TOP 5 sport in terms of profile, it was used, abused and lost and Speedway now is struggling to be in the top 50 Sports in the UK.

A participation of around 100, a dwindling and aging fan base and a set up that makes anyone used to professional sport think it's some kind of joke.

The current Management Committee are as much victims of their predecessors pre 1990 as they are victims of their own inadequacies. 

• Like 2

Surely speedway has always been in a precarious position as clubs have never been set in stone, they have always come and gone. 

Let's hope Newcastle can be saved!

I really sympathise with everyone connected to Newcastle Speedway. Sad news indeed

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

Another problem with Glasgow moving up is the fixed race nights, we have a lot of kids that come on  Friday night with their parents , that would be a huge loss racing on a Monday or Thursday

• Like 2