British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn v Sheffield 23/06

I'm not criticising anybody's comments, because you are obviously all entitled to your own thoughts.

What I will say, is you like your sport, which is why you go, and share your views on here, irrespective of what I might agree or otherwise with. But what I would say is that please be grateful you/we still have a stadium to watch that sport we enjoy in, unlike the poor Newcastle supporters suddenly. Also the possibility that Birmingham, Edinburgh & Peterborough could all be nothing more than history next year.

Yes, we're not getting the results that we want as supporters of our particular club, and yes, certain riders aren't doing as well as we think they are capable of. But like us, they are all human beings that have the same everyday problems in life like all of us, and we don't know how they feel on any given night.

They put their lives on the line so that we can have an evening out doing what we like doing, and if their points are low, their wage packet is lower than they'd want, so their below par performances at the moment, aren't something they want or enjoy.

Changing the subject. Regarding the comment Bald Bloke made about a foul mouthed woman shouting out the word of paedophile at a rider, is totally unacceptable, as is the few people on the home straight laughing and cheering because Craig Cook was forced to retire from the meeting through injury. I heard comments about the way he walked out on King's Lynn, and that's why they didn't like him. Pathetic even if that had been the case, but it wasn't, he was released, or sacked which ever way you want to put it. He didn't let the club down.

We've got the Premiership Pairs coming up in 2-weeks time, where we are joint leaders, so lets get behind the riders who represent us that night, and show the team your support for the rest of the campaign, both on good nights and poor nights.       

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

I added that one to make it 4 wins in 34 races;). Compared to 30 wins in 77 last season. After last nights meeting his average so far for this season is 5.88.

He had a stonker of a season in last year, and i admit he was first on my team sheet for this season, but it was always going to be a risk whether he could keep it up.

I don't think he's a number one in fairness. But if we are going to give our riders a track which is so grippy that it's difficult to pass on then they need to be gating much, much better than last night.

We are bang average at the moment, no Puk or Jack doesn't help but the early season spark has disappeared unfortunately. 

Teams this year in premiership are all pretty similar standard wise, so it doesn't take a lot to tip the balance of fixtures one way or the other.

Losing NKI and Jack has certainly affected us.

We certainly benefited early season in League Cup

Would argue Ipswich having 'luxury' of r/r for Paul Starke at no. 2 made them stronger when they rode against us

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I don't think he's a number one in fairness. But if we are going to give our riders a track which is so grippy that it's difficult to pass on then they need to be gating much, much better than last night.

We are bang average at the moment, no Puk or Jack doesn't help but the early season spark has disappeared unfortunately. 

I have enjoyed some pretty good racing this season on a slicker track. Last night was back to how it used to be. I agree Richard isn't a number one, and he is ok as a second string, but came on a high average. Was good to see Jack there in good spirits.

3 hours ago, Mimmo said:

I'm not criticising anybody's comments, because you are obviously all entitled to your own thoughts.

What I will say, is you like your sport, which is why you go, and share your views on here, irrespective of what I might agree or otherwise with. But what I would say is that please be grateful you/we still have a stadium to watch that sport we enjoy in, unlike the poor Newcastle supporters suddenly. Also the possibility that Birmingham, Edinburgh & Peterborough could all be nothing more than history next year.

Yes, we're not getting the results that we want as supporters of our particular club, and yes, certain riders aren't doing as well as we think they are capable of. But like us, they are all human beings that have the same everyday problems in life like all of us, and we don't know how they feel on any given night.

They put their lives on the line so that we can have an evening out doing what we like doing, and if their points are low, their wage packet is lower than they'd want, so their below par performances at the moment, aren't something they want or enjoy.

Changing the subject. Regarding the comment Bald Bloke made about a foul mouthed woman shouting out the word of paedophile at a rider, is totally unacceptable, as is the few people on the home straight laughing and cheering because Craig Cook was forced to retire from the meeting through injury. I heard comments about the way he walked out on King's Lynn, and that's why they didn't like him. Pathetic even if that had been the case, but it wasn't, he was released, or sacked which ever way you want to put it. He didn't let the club down.

We've got the Premiership Pairs coming up in 2-weeks time, where we are joint leaders, so lets get behind the riders who represent us that night, and show the team your support for the rest of the campaign, both on good nights and poor nights.       

Unfortunately, just being grateful in is what's killing the sport. It is literally just down to the diehards with some bringing their grand(kids). 

As a former diehard, I just couldn't take being mugged off any longer & British Speedway is falling deeper in to a disastrous state. 

I'm not longer shocked or saddened by track closures. The finger of blame has to stop being pointed at negative comments &/or those not attending. The focus is 100%, on those running the sport. If the Promoters are not interested in listening then there are consequences. 

• Like 3

I see Cookie made a miraculous recovery to be able to ride for Glasgow tonight, although according to updates only managed a race when he ploughed into Nick Morris who shed a chain.

Not having a lot of luck...

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Unfortunately, just being grateful in is what's killing the sport. It is literally just down to the diehards with some bringing their grand(kids). 

As a former diehard, I just couldn't take being mugged off any longer & British Speedway is falling deeper in to a disastrous state. 

I'm not longer shocked or saddened by track closures. The finger of blame has to stop being pointed at negative comments &/or those not attending. The focus is 100%, on those running the sport. If the Promoters are not interested in listening then there are consequences. 

Being grateful to have a team is not killing the sport it's keeping it going.  We know absolutely no rider is happy to race and score no points, no promoter is pleased losing meetings, no passionate fan is happy losing meetings but afa fans go it's no good staying away from your club if things aren't going good because that's a sure way to lose ya club!!!!  

Let's keep supporting our club, riders and management, as we know all the stars have to be aligned for club success, it will happen again, I'm there!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Trees said:

We know absolutely no rider is happy to race and score no points

unless they're on a very good guarantee whereby they get that money whatever they score

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Being grateful to have a team is not killing the sport it's keeping it going.  We know absolutely no rider is happy to race and score no points, no promoter is pleased losing meetings, no passionate fan is happy losing meetings but afa fans go it's no good staying away from your club if things aren't going good because that's a sure way to lose ya club!!!!  

Let's keep supporting our club, riders and management, as we know all the stars have to be aligned for club success, it will happen again, I'm there!

If a club closes down, who are you blaming? 

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

If a club closes down, who are you blaming? 

Fans basically, most of our clubs have had numerous owners (not so many at Lynn obviously) but they only exist because of the fans, no fans, no club. 

Of course there are good and bad owners, no owner is perfect but the majority of owners of speedway clubs are pretty passionate about their clubs and do their best (some see their best as good, some rubbish but that's people for ya).  

Of course owners of stadiums have sold stadiums from under the feet of the fans, many, many past owners, that's another story!

Edited by Trees

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

unless they're on a very good guarantee whereby they get that money whatever they score

Yes true and maybe in this day and age when there is barely enough riders to go round the riders have got the upper hand when negotiating but surely promoters only get burnt once?  I've always thought promoters should offer a win bonus within reason.

Years ago riders had percentages of gate receipts, promoters have done all sorts of deals by the looks of it .....

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Fans basically, most of our clubs have had numerous owners (not so many at Lynn obviously) but they only exist because of the fans, no fans, no club. 

Of course there are good and bad owners, no owner is perfect but the majority of owners of speedway clubs are pretty passionate about their clubs and do their best (some see their best as good, some rubbish but that's people for ya).  

Of course owners of stadiums have sold stadiums from under the feet of the fans, many, many past owners, that's another story!

Name a club that closed because of it's fans? 

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Name a club that closed because of it's fans? 

Fans haven't taken away that emotional attachment to their team that a team sport has to have to have any chance of success, the promoters chose to do this...

Fans haven't decided to run meetings on nights that their employees dictate they run, rather than when the fans can turn up, the promoters chose to do this...

,Fans haven't decided the admission fee.which is designed to pay a good number of riders to not have to work for six months of the year, promoters chose to do this...

Fans haven't decided the ludicrous operating model that brings such very little credibility, and media coverage as you cannot take it seriously, the promoters chose to do this...

This year's PCMM at the NSS, last year's SON at the NSS, the GP Challenges at Glasgow, and obviously Cardiff's crowd every time they run shows just how much of a following the sport still has in this country...

Therefore, it is clear....

The 'SPORT' retains a reasonably large following in the UK...

But the domestic leagues don't have the same number following them....

And for that to be the case, it definitely is not the fault of the fans....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm afraid the main reason clubs close is because of the people who run them and run the sport. Give people a good product at value for money and they will buy it, it has ever been thus. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Maybe just maybe lynns team ain’t that good? Couple of lucky wins at start of season against teams missing riders and people started hyping them up to be better than they are  lol